Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rokahn_gw

BlueStar impressions after several months

rokahn
10 years ago

Purchased a 48" bluestar RCS with chargrill. Here are some issues of which one might wish to be aware:

1. BS's broiler cycles for 2-3 minutes on then 4-5 minutes off (until the temperature drops enough for broiler to kick back on). If you're cooking something which requires more than 2-3 minutes to sear (which is frequently the case for myself), this is a problem since you'll spend more time baking the food than broiling. According to BS, they don't advise leaving the oven door ajar (to increase the broiler on-time) because the broiler element igniter will then burn out prematurely.

2. BS's chargrill doesn't put out adequate heat to grill food in a reasonable time, even on high. I love grilled veggies and meats but haven't used it much after the first few tries. Unlike a "normal" Weber-style grill, which I'm used to, the food is uncontained on top (no lid) so the burners should be hotter to compensate. The combination of #1 and #2 means that I'm now considering building an outdoor grill to sear food...exactly what I was hoping to avoid.

3. BS's rangetop burners have poor "turndown". For example, cooking oatmeal requires bringing to a boil then covering and simmering for 15 minutes. Even on low, the pot boils over when covered. Simmer burner is OK but there's only one and would rather not move the pot. I'm now in the market for a heat diffuser (piece of metal placed under pot), hoping this will solve the problem but it's inelegant.

Comments (8)