Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wfdexter

smaller cooktop

wfdexter
9 years ago

We're working on a minor kitchen remodel- counters and appliances mostly.

I've gotten stuck on the cook top. Its a roughly 27" 1980-era Tappan gas cooktop. The only thing the right size on the market I can find is a white Frigidaire and we want to go stainless.

A 30" won't fit because the cabinet is 28 and has corner braces in the way.

That leaves the clearly Chinese Ramblewood and a bunch of 24" European brands I don't know, like Smeg, Fulgor, Verona, Miele and Bertazzoni.

Suggestions or advice?

Comments (9)

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Miele or Bertazzoni. No worries on either but the Berta will have electric ignition and clicking when it lights.

• practigal
    9 years ago

GE makes a 26" electric cooktop, Frigidaire makes both a 26" electric and gas cooktop, Kenmore makes a 30" cooktop which appears only to require a 26" cutout...there maybe other 30" cooktops but you'll need to check installation instructions...all of the brands you listed are reputable but not big box so service maybe so-so where you live. Alternatively you could ditch the 28" cabinet and put in a 24" range or, if you could find another 2", a 30" range. Good luck.

• wfdexter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I wasn't clear, but electric isn't an option.

I'll look further at the cutout sizes. I don't want to compromise the corner braces to notch them out though. There's a 30" Frigidaire with a small cutout but its going to look really big there and reach all the way to the end of the counter.

The only 26" Frigidaire I saw was white only.

Summit has some stuff but they look really cheap. This is a remodel both for us and to get the kitchen looking nicer to sell the place.

Going to a range would remove roughly 1/4 of the lower cabinets.... Despite it being a big house it's a small kitchen.

I'm in Chicago suburbs, so I hope someone would be doing warranty work......

Thanks for the replies!

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

If going for resale I'd look at Bertazzoni. What I did. Cost effective, good looking and works well.

• practigal
    9 years ago

FFGC3025LS. This is in stainless steel and the box width, the part that goes through the countertop, is 27"

• practigal
    9 years ago

P.s. If this gas stove top backs right up against the backsplash, be sure to use a non-flammable backsplash.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

The biggest issue with moving to a larger cooktop with the smaller cutout is the cabinetry above. You need to maintan the 30" clearance above the whole cooking zone to combustible materials. That is something that a home inspector would red flag.

I'd go for the Berta. It's got a good appearance. And let the next owner tear the whole kitchen out to redo it.

• wfdexter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@GreenDesigns - no concerns about the cabinetry above. The cabinet above is actually a 30" microwave/hood at a reasonable height.

There's a Bertazzoni dealer literally across the street from my work, so I guess I'll stop by after we're past the holidays and see what they can do for me.

The kitchen is at a little bit of a standstill since I have a tree removal expense to deal with. Stupid ash borers.

• lee676
    9 years ago

A 12" and 15" unit side by side maybe, splitting the gas line?