Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldhomeplace

Install non-Gagg oven under Gagg 30" induction cooktop?

Hannah Koenker
10 years ago

We are getting a free floor model Gaggenau induction cooktop (from a friend - yay!), the 481 30". I'm trying to figure out if an oven can be installed beneath it - we can't afford to buy a matching Gaggenau oven, but has anyone installed another built in oven below the 481? It has rather large implications for our kitchen layout.

Comments (11)

• xedos
    10 years ago

None of Gaggenau's induction tops are suitable for use over any oven.

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

The induction cooktop and oven models from different makers can benefit from not being stacked one on top of the other if you have the room in your kitchen to do things differently. That would also minimize future replacement conflict headaches for each item and prevent quibbles re warranty responsibility for needed repairs.

• Hannah Koenker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! We do have room to put the oven elsewhere. I appreciate the very logical and practical advice!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

xedos, why is that? What do you mean by "not suitable" -- meaning it won't fit, won't work even if it does fit, or violates the warranty?

• xedos
    10 years ago

^ ^ ^

meaning that the install / planning instructions don't show that configuration so it is not DESIGNED to have an oven placed below them.

Some tops have been designed for that application , but not these.

I have no idea if an oven, Gaggenau or otherwise, would physically fit underneath one. YOU can easily add and subtract up you overall cabinet height, the oven height, its cutout differential (if any), the countertop thickness, and allow for recessed cooktop install if you are going that route, and add in the necessary clearance to the nearest metal object (the oven) - and come up with a number that tells you whether a particular oven will fit or not.

Me , my time is too valuable to tot up any of those numbers because at the end of the day Gaggenau doesn't sanction an oven below their induction tops. So, it'd be a moot point.

My strong suspicion is that the cooling fan underneath these units cannot cope with the heat given off by an oven below them. You'll have to ask Gaggenau about what they will and will not warranty, but I'm pretty confident that an oven installed below this top will negate warranty consideration from them should you need it.

This post was edited by xedos on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 19:44

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

It also doesn't show it being mounted above a drawer, but people do it anyway.

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

I just looked at the installation instructions. They show it over a drawer, an oven and a dishwasher. They don't recommend it to be installed over a refrigerator.

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

I just looked at the installation instructions. They show it over a drawer, an oven and a dishwasher. They don't recommend it to be installed over a refrigerator.

• xedos
    10 years ago

Would you please show us a link to Gaggenau's planing info that shows THIS cooktop over an oven or a dishwasher - because frankly - I do not believe you !

I think you'll find the text really says: "DO NOT" install (over those things) if you take the time to read carefully.

FYI - their instructions do talk about mounting it above a drawer BUT there are clear parameters about clearance distances that need to be maintained !

• dan1888
    10 years ago

There is zero unique about the install requirements for a Gaggenau unit.
    And in no way are the limitations outlined above even logical. No manufacturer would want their installation instructions interpreted in that way. It is talk radio logic.
    Gaggenau shows a 1" space requirement under their 2.25" deep unit.
    They also say if you have a drawer under a unit it is best not to put small objects or paper, aluminum foil or flammable material--liquids or sprays in it. These could interfere with the fan.
    Box in the top at that 1" space with 1/2" ply and you can put whatever you want under there.
    If I wanted to install an oven I would take the added precaution of adding a layer of Roxul mineral wool to insulate the ply from the oven heat as long as the oven install requirements for space above the oven were met.

Gaggenau is made by Bosch Siemens Home Appliance Group. You can follow the recommendations for a Bosch unit.

• xedos
    10 years ago

hey dan - you'll find that very few ovens will fit below that cooktop after you allow for that spacing !

second, you'll still likely be in no man's land on the warranty with Gaggenau.

you , of course , are able to do whatever you please as this is America.