Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabethan_gw

Zephyr or Windster Range Hoods

gabethan
10 years ago

Any feedback on either of these brands? Looking for a modestly priced modern chimney hood for wall cooktop. Both of these happen to have one in our price range, but i like the Zephyr looks much better. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• black88mx6
    10 years ago

I first liked the Zephyr models for my update, but ended up with Kobe; I could not be more pleased.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I have a Windster under-cabinet model with baffles. It's only been installed for about a year, but so far I like it fine. Speed 3 is somewhat noisy, Speed 2 is quite tolerable, and Speed 1 is fine. The baffles are easy to remove and replace for cleaning ( they have handles that are easy to grasp rather than those little button-type knobs) and they capture a LOT of grease. I do have to clean them more often than I'd like because I don't like looking up there and seeing that grease. Their customer service department has been responsive. When I had a problem with the baffles, new ones were hand delivered to me immediately. I like the look of the hood and it seems quite sturdy. The LED lighting is adequate and I specifically wanted a hood that didn't use Halogens. My one complaint is that the instructions did not say that we needed to install a damper (silly me, I just assumed it either came with one or would instruct me to install one) and we didn't discover that until AFTER it was installed, which required doing some things over again. Windster hoods do hail from China, so I'll have to see how it works out for the long term, but so far, so good.

• LE
    10 years ago

We're getting a Zephyr chimney style as well, but it isn't installed yet. The one at the appliance store was hooked up, though, so we could play with the controls and see how quiet it was. It also has the DCBL technology, whatever that is, but you can set the max cfm if you don't have makeup air. I agree they have some nice looking models-- we are getting the Europa Venezia.

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

I have a Zephyr, but it is an insert, not a full hood. I have the DCBL version of the Monsoon II. I have had it for a year now and we really love it. Though I came from on OTR microwave with a fan on it, so this is a huge step up for us.

It has 6 speeds on it, and we normally use it on speed-2 or 3 and the sounds is not bad. Put it up on speed 5 or 6 and it is pretty darn loud, but we don't use those often.

The baffles are really nice, just throw them in the dishwasher to clean them. The hood even has a reminder on it on how often to clean them. It is just a "run-time" timer but at least it is something to give me a reminder to clean them.

This version has two LED lights and they do a great job for us over our 36" BS range top. They don't get hot and they throw off plenty of light for us.

Hope this helps.
    Phil

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

Looking at a Zephyr Venezia myself. Any input/reviews would be so helpful!

• LE
    10 years ago

We aren't even buying ours til March, so your timeline might put you ahead of us, rebecca!

• kntrna
    6 years ago

Sixkeys, did you end up getting the Zephyr Venezia? If so, are you happy with it? I want something reliable and effective, but quiet enough to still have a conversation beside.

• ledmond10
    6 years ago

Hey, kntrna,

we have had the Venezia for 3 years now and are very happy with it. We mostly use it on the lower 2 settings, which are pretty quiet. It can get loud at the higher settings but those don't get used for very long at s time-- they will move some air, though!

• sixkeys
    6 years ago

Yes, so far we are very happy with it. It it loud at the top two levels but we basically never need it that strong.