Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teehee1984

My appliances turned out to be lemons...

Teehee1984
9 years ago

I did try to research appliances...did a lot of reading on this forum, but I still managed to make some bad choices. I am so upset. I am posting this so others don't make the same mistakes.

All of my appliances have had problems. My wolf induction cooktop arrived damaged, but was quickly replaced and it works like a dream. That is the good news.

Bad news is my GE Monogram Advantium and 30 inch wall oven. I've had three service visits and still not fixed. My wall oven doesn't hold a steady temp, despite a new thermostat. As for the advantium, steam/condensation drips down the side, onto my cabinets, and puddles on the oven below. It is starting to ruin the finish on my new cabinets....so I can't really use it. Ge service is good, prompt, friendly, although it remains to be seen how ge handles/resolves this.

My kitchenaid CD/FD/Stainless fridge had problems and the service never showed up -- twice. Condensation was forming on the strip between the French doors and was puddling on my wood floor. Thankfully someone on this forum provided helpful advice about the humidity control feature. I am hoping that will solve the problem going forward (this was happening in warmer, more humid weather...fingers crossed it will be ok next spring/summer when it isn't quite hot enough to turn on the AC....) Whirlpool/KA service is awful; KA/whirlpool seems to contract it out to these fly by night companies that don't show up. And they want me to buy a service contract???

My Faber pull out vent works great, but the light flickers wildly for 2-3 minutes. This is the second unit. A weld broke on the first unit and the baffles fell out. This light issue is still unresolved. Remains to be seen how Faber handles this.

I so wish I could go back to July and redo my choices. If I knew then what I know now.........I would make much MUCH different choices. I'd do the Miele speedcook and oven or the wolf micro combo + oven. I'd probably do the Liebherr fridge. Sadly that will be a painful change down the road because the cabinet will have to be changed.

Sorry to be a downer. Sad that you can spend thousands and end up with these problems.

Comments (10)

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

where is steam coming from with the Advantium? It is not a steam oven. Is this an over the range model?

• Teehee1984
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steam from the cooking food. I showed the technician by cooking 3-4 potatoes. That type of steam. It seeps out the doors and drips down the cabinet and pools on the top of the oven.

• Teehee1984
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of what I mean.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Teehee - my 30 inch advantium does not drool steam. Hope you can get it fixed.

BTW - have you figured out the secret Wolf power levels on your induction unit. They don't advertise them but it is very helpful to know that medium is different power levels based on the function of the burner and the overall wattage available.

Good luck!

• practigal
    9 years ago

Did you buy them all from the same store? Sometimes I think that some retailers are a bit unscrupulous and resell barely used already returned fixed units as new, knowing full well that there was a problem/that it is illegal to do that.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Teehee just happened to see your post and want you to know that I have the same problem with my Advantium. I have the Profile 120 version. I tried searching the Internet for the problem / solution but didnt find any info.
    It pretty much only happens when I speed cook potatoes and yams (haven't microwaved them so don't know if it happens then). Good thing I seldom cook potatoes but now when I do, I keep an eye on it with paper towel in hand. Should not have to do this, I know but I never got around to calling for service. I have wondered about that moisture getting into the control panel of the oven below it.

Please post if you get an answer to this problem.

Also, A2gemini I see you still are wandering around these forums. Happy Holidays to you from your cyber twin.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Any brand can have lemons. Life happens. Sounds like a Monday, Friday deal. Miele does care more than most manufacturers. I have seen them leave people stranded but far less than any other company.

Good luck!

• redrange
    9 years ago

Hey, you're not alone. ALL of our new kitchen appliances have failed, some multiple times. Bluestar, Instahot, JennAir/Maytag fridges and dishwasher, Tapmaster. Every stinking one. Our under-counter fridge just failed for the THIRD time, and we're debating fixing or buying something newâ¦. with fears that something new will be the devil we don't know.

Heh. When we did the remodel, I warned my husband that my research on Garden Web suggested that we could expect one appliance to fail, no matter which brands we chose. I never expected them all to go!

So, I feel your pain. As does my checking account. :)

This post was edited by redrange on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 12:08

• lepages
    9 years ago

I had a similar problem with steam escaping on a JennAir combi steam oven. The technician came out and replaced the gasket in the door and the problem went away. Maybe that's what need to be done on your unit?

• robert_sett
    9 years ago

Teehee: regarding the Faber hood - I would assume it has halogen lights? If so, the flickering issue could be caused by one of several things:

1.) Bad transformer (not likely, they usually fail completely, not flicker).
    2.) Bad wiring (intermittent short circuit / insulation failure causing current leakage bad enough to affect the transformer).
    3.) The hood is on a shared line, and something else on the same line (dimmable lights? coffeemaker? microwave?) is messing with the voltage hard enough to make the transformer malfunction.

You can't do much about #1 and #2 until Faber replaces the parts or the entire unit, but have an electrician check out #3 and confirm if the line to the hood is dedicated.

If the line is not dedicated, you may have the same exact problem with any other hood you put into its place. Low-power halogen transformers can be very sensitive to voltage changes, producing flickers or burning out the bulbs much faster than they should.