Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberm145_gw

Would a "speed oven" work for me? Which one?

amberm145_gw
9 years ago

I bake a lot of cookies. I roast chicken. I make pizza. I reheat Indian naan bread. I roast veggies.

Which fancy microwave would do all that for me the same way I do it now in an oven? Any of them?

But I still want it to act like a regular microwave, making popcorn and reheating coffee.

If I had my wish, I'd get a double oven induction freestanding range, and a traditional microwave (built in) and life would be sweet.

Unfortunately, product manufacturers don't consult me when planning or discontinuing their products. There's no such thing as an induction range with dual ovens at this time. Sigh.

I really wanted an induction stove. But I LOVE my little oven in my current electric freestanding oven. It is probably the most used appliance I own. It heats up almost instantly, and cooks anything that fits in a cookie sheet or casserole dish. And I still have the bigger oven below for all the large cooking activities. But because there's no such thing as an induction/dual oven combo, I'm basically having to decide between induction or a small oven.

Several months ago, I visited an appliance store and asked about half height wall ovens, and she told me it didn't exist. She said anyone who has space for wall ovens wants full sized ones.

I decided on a single oven with induction top (freestanding), and adding in a wall oven so I'd at least still have 2 ovens for when I occasionally cook things at 2 different temps. But DH is giving me a hard time about it.

As a compromise, he's suggested a Samsung microwave that apparently works as a toaster oven and deep fryer? I can get that instead of my wall oven and microwave. So I have been investigating speed oven options. Of course, it's all marketing, and all they say is that their product is amazing.

That same woman who told me there was no small wall oven did suggest a Miele product. It might have been a speed oven. She said it was both a microwave and a regular oven. I asked if it made popcorn, and she said no. So in my definition, that's not a microwave. It seemed the only thing that made it "microwave" was that it was small, too small for a cookie sheet.

And I have recently seen a GE wall oven with 2 small compartments. But I only want 1. And when DH caught me looking at it, he though it was particularly ridiculous and that's when he got upset at the idea of a wall oven. (Because now I'd need 3 ovens, 2 small and a regular).

Comments (13)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>Unfortunately, product manufacturers don't consult me when planning or discontinuing their products. There's no such thing as an induction range with dual ovens at this time. Sigh.

Maybe you just need to look more carefully :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool double oven induction range

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>>That same woman who told me there was no small wall oven did suggest a Miele product. It might have been a speed oven. She said it was both a microwave and a regular oven. I asked if it made popcorn, and she said no.

I don't own a Miele speed oven so let's wait for someone who does to comment, however, my gut feeling says her statement about the popcorn is hogwash. Though I will take the opportunity to add my opinion that microwave popcorn sucks.

Miele speed oven gets great reviews, however if you decide to go the speed oven route I would also look at Electrolux and GE Advantium. They get great reviews too and cost less. Or, you could go with a simple Sharp convection microwave and trim kit. They have been making these for many years, they are reliable, proven, and relatively inexpensive. Keep in mind though that none of the units I just mentioned will be able to do a traditional bake like the smaller oven in a double oven range. The only non-microwave mode they can do is convection, and the Miele can broil.

Also keep in mind that the big oven of the GE single double oven will be smaller than the big oven of a double oven range. This is because on the range, the small oven takes the place of the storage drawer, so the big oven can keep its original size, even if its shifted down. With the GE single double the only height you have to work with is that of a single wall oven, which does not include a storage drawer and is significantly shorter than a range.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Tue, Dec 30, 14 at 18:35

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Wgi925c0bs double oven freestanding induction range.

• amberm145_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unless that's a new Whirlpool stove released in the last couple of weeks, it's been discontinued. It was on clearance at Lowe's recently and they are now out of stock with no plans to restock. Nobody else has stock (in my end of Canada).

The Maytag version actually says discontinued on their website. With no replacement.

Hvtech, are you saying that the Advantium and Electrolux won't bake a pizza or cookies? Or the Sharp won't?

• jimmy_superfly
    9 years ago

I picked up a commercial single pizza oven for $100 when a little diner near me closed. Its about 20x16x8. cooks a 15in pizza, casserole and cookies like nobodys business. i though about mounting it undercabinet like a toaster oven but its not pretty enough so it gets put back in the closet after it cools down. its not as wide as the small part of a double oven but its another option to look at

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Maytag never had a double oven one, they had a single oven one which was discontinued a while ago, and I'm pretty sure they only did that for marketing reasons: they've been trying to position Maytag as a brand that's all about simple, tough, not fancy/high-tech, and induction just didn't really fit into that. I haven't heard anything about the Whirlpool version being discontinued, and it still shows as in-stock at the major online appliance retailers. Maybe they're just not selling it in Canada anymore?

I said that none of the speed ovens has a traditional bake mode, and I was including Miele in that as well. I didn't say you can't make pizza and cookies in them, but overall I prefer radiant heat over convection for pizza and most other baking. You can't really do radiant heat alone in a speed oven. I'm sure you could adapt those things with convection but I've never tried, nor have I wanted to.

• jimmy_superfly
    9 years ago

I picked up a commercial single pizza oven for $100 when a little diner near me closed. Its about 20x16x8. cooks a 15in pizza, casserole and cookies like nobodys business. i though about mounting it undercabinet like a toaster oven but its not pretty enough so it gets put back in the closet after it cools down. its not as wide as the small part of a double oven but its another option to look at

• dodge59
    9 years ago

"I said that none of the speed ovens has a traditional bake mode, and I was including Miele in that as well. I didn't say you can't make pizza and cookies in them, but overall I prefer radiant heat over convection for pizza and most other baking. You can't really do radiant heat alone in a speed oven."

The Electrolux uses "regular Radiant Heat Elements"
    One element is on the right side, as I recall, and the other element is under a slotted cover on the top. The controls for the Electrolux oven are as Follows:
    Preheat, bake, roast and convection.

I use it as a convectional oven, often. It will NOT however broil, due to the slotted cover over the top element. I have used the grill function to make toast, (You have to flip the toast over), but then it comes out great!

The temps for "conventional baking" range from 100 F (bread proofing) to 450 F

Folks claim they have have good luck doing pizzas in the Electrolux Speed Oven as well as "General Baking:.

Go here, to see for yourself!

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/E30SO75ESS.html

Gary

• practigal
    9 years ago

My understanding of the double oven induction range is that it was too much draw and not enough performance for the electric and all of them have been discontinued. Darn!

Do you use the microwave for anything large or is it just to reheat one item or make popcorn? If you don't really need a large microwave you may want to consider a countertop electric oven (they can do quarter or half bakers baking sheets) and a very small microwave.

• amberm145_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe they only sold the Maytag one in Canada? There used to be a photo on this site. Oh, well.

Practical, no, I don't need a big microwave. But I don't really have enough perimeter counter space for a countertop appliance. I have room in the pantry cabinet for a built in. I could build a niche in the pantry cabinet. But I had that in my current kitchen before we remodelled it, and I HATED it. Stuff was always getting shoved in between the microwave and the side of the box, or falling behind the microwave. But it was just too large a hole in a kitchen that lacked storage not to have extra stuff in it. The new kitchen will have more storage, but I don't think I'd like to have the hole back.

I'm starting to think the induction just isn't worth it. I'd be spending a lot of money for appliances that almost work as well as the cheaper appliance I have now, in order to get an induction range that may not be very reliable. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Maytag double oven with induction

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>The Electrolux uses "regular Radiant Heat Elements"

Learn something new every day!

> My understanding of the double oven induction range is that it was too much draw and not enough performance for the electric and all of them have been discontinued. Darn!

Where did you hear that? I can't find any service bulletins on this unit.

• housebuilder14
    9 years ago

Miele sells a 24 inch oven if you are still looking for smaller.