Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Bummer of a Fridge -- Electrolux, or Bosch?

Posted by heathmitch (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 20:31

Trying to figure out which fridge to buy for a pre-existing 36x25x70 cabinet opening, and I've narrowed it down to two models which both seem to be nightmares for lots of folks -- the Electrolux Icon Professional side-by-side and the Bosch 800 Series side-by-side.

Because of the layout of our house, the refrigerator is pretty much staring you in the face when you open the front door, so aesthetics are a major factor -- major enough that I'm willing to spend too much for a somewhat-iffy but pretty machine. My criteria are as follows:

Close fit in the cabinet opening

Side-by-side (I had an LG french-door style and hated it)

Integrated water/ice in the door (non-negotiable, per husband)

Clean, industrial look with straight lines -- no curves

Stainless or stainless-look

So of these two choices, which is less likely to cause me grief? And are there any other options in the $2-$4k range?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Bummer of a Fridge -- Electrolux, or Bosch?

Consumer Reports rates certain Bosch s/s 800 models as being quieter than Elux models. To be sure I'd have to confirm w model #s.

CR also noted that a similar Bosch fridge was so similar to the 800 series that they didn't bother testing separately, but rated them the same. However the othe model may be $500 cheaper.

We have a coated steel fridge, which looks very similar to stainless, is cheaper, & magnets stick.

Also for refrigerators there are customizable panels available, eg blackboards. http://www.applianceart.com/Instant_Chalkboard_Side_by_Side_Refrigerator_Cover_p/11536-11537.htm. Since how it looks is so important, maybe you could get a fridge you want, then use aftermarket panels or skins to get the look you want.

o

Interesting -- I will check out the panels!

Sadly, the 500 and 800 Bosch series both seem to have lots of problems, though I have the Bosch 800 dishwasher (which also caught some flak out there in review-land, as I recall), and it's my favorite thing in the whole kitchen. So who knows?

Thanks,

Heather

o

Interesting -- I will check out the panels!

Sadly, the 500 and 800 Bosch series both seem to have lots of problems, though I have the Bosch 800 dishwasher (which also caught some flak out there in review-land, as I recall), and it's my favorite thing in the whole kitchen. So who knows?

Thanks,

Heather

o

Even though my remodel took "potential buyer's impressions" in mind over my own preferences, I had to break my "suite of appliances" order after reading reviews of the Bosch free-standing fridges. I ended up with a Samsung with which I'm not entirely thrilled but that's neither here not there for you as it's a FD and has curved handles.

o

I could probably live with a FD, if push came to shove, but the old fridge I have now is a Frigidaire with curved handles that definitely look out of place with the harder angles of the rest of the kitchen.

Has anyone tried the Bosch FD? It seems to get somewhat better reviews than the side-by-side...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here