Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selecting Between Two Appliance Packages

Posted by frogster (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 20:54

Hi all,

We are closing in on our final appliance selections. One is an all Thermador package and the other is a package we put together from a "value" perspective. This "other" package is about $800 less than the Thermador package, or about $350 less if we use the Sharp microwave in both packages. They are very similar from a budget perspective. Here are the packages:

THERMADOR PACKAGE:
Thermador 48" Refrigerator KBUDT4855E
Thermador 36" Masterpiece Series Stainless Steel Induction Cooktop - CIT365KBSS
Thermador 30" Masterpiece Series Stainless Steel Double Wall Oven - ME302JSS
Thermador 36" Professional Stainless Steel Custom Hood Insert - VCIB36JPSS (1,000 CFM)
Thermador 24" Stainless Steel Micro-Drawer - MD24JS (Might swap out for Sharp for ~$500 less)
Thermador 24" Sapphire 6-Program Panel Ready Dishwasher - DWHD650JPR

OTHER PACKAGE:
KitchenAid 48" Refrigerator KSSC48QVS
Thermador 36" Masterpiece Series Stainless Steel Induction Cooktop - CIT365KBSS
Electrolux Icon Designer Series Electric Double Oven - E30EW85SS
Zephyr 36" Essentials Power Series Monsoon Stainless Steel One-Piece Hood Liner - AK9234AS (600 CFM)
Sharp 24" KB6524 Stainless Steel Microwave Drawer - KB6524SS
Miele 24" Futura Dimension Series Fully-Integrated Custom Panel Dishwasher - G5575SCVI

To us the major differences are:
1. The electrolux is a top and bottom convection, while the Thermador is top convection only. We are not sure that this really matters.
2. With one we get a Miele dishwasher and the other a Bosch equivalent.
3. Different hoods, though I am not sure who makes the Thermador, so I do not know how to judge this.

We are looking for things to push us one way or the other. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Frogster

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selecting Between Two Appliance Packages

Appliance manufacturers have strengths and weakness in their production line. Thermador's Blue Star closed burner range/cook top has a good reputation amongst closed burner tops for example. Thermador ovens are more variable, with some recurrence of uneven heating and laments with customer care when something goes wrong. I have Thermador ovens which for twenty years heat unevenly but they are old and I am biased because I love to bake and there lies the problem.

Your OTHER PACKAGE I find excitement with. Briefly, Miele Dishwashers are highly reputable as are Sharp Microwaves, Electrolux Ovens continue to make a good reputation for mid price ovens and offer features many love, Kitchen Aid Refrigerators (which I've had for years) are probably KA strongest suit. I can't comment on Thermador Induction.

Of your two choices, I'd spread my appliance eggs around some and pick OTHER which is filled with a lot of reputable working machines by different manufacturers. Good luck with your decision.

o
RE: Selecting Between Two Appliance Packages

I did the full Thermador package/promotion last spring. So far, so good. I'm happy. Have posted on this elsewhere on this forum. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here