Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilltop1155

Review of SubZero 36UFD French Door built-in

hilltop1155
10 years ago

I have had my 36UFD installed for several months now and thought I would share my thoughts on it.

At the time of purchase, the French Door version had just come out; I was originally going to get the 36U with the single door. In retrospect, I wish I had. If you have a kitchen with narrow walkways, the FD version is great and probably worth the difference in both cost and convenience, but in my case with an open kitchen, I paid extra for a feature that, in the end, is a bit of a hassle. The reason: the crisper drawers are full width. This means if you want something from the crisper, you have to open both the doors fully in order to open the drawer. Yes, you'd have to do that with the single door too, but it takes both hands with the FD. If SZ would create half-width drawers for the crisper area, that would be a nice change.

I do love just about everything else about this refrigerator. We have had no mechanical issues at this point so I don't have a feel for customer service.

The freezer drawer works fine for us because we use a non-frost-free freezer in our garage for our long term storage. If I could make wishes, I would prefer two drawers for the freezer. It would make sorting easier. There is a little short drawer inside the freezer drawer that contains the ice maker. I didn't care that the ice maker wasn't in the door, so that was fine with me; however, it would be nice if I could just pull out the ice maker drawer separately from the regular freezer drawer. This is just a matter of convenience, rather than pulling out the freezer drawer and then pulling out the ice maker drawer.

There is a storage compartment beside the ice maker in that short drawer where I do place flat items, so there is a little bit of organizational help there but not a lot. The rest of the freezer drawer is one big open space, and again, it would be nice if there were a divider. This wouldn't have kept me from getting the refrigerator, though.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase. The installation was smooth and the instructions were good.

Hope this little review helps someone else.

Comments (2)