Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shorts_gw

My hood lets in cold air!! Help!

shorts
12 years ago

I have a 1200 cfm Broan above my BS and with winter coming I've started to feel tons of cold air coming in. Am I missing a damper or something? If so, do these come standard with Braun installation or was this something my builder should have done himself at installation?

Now that the damage is done, what type of professional should I call to fix?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• antss
    12 years ago

"Am I missing a damper or something?"

perhaps, is this an internal blower model or do you have a roof/wall mounted motor ?

If the latter - your builder should have added an inline damper.

Even so it is still possible in some instances to "feel" cold air entering your home. You see, these dampers do not seal 100%

• shorts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

there is an exterior motor I believe.
    When I remove the grease catch, there is A LOT of cold air. The kitchen is definitely colder because of it!

• aprince
    12 years ago

1200 CFM is a remote blower. Have your installer come back and check it out. Damper is stuck open or malfunctioning or just not there

• davidro1
    12 years ago

some dampers use gravity to close them. Some have springs. Once you know what you have and why it's not working right now, you will be able to figure out what steps to take to make it more reliable.

• stooxie
    12 years ago

I have a 1200cfm blower that is internal. Direct vents right out the back wall. Noisier than remote but effective!

There is a wall cap on the outside that has a gravity-closed aluminum flap. Seems to keep the cold air out. I don't feel any cold air coming in from my hood. My much-maligned IR thermometer shows the baffles at 59 degrees, while surrounding objects are 60 to 64 degrees. Outside temp is 30.

-Stooxie

• shorts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah...i must be missing a flap of some sort. Will get in touch with someone tomorrow!

• antss
    12 years ago

If you have the squarish #335 - it has a built in damper that has a spring mech. If it's broken, removed , stuck , you'll have issues. At any rate it's not the best anyway in my opinion , and we add an inline damper in most cases.

If you have the true roof mount that's round - I'm not sure about its damper.

Got to get on the roof /wall to check the 335.

• shorts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

UPDATE - I went outside to check the damper issue - The external blower has a spring loaded damper that seems to work fine when I ran the hood...opens and closes well.

Inside, I took off the grease traps and took a look at the ducts - wide open. Took a look at the installation manual and they recommend a 10" inline damper between the vertical duct and the elbow duct to the outside. Seems like I am missing an optional 2nd damper. Question is how easy is it to install???

• Emilner
    12 years ago

I would think it would be tough to instal unless you have easy access to the ductwork. Is the damper sealing well? I have a wall damper and I used high a temp rubber gasket material around the opening to give the damper something to seat into (it was just metal on metal before that).

• shorts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I spoke to Broan customer service and he said the optional 10" damper is pretty easy to install if I can just wiggle the ducts apart. I do have access to the ducts, too!
    Ordered the part, $30 bucks online. He said it will definitely help with the cold!

• aprince
    12 years ago

Should have said "The Broan 1200 CFM blower is a remote blower"

• antss
    12 years ago

prince - maybe not

Broan/BEST make 1200 CFM "internal" blowers too !

CP37 is their dual cage 1200 CFM power pack.

-here's one -

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WT32I482SB.html

- plus this one -

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/CP37I482SB.html

- plus this one -

Here is a link that might be useful: 1200 CFM internal

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company