Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petestein1

Keep my 1999 Subzero 650 or upgrade to brand-new subzero?

Peter Steinberg
13 years ago

All-

I was wondering if I could prevail upon the collective wisdom of the Subzero owners on this forum.

The house I own has a Sub-zero model #605 fridge/freezer. 36" wide, 24" deep, 84" tall. Fridge on top, freezer drawer below. All stainless steel.

The previous owners beat up the door somewhat. Lots of scratches and the freezer door is actually dented inward a good bit (a tricycle accident maybe?)

I have also renovated and now have a kitchen where an integrated panel fridge would look somewhat better than a big 3' x 7' hunk of stainless steel.

The way I see it, I have 3 possibilities:

1. Live with it as is.

2. Buy new doors, ones that can take a wood panel. If they're even available new they're quite expensive so hopefully I'd be able to buy them off some old, dead fridge. I expect this might take some time to find but would be a good bargain.

3. I might have the chance to get my hands on a brand-new, dirt-cheap Subzero. Same dimensions but with the doors that take panels like I want.

So here's my question... I suspect that like a lot of things, Subzeros ain't what they used to be. I have a niggling feeling in the back of my mind that the 12-year-old model I have might be the last of the subzeros that will last for 30 years -- that if I "upgrade" to a brand new model it will break down every 3 years.

So... what do you think? How are the new subzeroes? Or is 12 years old old enough that even though it's superior in construction, it's starting to get up there in years and the upgrade would really be more of an even swap?

Thanks in advance -- I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

-Peter

Comments (4)

• beth4
    13 years ago

As I see it, the problem with assessing the quality & reliability of new SZs is that no owner has had a new SZ long enough to know how dependable and maintenance free it really is. I have a 5.5 year old SZ 650 that as run flawlessly since the day I installed it....but it's definitely not a new SZ.

I read your other post about sacrificing some refrigerator space for more freezer space.....Only you can make the call whether that trade off is worth it. For me, it would not be as I have greater need for the refrigerator than the freezer...especially given the excellent refrigeration SZ provides for fresh fruit & vegetables.

If your old SZ is working well, I'd be inclined to get it tuned up and put new doors on it so it looks new. I would think that would be far less expensive than a new SZ, and would provide many years of quality refrigeration before you need to replace it.

But this is truly a personal decision....

• User
    13 years ago

Having seen your other post, you should be asking yourself if you want to buy a 700 series that is going on a 12 year old design? That series is due for replacement / significant upgrade in the near future and there are a few more modern options in the market now where there used to be zero.

Offerings that fully integrate now include Thermador, Gaggenau and Miele in an over/under style and ll are as good if not better than the 700 series. I'm not saying the 700 is junk, I have one myself at an apartment , it's just getting long in the tooth.

• Peter Steinberg
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Antss, you bring up an interesting question about the line being refreshed soon -- but honestly, I'm not so sure an updated product is what I'm looking for. New means untested. And in this day and age a lot of new products tend to cut a lot of corners. I *like* that the 700 series has a 12 year track record... a successful one.

Also, I've had a subzero on and off all my adult like and have endlessly marveled at how long produce lasts inside. It's like a magic refrigerator when compared to more affordable models. I don't know that I'd want to take a chance on another brand.

That said, I'm curious as to what you think these other models have to offer in terms of features and design. Or what you think Subzero might be adding in the near future.

• iris_linson
    11 months ago

Do not buy another SubZero!! They do not stand behind product and cannot and willnot fix or replace my new one which is moaning and groaning all they time!! Spend your money on another brand who may be able to service the fridge. Mine is a $13,000 noise machine!!