Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zfrankle

Capital Lemon: both range and customer service are lacking

zfrankle
11 years ago

I know most people that have them are happy, but I have a different situation. Since I got my Capital range in May of '11, I've had continuous problems. There have been several attempts to fix a rattling latch vent fan that works itself loose, including 3 individual fan/motor units, two of which were also defective. The oven was defective from the very start, and when it was finally fixed, that lasted less than a year. In March of 2012, the problem returned. It was eventually "fixed" in April, but now the same problem is back yet again, and this time there are also a couple of new ones: The motorized rotisserie no longer works - and I used it exactly one time, a year ago, to roast one chicken. Now the rotisserie motor is dead. Additionally, the oven has taken to randomly locking itself (as if it's in self-clean mode) when broiling. And it won't unlock for a good 20 minutes. That ruined a couple of expensive pieces of meat.

The worst part? In each of these instances, Capital customer service did nothing at all until I posted here about it. In each case it took many weeks, emails, calls and the last resort - public posts - to get Capital to begin addressing the issue.

The same this time: I wrote Capital a detailed email on November 1st, 2012 and got a response on November 13th after I sent them a reminder. Bob informed me that they're working on the problem but Surjit is ill so there's a delay. That's the last I've heard from them, despite two other emails I sent since. Over a month with no action whatsoever. I'm very sorry that Surjit is not well and wish him a quick recovery, but a company can't cease to function because one person is out.

It pains me to have to make this a public matter again, but I have had no success getting help from Capital any other way. This is the most expensive appliance I've ever bought, and it's a lemon. I understand that it can happen to any company, but what matters is how that company deals with the problem once they're made aware of it. Capital is simply not doing anything. After the one response on November 13th they haven't done anything, nor told me when I can expect them to take action. Thanksgiving went by (we moved it to a relative's house) and now Christmas is around the corner. Not a great time to have a range that randomly starts making noises like an old diesel truck or locks itself. I really hope someone at Capital reads this and does something. I want to love my Capital like so many here do, but I got a bad apple. I anyone has another suggestion, please let me know. I thank you in advance.

Comments (19)

• Tom2013
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the posting on the Capital Range. I too am about to buy the most expensive appliance I have ever bought and Capital was at the top of my list mainly due to this website. Before your post I was certain that Capital would be the one to buy but now I think it is off the list. I cannot tolerate a company that does not stand by their product. Please update this post if there is any followup from Capital. I expect to decide which range to buy in the next month.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll certainly update if I hear anything from them; it was this forum that steered me towards Capital (I was leaning towards Blue Star before that) so I think it's important to give forum members the complete picture. On the other hand, I think it's also clear that I'm in the minority, and most people do get a good product. I'm just so disappointed that they are apparently unwilling to fix their mistakes, even though they're rare.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Have you made an actual phone call to Bob? I find it's much easier to get a response via a phone call to him than email.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Happy to report that at last there's progress: Bob let me know that Surjit has recovered and returned, and they're working on a solution, I'm not sure of the exact details yet. Hopefully I can be cooking without fear soon.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More news: Capital is working with the retailer and it looks like I'll be able to exchange the unit. I'm going to add money to the credit from Plesser's and upgrade to the Culinarian (mine's a Precision) - hope I'm not being insane and throwing good money after bad, but I really do think that I got a rare lemon. I'm happy to give Capital another chance, and those open burners are worth the extra bucks. It won't be in time for Christmas, but hopefully not too far into the new year. (All this is in process, I'll update once the exchange actually happens)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

That's good news. Here's hoping the rest of your journey happens more quickly than the what you've experienced to this point.

• buffalotina
    11 years ago

You will like open burners. Once you experience them you can never go back. Good luck!

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

At last! I'm very happy to report that I now have my replacement range, and all is well. It took many attempts and was quite frustrating, but it's done. Thank you Bob at Capital and Plesser's appliance!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Congrats! Now get cooking! :)

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Glad you got a replacement, so happy when things work out.
    Also I am very glad to hear that Plesser's was reliable--I used them for my DW & under cabinet refrigerator last year and I referred them to others here.

Please clarify who "Bob" and "Surjit" for others reading this thread.

• jscout
    11 years ago

Great to hear. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point, Eatrealfood, we do sometimes forget that there are always new people joining the forum. Bob Waymire is in charge of customer service at Capital, and Surjit Kalsi is their CEO.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

thank you zfrankle--happy cooking to you !

• allmansd
    11 years ago

Recently I've had similar problems with my Capital range and followup service. The following is what you can expect from Capital. I am amazed at how far the quality of the product and service has fallen. Please do me the favor of taking this into account when you are researching such a large purchase, and feel free to contact me personally with any questions. I recommend spending your hard earned money anywhere else, including an open fire pit in the back yard.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Customer Service wrote:
    Dave,
    Sorry you feel this way. I would advise you to order one and depending on how the igniter is handled and how carefully it is installed will determine how long will last.
    Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 2:13 PM
    To: Customer Service

Subject: Re: repeat GSCR305 broiler issue
    Dear Unidentified "Customer Service" Representative,
    I would like to order the part. Could you advise on how many I should order? Can I expect more than 2 years service from this part?
    I like to provide advice to other Capital owners on several cooking forums, and this information would be valuable to them as well. The only other advice I can provide in these forums will be to lower any expectations on your product, and to strongly consider other options when spending such a large amount of money with a company that does not stand behind their product when problems arise. To quote one forum user discussing your "service":

"The worst part? In each of these instances, Capital customer service did nothing at all until I posted here about it. In each case it took many weeks, emails, calls and the last resort - public posts - to get Capital to begin addressing the issue."
    I have steered 2 neighbors toward your product in the past 4 years. I don't think I'll feel comfortable doing so in the future.
    Thank you for the part number, phone number and pricing information. However, I remain disappointed in the response.
    Dave

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Customer Service wrote:
    Dave,
    That part number is 82401-02 they are $35.87 plus shipping. If you would like to order this part please call Capital Cooking Equipment, Inc. at 562-903-1168.
    Thank you.
    Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:52 PM
    To: customerservice@capital-cooking.com
    Subject: Fwd: repeat GSCR305 broiler issue
    To Whom it may Concern,
    Attached is my previous conversations with Bob Waymire regarding a repeated broiler issue with my otherwise wonderful GSCR305. I sent a message to him directly 1/23/13, but with no response I'm assuming he's left your employ. Hopefully this message finds someone able to assist me with this issue.
    Please respond by email at your earliest convenience.
    Thank you,
    Dave

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM
    To: Bob Waymire

Bob,
    I hope this message finds you well.
    Unfortunately, I'm contacting you re. my broiler, which has had the igniter fail again.
    Below is our previous conversation regarding the the previous 2 incidents. If you would be able to send the igniter part again, I would be able to arrange installation.
    Thanks for your help.
    Dave

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Bob Waymire wrote:
    Dave,
    I am going to send an igniter to you.
    I suspect this is the part that has gone bad.
    You will need to make arrangements to get it installed.
    Bob

Sent: Monday, March 07, 2011 11:25 AM
    Bob,
    It does not. The indicator light on the panel turns on , but no glow in the oven at all.
    Dave

On Mar 7, 2011, at 13:31, "Bob Waymire" wrote:

Dave,
    Does the igniter glow red when turned on?
    Bob

Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 3:49 AM
    To: bwaymire@capital-cooking.com
    Subject: repeat GSCR305 broiler issue
    Bob,
    My broiler has again gone out of service. I've gone through troubleshooting again to no avail. Hopefully you're still with Capital and this message reaches you.
    Please let me know if you can be of assistance.
    Thanks,
    Dave

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    Subject: RE: GSCR305 broiler issue
    To: Dave

Dave,
    I have sent a work order and parts to our service provider (Intertech
    Services 847-965-9100) in your area. They should be in contact with you
    within 24-48 hours.
    Bob

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:53 AM
    Subject: Re: GSCR305 broiler issue

Bob,

Date of Purchase I believe was May 2, 2008 from Trevor at Eurostoves.com
    Serial number is GCR1207-xxxx
    Model number GSCR305

Thanks for your time and attention.

Dave

On 9/28/09, Bob Waymire wrote:
    > Dave,
    > > If you would send me your address, phone number, date of purchase, model
    and
    > serial number we will arrange a service agency from here.
    > > Bob
    > >
    > From: Dave [mailto:dave.@gmail.com]
    > Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 9:04 AM
    > To: customerservice@capital-cooking.com
    > Subject: GSCR305 broiler issue
    > >
    > > I purchased a gscr305 from Trevor at Eurostoves in May of 2008. The
    broiler
    > portion is now inoperable, and the vendor I planned to utilize for service
    > is now out of business (Wehrli Appliances, Naperville, IL).
    > As I understand this range should be covered under warranty, and I'm
    looking
    > for guidance from you on how to get my stove back up and running. I have
    > tested in in separate outlets and have ruled out any problems with power
    > supply on my end.
    > Thanks for your time, I look forward to hearing from you.
    > Dave
    >

• eleena
    11 years ago

The sad thing is, that it is true about ALL brands. In my blissful ignorant past, I did not bother too much with researching appliances. Reading Consumer Reports was the extent of it. Top of the line Maytag dishwasher was as far as I'd go - you got the picture.

And you know what? It worked. The cheap fridges in rentals as well as the ones that came with my last two houses worked just fine. Yes, they were noisy but that was my only complaint. I once spent $50 to fix a burner on the ceramic cooktop in my previous house. I cannot even believe I got upset about it.

Now, that I have a Bosch DW (that was top of the line when we bought it) as well as a high-end refrigerator, I am not happy at all. The DW is indeed quiet but does not wash well on any cycle other than heavy duty. The fridge is a total lemon but the warranty has expired.

What is a girl to do?

I am really hesitant to shell out $$$$ on any other high-end appliances as the brand name is no longer a (reasonable) guarantee that the thing would work 5 years from now.

Did I mention that my parents had a refrigerator for 40 years?

Sorry about your troubles, OP. Just wanted to say that you are not alone and I feel your pain. :-)

• D Ahn
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about the negative experiences as well. I too am just having a 60" CC installed in our new kitchen, and this is making me very nervous. I'm having issues with Northland refrigerator and freezer, but they're making it right so far. It sounds like the economy has been tough on a lot of companies, as most of the same brands are competing for a much smaller total market. While it seems there's a huge margin in a $8-13K range, if you only sell 1-2 a month (just picking those numbers out of the air), that may not pay your overhead, as opposed to a company that sells 1000 $800 ranges a month.

I just hope I don't run into any issues that require contacting customer service for help!

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, that's disappointing. But don't give up - this is a very, very expensive purchase, and you can and should reasonably expect it to provide many years of service. You should probably start a separate thread detailing exactly what happened, and hopefully someone from Capital will see it and respond appropriately. Oh, and "sorry you feel that way" is the worst kind of patronizing, passive-aggressive non-apology a customer service rep can make.

• wesley1769
    9 years ago

I also believe i bought a lemon from capital (gscr366n) not happy with my purchase hope they do the right thing. so upset with capital. it took me a long time to save up for my purchase and am experiencing lots of problems. watch youtube video below I recorded some of my problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: video of capital problems

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Lemons happen in all brands. It sounds like a Monday Friday deal.