Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmy_superfly

loren cook industrial rooftop exhaust fan

jimmy_superfly
9 years ago

i have the opportunity to pick one of these up second hand real cheap and its tempting to try to build a range hood with nice performance for a fraction of the price. Does anyone have any experience with one of these (or another industrial exhaust fan) in a home? ive used them in the chemical industry in hoods and cooling of electronics but never in a residence. just looking for any thoughts on how effective you guy one would be supplying the suction to a home made range hood and if it would be worth it to build my own ducting, hood and make up system.

i dont know it might be fun just as a project

Comments (7)

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Is it UL listed for use in a residential application? More importantly. What is it going over and how wide? What is the model and specs of what you can get? Setting it up for pure academic sake is fun but is it going to prove effective for your application? Cost aside will it be worth it. What type of controller is used?

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Is it upblast or downblast? Single phase or three-phase? Voltage rating? What is the zero static pressure rated flow rate? Does it have an interface box for your roof slope? Is the motor induction type and feasible for you to control with an easlily available motor control. Who will make your hood for you?

This could be an interesting project with a lot of opportunities to become informed about many aspects of ventilation stack sizing and design. Just don't expect a turn-key solution when only one part of the whole is in your possession.

It is worth noting that the impeller, motor, and housing are only part of the stack cost; a residential hood with nice appearance, chimney cover, dampers, ducting, silencer, etc. can be quite a bit more expensive than the blower assembly.

kas

• jimmy_superfly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well its hard to get a lot of details on it because a friend of mine that owns a demolition company found it in a warehouse (not in use in a warehouse, on a shelf in the warehouse). It says on the tag that it is 115v single phase 60hertz so i dont think residential use is out of the question. it also says .167 hp and 1742 fan rpm 2013 max rpm. no info on cfm on that portion of the tag next to design cfm and design sp i has a dash. i will be building a hood and system myself. inlet to the impeller looks like its about 6.5in

• jimmy_superfly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kaseki: based on other range hood topics you and jdoenumber2 seem to be the local ventilation experts. can i ask if you work in the industry or how you know so much about this sort of thing? sorry if you have explained this before, im new to the forum.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Somewhere on it should be a part number that you can look up at the loren cook web site. Note that industrial fan housings won't specify flow rate because that is a variable depending on motor selection and, in applicable cases, fan belt sheaf diameter ratio.

6.5 inches duct diameter may be a tad on the smallish side, depending on your cooking style, hood aperture area, etc. It might be more suitable for ventilating the overall kitchen in cases where the oven(s) are not under the cooktop hood, but in a wall cabinet somewhere else in the kitchen.

I recommend starting from first principles (which I've addressed a few times on this site) and defining what you need for performance, then choosing components to meet the performance. There is still significant opportunity for DIY fabrication.

kas

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

I will sum it up. I love and hate ventilation for the infinite variables of complication. If you provide the model number and tell us how you want it to look and work I will assist the best I can. Btw who is installing it? With a 6.5 inch round you can only move about 600 cfm mor or less all things considered. I let's say the blower is really high output and and you cannot throttle back speed I would scrap it and get a more apporperate setup. Keep us posted and I'm sure with all of us here we can help make sense of it.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

I will sum it up. I love and hate ventilation for the infinite variables of complication. If you provide the model number and tell us how you want it to look and work I will assist the best I can. Btw who is installing it? With a 6.5 inch round you can only move about 600 cfm mor or less all things considered. I let's say the blower is really high output and and you cannot throttle back speed I would scrap it and get a more apporperate setup. Keep us posted and I'm sure with all of us here we can help make sense of it.