Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarkebar

May need hood options (modern aire may not go)

clarkebar
15 years ago

I have really benefited from all the posts I have read here and I thank all of you for the information.

I am going to install a 36' Fratelli Onofri in our new construction. Kitchen has a cathedral ceiling...I don't have the exact height and so I don't know the length of 'chimney' that the wall mounted hood will need.

I would like to get the modern aire ps20 hood and will use the fantech fkd 8xl remote inlinline blower (located in the attic).

here is a link that might be usefull...look for ps20 (blue backsplash)

http://www.modernaire.com/Catalog.pdf

My problem is the hood only comes with 12' of 'chimney' and it costs $15 per inch to extend it. I may have about 7 or so feet and that just makes the darn setup really a budget killer.

Any other hood choices that you can rec. that will allow me to put in my own blower and have a similar style? I hope that all of the collective research here will really help me out. I don't think I can look anymore online! Ive got a serious case of bug-eyes!

Comments (8)

• clarkebar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sorry...should read 12 inches of "chimney" not 12 feet.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

I had a similar challenge when I put in our Wolf in our last house. The problem was the SS "chase" which is the decorative cover (as you probably know) was about 2 feet and cost several hundred dollars. Each section came in 12 inch sections I think (and were EXPENSIVE)... I just remember needing less than even footage for my configuration. The next problem was that each extension piece created a visible (and IMO unsightly)seam. The dealer suggested I go to a good sheet metal fabricator (which i was going to have to do anyway to get one of the extension pieces cut down) and have one custom built which I did. In summary the cost was less than half and I was able to exactly spec the size. In my case I had the chase built exactly the width, depth and height of the hood resulting contant lines all the way to the ceiling. If memory serves me, the chase was 36 inches wide, about 12 inches deep and 42 inches high and the whole thing cost me about $200 and most ofthat was labor. If you want more the chimney look, then you would simply have the chase built smaller in width...probably just enough to cover the actual duct work.

Another option if you want more the cylinder duct look to the ceiling is to use commercial grade HVAC duct. I believe it comes in stainless, several diameters and sections up to about 10 feet. This stuff is not the same as the galvanized snap together stuff most people are familiar with or you see in residential work. It is very hefty and good looking.

Anyway, a good HVAC person should be able to help you or recommend soomeone.

HTH

• clarkebar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply. For the record, I had no idea it was a "chase"! :)

I had not thought of having somebody make the thing for me locally! I love that idea! I will check with James (HVAC) tomorrow.

Do you think it will be difficult to have the ss match...there are different levels of "shinyness" or polish to ss isn't there?

Jay

• plllog
    15 years ago

Also, did you check out the prices for a total custom unit by Modern Aire? Then you wouldn't have to worry about the match. I remember being pleasantly surprised by the pricing for mine 7 years ago, though I had very different issues. Couldn't hurt to ask them :)

• clarkebar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think all their stuff is done in a custom way....that's why they are able to do the chase to the exact length that you want...only at 15 dollars an inch!

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

Believe it or not, there was no difference in finish. I specified 18 gauge brushed stainless and it was identical to the finish of the Wolf hood I matched it to. I will agree not all stainless finishes are exactly the same though, maybe I just got lucky. You should be able to get a very close if not almost identical match I would think. According to the Wolf dealer I used, it was SOP for them to have the chase built locally.

• fandlil
    15 years ago

The really find grade stainless is 304. The 430 is less costly and not as nice.

• oceangirl67
    11 years ago

anyone know the approximate cost of a 30 inch ps-20 these days?