Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodysapsucker

Sharp Microwave Drawer

woodysapsucker
9 years ago

We recently replaced all of our kitchen appliances other than the refrigerator. Out of all of the new appliances my favorite newbie is the Sharp Microwave Drawer. It's just so darn convenient! First of all I love that it is built in under the counter so I don't have a clunky thing taking up counter space. I don't have to pull out my food so I can stir it or add ingredients. I look down into the cooking container. The space is large and cooks really well with no turntables. The interior is all smooth so really easy to clean.

I do sound like a salesperson don't I? Since I've been posting some negative comments about some of my new Jenn-Air appliances, I thought it only fair to post which appliance has exceeded my expectations.

If you are considering purchasing this item, you should know that the 30" and 24" have the same interior dimensions - just different sized doors.

My ONLY complaint would be the timer on the unit. The timer button is combined with the clock button so after you press timer you need to tell the unit that you want timer not clock. Just an annoying extra step when you want to get things done quickly.

Comments (8)

• Mistman
    9 years ago

Good Luck w/it :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I really like it too, but I haven't hit the dreaded 1-year/18 months mark yet. Hope it lasts!!

• woodysapsucker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I read about the break downs right after I posted this. I'm REALLY hoping they got the quirks all fixed up. We're at 8 1/2 months.

What kind of breakdowns were/are people experiencing?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I don't know.

Use question - do you mostly use the "time" function, or do you use the buttons on the left side -- I use sensor cook for frozen and sometimes fresh vegetables, and defrost for frozen meat, but not many of the others. I'd love some hints if you have any.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i love mine, too. it's a game changer. i do wish it had a turn table, but it's not a deal breaker.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

You guys have definitely made me feel that I have not taken advantage of mine. :/. I just hit the start button for each minute I want.

I only have a couple months in with the microwave, so I'm hoping the one thread I read for only 18 months use was a fluke. Fingers crossed for some longevity or I'll have to eat crow. DH thought the drawer was a waste of money with less power than the old one. But he can't deny it looks sharp in our kitchen and takes up no counter space.

• woodysapsucker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

elizabeth714 - no turntable is one of the things I love about it. Nice smooth surface that's easy to clean. If I remember correctly instead of the food turning the microwaves actually are stirred from above.

sjhockeyfan - There are two buttons that I use all of the time and that is the beverage and popcorn buttons. But my husband never uses the beverage button - prefers just putting in the time. As to use, I've been using a microwave for so long it's kind of second nature to just put in the time and power for whatever I want. When I want to defrost meat I put in a time and set the power at 30%. I usually put in less time and then flip the meat I want to defrost.

I don't think it's the buttons that make the drawer so convenient - it's the location below the counter - being able to look down and see my food when the drawer is open. I'm short so I was never able to see my food in our old micro above the cook-top. I would have to take the food out to look at it.

One thing I did read is that you should always use the buttons to open and close the door. That I do. Apparently pulling on the handle was causing some problems.

sjhockeyfan - when I talked about the timer button I was referring to setting a time - like timing 5 minutes. I guess I didn't phrase that clearly.

Got my fingers crossed!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

woodysapsucker - your last comments make sense to me - you are short and can look into the drawer. I could never understand the appeal of the drawer - but I am taller and would hate bending down to see the controls or to pick the food out of the drawer. I was thinking they need a remote to operate it from a standing position.

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you. I am about to deal with the dreaded Wolf error code on my oven.

PS - Love your handle! We have downy, hairy, red-belly and sapsuckers in our yard at different times. SS has been MIA since we lost their favorite trees - one to the ash borer and one to old age.