Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best appliance to deep fry

Posted by lalitha (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 18:03

We very occasionally deep fry. In the past, I only had a gas cooktop and it was a constant battle of adjusting the temperature up and down to get the item being fried cooked but not too browned. The end result would be a few perfect items, some underdone, many a bit overdone and a few burnt. In my new kitchen, I will have an induction cooktop as well as a gas wok ring. My question is can I achieve consistent temperature control with just the induction or is it worth it to invest in a separate countertop deep fryer appliance. My goal is to minimize the oil being soaked into the food and get a nice end result.

I know that there is a difference in just maintaining the preferred temperature and being able to rapidly bring the oil up the correct temperature once the cold/ wet food is added. When I deep fry I try to use an oil with a high smoke point like sunflower oil. We typically don't reuse oil, so once I am done frying and the oil cools off, I will properly dispose of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best appliance to deep fry

If most induction units are like mine, (Electrolux), and I bet they are, they will maintain an extremely accurate temp with little fluctuations.

When Mojavean and I had a contest to see who could maintain the lowest temperature, (His simmer burner on his blue star and I used the largest hob on my induction cooktop). It held 119 degrees, as I recall, with a fluctuation of less than a 1 degree for more than an hour or until I fell asleep (which ever came sooner). The video is on Utube if you want to check it out. I'm sure the cooktop would do just as well at maintaining a constant temperature at higher levels too.

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here