Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilltop1155

Review of BlueStar 36" wide 6-burner rangetop

hilltop1155
10 years ago

I have had my 6-burner rangetop in place now for about five months. Thought I would share my experience.

We installed it ourselves and the installation of the rangetop went pretty well. One burner, however, didn't fit. We disassembled it and the burner support seemed to be shaped exactly backward from the shape necessary for a good fit. We pulled out that part, and sure enough, someone had written a note on the back in marker that said it was made wrong. After a good laugh, we called the factory (emailed them a photo) and they also had a good laugh. Then they promptly shipped me a replacement part. They were very nice and helpful, and I was happy with the service.

My configuration is standard, with the 22K BTU burners on the front right and left, 15K in front center, rear center and rear right, and the low-BTU warmer burner at rear left. We find this works pretty well. I don't think I really needed two of the 22K burners, and maybe another warmer burner would be nice, but it probably really depends on the meal I'm cooking and overall I'm not complaining. I do LOVE the warmer burners, and man, if you want some heat under your pan, those 22K ones rock.

The burners are heavy and I find them hard to wipe down with a rag. Fortunately, they never look bad even when they aren't perfectly clean. If you're fussy about perfect cleanliness on your stove, you might not like it. In our case, we came from a white cooktop to this, and we are delighted that it doesn't show every crumb. The pull-out spill tray works great.

The huge knobs are out of the way enough to stay clean on their own, unlike a "cooktop" where the knobs are on top. This location might be a worry if I had small children, but I don't and I love it as it is.

The rangetop really stands proud of the front of the cabinet. I thought it was going to be more flush than that. I was prepared, however, for the other drawback, which is that you MUST use one of their backguards. I plan to have tile installed behind my stovetop, and I still have to use the island backguard, which is apparently the same one they use for the range. I think this is silly because there is no oven below the rangetop so there is no heat rising through the holes in the top of the backguard. Because the rangetop is so deep, the tile is to be installed above the backguard rather than behind it, and the holes interfere with a smooth transition there. It seems to me that BlueStar should come out with backguard without holes for this type of installation. Apparently BlueStar expects people to use a flat stainless wall protector that would fit behind this backguard, but I really prefer tile - plus, my stove is 36" and my exhaust hood will be 42" wide, so I don't know how a stainless backsplash would work there even if I wanted that. So this is obviously my biggest gripe with the rangetop. I willingly admit it isn't that huge.

Overall I'd buy this rangetop again. My husband and I really like how practical and powerful it is.

Hope this review is helpful to others.

Comments (5)