Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
speedymonk

Dacor software updates

speedymonk
16 years ago

A few months back, I saw a lenghtly posting by a member here of problems she had with her Dacor Mellinia double wall ovens (new style). After several replacements, she got one thsat worked, including new software that supposedly was free.

We are having heating issues with ours and the factory service center tells my wife they know nothing about a free software update (or any software update for that matter).

Looking for some help on who obtained such an update and who they may have talked to at the factory.

Much appreciated in advance.

-OKJ

Comments (32)

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Never mind. Got lucky and found the thread. Circuit board, not software, I believe.

• wekick
    16 years ago

My tech told me that Dacor does not issue service bulletins so that is why they do not know I guess. They operate on a complaint only basis. If you haven't done so buy a oven thermometer. My oven sensors were way off. I called the place that I bought them and they arranged for the new boards. The ovens still don't work.

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Heard from a tech today but won't be able to get actual service until next week. The ovens declared temperature and actual temperature is off 55 degrees on the bottom oven and the top oven is off 60-65 degrees. The wife isn't a happy camper. Big party this weekend.

The tech told us to look for the heating elements to oscilate back and forth once the oven reached the desired temperature. It doesn't do that either. He said the last four ovens he worked on were incorrectly wired by the installer. I don't think that is the case, but who knows.

The other option is to replace the circuit board (he called it the relay board). That needs to be done regardless. Newer and updated.

Ho Ho Ho

• wekick
    16 years ago

The real problem for me was if you had to adjust the temperature upward 100 degrees it would take 30-60 minutes to do that and if you are baking cookies and open the door frequently or put something really cold in,the ovens have no ability to recover the temperature and it would gradually drop. All my ovens would do is oscillate as though they were trying to maintain temp. My temperatures were off as much as 100 degrees from the readout during preheating and of course there is no readout once the oven thinks it is at temp. If you turn the oven up from 250 to 350 it just says 350 but no preheat comes on and the temp goes up verrry slowly. The amount the temp is off also varies according to the type of baking used. I just got the newly programed board for my range oven and it is now 30 degrees too hot and still will not keep up with cookies or changes in temperatures. I am having two parties this weekend and have to turn the oven to 550 just to get it to 350 in a reasonable amount of time and then open the door really quick and throw the stuff in and watch the oven thermometer. If it cools too much it is very difficult to get the oven back up to temp.

• mcmann
    16 years ago

What timing. I just had my Dacor Millenia wall ovens calibrated last week. I had the new control panel installed in July because of the non-beeping meat probe. And the ovens still seemed to have a lower internal temperature that the setting. I used my Polder thermometers to keep an eye on the actual temperature.

They were calibrated in September and the tech did not seem to be very knowledgeable. He verified that both of them were off by 50 degrees but didn't want to change them by more than 20. I didn't argue and figured I could always call him back.

So I finally got around to calling again. And this time I requested the tech that had serviced my Dacor Classic ovens. He said they were still off by 35 degrees and changed the setting.

I haven't had the problems that wekick has had, but I also don't bake as often. I just wish the ovens had a continuous digital read out of the internal temperature. If my Sub Zeros can do it I don't understand why ovens can't also.

Please keep us posted.

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

mcmann, how did the tech calibrate the oven? Did he access a service menu on the control panel, or was it an adjustment to be made directly on the circuit board? If it was via service menu, do you recall how he got into that mode?

• mcmann
    16 years ago

Hello sshrivastava,

How are your wall ovens working? I hope you haven't had any more problems.

The Customer service representative that I spoke with told me that the homeowner can adjust the temperature up to 35 degrees. I asked her how and she claimed that it is in the Use and Care Manual. However I can't find it in mine, unless it's in newer ovens or perhaps she thought I had the range. But I have no intention of messing with my control panel anyway.

Both techs did it through the control panel. The first tech who came out had to call Dacor help support because he hadn't a clue how to proceed. The second tech had a printed manual that he referred to.

The first tech wrote down the info he received from Dacor in case I wanted to do it myself. This is what he left me back in September.

To Enter Tech panel

press Cancel Secure and # at the same time

Release Cancel Secure but keep pressing #

Press 7 seven times

the readout will change to an S

then enter service code 5638

After that he just kept pressing buttons according to the instructions that Dacor gave him over the phone. As I mentioned I'm not brave enought to go into the control panel - I might erase everything that's in there. Are you going to try doing it yourself?

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The service tech will be arriving here momentarily. The lower oven is oscilating back and forth between inside and outside heating grids and ius now holding temperature. However, we had to set it to 400 to get it to come to 300 at a reasonable time.

Popped in the ham for the party and reduced heat to 325. Temp is holding at about 310.

HGowever, all of this is in bake mode, not pure convection. The oven is sopposed to operate the way it is now (inside-to-outside elements) in pure convection. And....another tech took the new control board. Will keep you posted.

Ho Ho Ho

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

mcmann, thanks for the info! My ovens appear to be working correctly. The biggest issue I had was the oven not beeping after finishing cooking with the temp probe -- it now beeps -- and the temperature probe itself was always off by about 20 degrees. Now the probe is far more accurate.

I haven't had any baking issues with the oven -- whatever I bake comes out just fine, in a time frame that is expected. I notice with the new control board the oven seems to preheat faster as well, which is most likely all in my head!

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, the two service tech have come and gone. He did a temp probe with a hi-tech meter and found the upper oven off 25 degrees in plain bake mode. He adjusted it up. Also adjusted the lower but he will order two new relay boards for the unit. Any kind of luck, should be here next week and in before Christmas.

However, the disturbing part was that the one gentleman has been a high-end service tech appliance for 15 years and has yet to see a Dacor manual. He just laughed when I asked him if he had one.

Dacor hasn't even given them any specific training on the ovens. Any of the service techs for that matter. I'll be making a call Monday and chewing on their customer service reps. That is insane.

The ham came out ok. The 325 temp on the lower oven in bake mode was really at 310. We'll see how the rest goes.

-OKJ

• mcmann
    16 years ago

Speedymonk- What will the relay boards do - make the oven heat up faster?

Dacor also told me that the tech would check the temperature in each of the different cooking modes - that's a laugh, he only checked bake. So this week I'm going to use bake, pure convection, convection bake etc. and see how the oven is holding the temperature.

sshrivastava - My meat probe also undercooks. I stopped using it because although it does now beep when it reaches the set temperature, it only has that one beep and if I miss it, then my oven starts going into the 'stay warm' mode.

I think it would be better if the meat probe had a series of beeps a few minutes apart - or if you could just turn off the 'stay warm' feature if you don't want it especially since my probe is still off. I like my Polder better - it gives 2 digital readouts - one for the oven and another one for the meat.

I've been keeping a list of recommendations to pass on to Dacor to improve the oven. In addition to the meat probe issue, I'd like a continuous digital read out of the internal temperature.

The oven also doesn't signal if you set the temperature for lower than 250 degrees. So if you want to proof at 100 degrees - you'll never get a beep from the oven indicating that it's reached 100. I also think that if you set the oven to 350 degrees and the oven beeps when it gets to 350 - if you then change the temperature setting - it should beep again when it reaches the new temperature. And it would be nice if there were an additional light near the top of the oven - when you're broiling on the upper rack it is very difficult to see what's happening.

These are just simple features that I think should be on the oven.

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The tech said the relay boards-- two of them-- will need replacing because the oven is not coming to temp properly. He also knew that we knew that new boards were available. I'm asuming this is what other have meant by control panel replacement. Perhaps not.

I'm going to call Dacor Monday a.m. and chew on them a bit. I'm going to tell them I want a control panel replacement plus the installation service manual. If they aren't going to supply the techs with the manual then I want it. For $6,000 they better provide it to somebody. I will also quiz them on why their authorized service techs have had ZERO training on the new ovens. He said that isn't uncommon for Dacor.

The tech got into the basic service menu by reading the information provided on this thread. He also said while the main corporate offices are in California, the units are manufactured in the midwest and Canada (he thought). That would explain why the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing or had available.

• mcmann
    16 years ago

Speedymonk - I've found that Dacor's customer service representatives are really trying to be helpful. However they're not that familiar with the workings of all Dacor's products and I think at times give the wrong information.

So when I call I only speak with a 'team leader.' I have the name and extension of the last one I spoke with. I have also asked and been connected to the technical help line on several occasions, especially during install. I can't tell you if my repair technician had an official Dacor manual, or one that they had compiled.

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Dacor customer rep, Shawn, was very nice. He said the appliance repair company needs to contact the regional Dacor rep to get the service manuals and the control board which the appliance repair guy said was a relay board.

Software version of the existing control panel is 1.0.0.5.D something. Tech accessed the service menu, I think, using mcmann's posted instructions which I had printed out.

We'll see how this goes. Hoipefully a new control panel and calibration will make momma happy. I thought about trying to access the service menu myself like I did with the heat pump thermostat (which went very well) but momma reminded me she knew where I slept and not to do anything stupid.

I'll wait for the techs to get back.

-speedymonk

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The part(s) have been ordered from the factory. Hope the service center ordered a service manual, too.

Probably won't show up until next week. If the lasagne comes out ok tonight for my wife's Bunko group of 12 women (I'm gpoing to rehearsal instead... thank God) then I think we'll get by with the Turkey on Christmas. Will know shortly.

Ho Ho Ho

• phillycook
    16 years ago

After six years with a Decor (sic) best of luck with all the problems.

Their ovens are rubbish.

At six years the "brain" died and it cost me of $1K for service - After complaining to them they finally reimbursed me $300 for the part.

They make a big point about being an "American" company and having "principles". Push those buttons to get service and satisfaction.

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

On the contrary, their ovens are far from rubbish. The build quality is high, and it's one of the most technologically advanced ovens on the market. I had two service techs come by to update my oven software who both agreed that Dacor's Discovery ovens are one of the best ovens on the market today.

I'm sorry you had a CPU failure after six years, at least Dacor reimbursed you 1/3 of the cost -- that's a lot more than most companies would do for an appliance that long out of warranty. My Macintosh G5 computer's dual CPU's fried a few weeks ago to the tune of $1,200 and Apple agreed to comp the repair even though I was 2 years out of warranty. These types of companies are the ones who deserve our repeat business, and also deserve public praise and acknowledgment for going above and beyond the call of duty. That certainly applies to what Dacor did to keep me happy.

I highly recommend Dacor ovens, not necessarily for initial quality, but for the top notch corporate philosophy behind the product and the company's willingness to go to great lengths to keep their customers happy.

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well...the lasagna came out just fine. While it took about 45 minutes for the oven to come up to temp on bake (400 degrees), it all cooked evenly. I would expect that once the new control panel arrives and is calibrated, that both ovens will perform as we expect.

So far, Dacor's customer service has been pleasant and helpful. No problem there. Local service folks have been equally good, despite not having a service manual and specific training on the new ovens. I'm sure that will also be corrected.

Service is the name of the game and while I would have prefered not to have any issues with a $6,000 piece of equipment that I think should run perfectly, the reality is that anything powered by a computer is going to have issues. Thank God it doesn't run on Windows Vista!

I do get concerned about computer control boards and heat-- not a great combination. However, the reality is that to get the features and performance out of a high end oven like the Discovery series, it's going to be comnputer controlled. and like the first model of anything, there will be bugs. This bug is being addressed in a timely and professional manner. I'm ok with that.

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just a quick update. We ae giving the service folks until the end of the week to get back to us. The holidays are the main reason. However, that will be one day shy of three weeks since they were out. The control panel was ordered the following Monday. That should be reasonable time to have the factory ship the item...unless of course it is coming by slow boat around the Cape of Good Hope. Hope they requested a service manual.

Happy new Year to you all!

-OKJ

• mcmann
    16 years ago

I hope your problem is resolved quickly. You are more patient than I am - I wouldn't wait to call them.

One of my repair techs told me that his company frequently schedules out of warranty work before warranty repairs because they charge more to repair them than the manufacturers reimburse. They do warranty repair hoping that the customer will stay with them when the warranty runs out.

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Called the service center this morning and the parts are expected to arrive possibly tomorrow but most likely next week. As soon as the panel arrives, they will call and schedule a replacement. So far these guys seem on top of things.

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I called the service department back this morning about the control panel. He said Dacor has them on backorder and he will call as soon as it arrives. That's the latest.

-OKJ

• mcmann
    16 years ago

I wonder if Dacor would expedite the shipment after they get the panel back in stock. I don't know if they'll mail it direct to your service guy or if it has to go through a distributor first?

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

Make sure Dacor sends the right control panel for your oven. They sent me three wrong ones before I got the right one, and even then the tech didn't know how to install it.

yay for service!

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, the service techs will be out sometime Tuesday.

I called Dacor customer service Tuesday a.m. and wondered why it has been five weeks and no control panel. Customer dervice guy said he'd call the service center and get order numbers, etc. Amazingly enough, when I returned home a couple hours later, the service techs calls to say the parts had "just arrived". Sounds like coincidence but I'll take the control panel anyway I can get it.

Will make sure it's the right one for double ovens and not single. Will post back with the results.

• mcmann
    16 years ago

Oh Speedymonk - here's an idea - mention to Dacor that you're not thrilled with this delay in getting parts. They gave me an extra glide rack for my other oven for my 'inconvenience.'

Sshrivastava experienced inexcuseable problems with Dacor ovens and received several accessories.

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok.... the new software panel arrived the tech installed it. Sucker cost $1,700. Glad it was under warranty. Can't say too much about the tech, however. He hooked it up, made sure it lit up and then lit out. My wife was home and I wasn't.

However, the oven works. The temp still reads incorrectly when it preheats. Arrived at the set temperature before it really is at that temp. Normal pre-heat for 350 is 20 minutes. Oven thermometer show both ovens come to the set temp at 20 minutes. A few minutes longer for 400. Not under 50 degrees like before.

My wife will give it the real test when she bakes some cooking soon. For now, it seems all is well. I'll post more if there is more to be told.

-OKJ

• mcmann
    16 years ago

Glad to hear your new panel arrived and I sure hope it resolves all of your problems.

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

She baked cookies tonight....and.....they came out EVEN!!
    The new replacement panel did the trick and it comes to temp where the oven says it is supposed to be. Mind you it's not at that temp when the buzzer goes off after the pre-heat, but give it another 10-15 minutes for a propoer pre-heat (oven walls, etc.) and it's just fine. Momma is happy and therefor so am I.

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

I may have discovered a bug in the new software. I was baking last night and selected Surround Bake. I set the temperature to 400°F and it showed "Preheating 250°F". At this point I changed my mind and hit cancel, opting instead for a Standard Bake at 400°F. After selecting standard bake and inputting the temp, it stopped showing "Preheating..." and the oven acted as though it was at full temperature when it wasn't. The bottom element clicked on and off as it would if it had achieved temp.

After about 15 minutes of this activity, I opened the oven and thought no way is it 400°F. I canceled the Bake mode and selected Surround Convection at 400°. Now the oven showed "Preheating 250°F" like it did originally, but switching back to Bake again killed the preheat cycle. Going back to Surround Convection, I got the preheat indication again. Switching to Pure Convection the preheat designation disappeared again.

There seems to be a problem with the programming logic. Unless you leave it in the initial mode selected fully through the end of preheat, the oven seems to get confused. This could be the reason why some folks have said that the oven is 50-100° off, or that things take forever to bake.

Does anyone know of a way to "reboot" the computer without running outside the flip the circuit breaker?

• speedymonk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think this is one of the exact same bugs as the earlier version. Pick any style of baking, and then change your mind before it is done pre-heating and there is a problem. With the old software you couldn't even get it to raise the temp in the same mode (start at 375 and then decide you really want 425). I think that part works ok.

The oven at least does come to temp it says in a normal fashion even though when the buzzer beeps that pre-heating is finished it really isn't. However, it takes just a few minutes more and then all the oven walls are pre-heated, too. Nothing like a good old fashioned oven thermometer to keep the sophisticated electronics in check.

And no, I don't know of a re-boot command although tripping the circuit breaker was something I hadn't considered.

• mcmann
    16 years ago

sshrivastava - have you notified Dacor? Perhaps they'll correct the problem the way they did with the meat probe.

Thanks for the programming alert - I'll have to try it on my ovens this afternoon.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County