Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dccurlygirl

Blue Star Culinary Series

dccurlygirl
9 years ago

Any reviews of the Blue Star 36" Culinary Series Gas Range? This is the one with the sealed burners. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My understanding is that it is essentially the RCS but with sealed burners instead. So you might search for reviews of the RCS of which there are a few but not many.

To me it seems that the nova open burners are the central reason why one would choose a bluestar and so what is the point of getting a bluestar without the best aspect of bluestar?

YMMV

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HDP, I'm looking for a reasonably priced (?), pro-look/pro range with a good performance record. BlueStar ranges have many fans and the RCS seems to fit the bill, but I am not interested in open burners.

In your experience, are there other ranges in the same price range (with sealed burners) that I should look at instead? I'm considering the Bertazzoni and Verona.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>BlueStar ranges have many fans and the RCS seems to fit the bill, but I am not interested in open burners

As HerrDoktorProfessor said, the Bluestar fans are talking about the RCS and up ranges, not this one. Those fans exist primarily because of the open burners. It is what Bluestar does best, it is their claim to flame. Getting a Bluestar without open burners just doesn't really make sense, especially given the fit/finish and quality issues discussed here so often. If you want sealed burners I'd look elsewhere.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 6:26

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

At that price point the bluestar will get you substantially more firepower up top and a larger oven than the berta.

I think build quality is better with the berta. Verona seems to be more hit or miss based on opinions here.

I was in a similar price niche as you though I needed 30" not 36" and I was open to (preferred) open burners. I was ready to pull the trigger on the BS RCS but the wife was very leery of the oven door temps (a concern which I personally feel has some legitimacy) though I was willing to over look.

Ultimately, The ranges I seriously considered all in 30" (not all are available in 36"

Bluestar RCS (2nd place; hot door)

Bosch Benchmark (3rd place; sub-optimal burner configuration)

Dacor Destinctive (poor oven performance; mixed reviews of quality)

GE Cafe (poor burner performance)

Bertazzoni Pro (small oven, weird burner configuration more show than go on the BTUs)

Thermador Pro Harmony ($$$; too much firepower for my CFM/venting limitations)

DCS (too much firepower for my CFM/venting limitations)

Ultimately what I went with is the newly released Jenn-Air range

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

Another thing to consider with these pro;semi-pro ranges is the BTU output and the venting CFM needs it brings with it.

Will you have outside venting? A hood? How much CFM? do you have plans for Make-up air?

If you getting something with 70+ btus up top (which it seems like you are) and plan on utilizing much of it simultaneously you will need some fairly serious venting.

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is all very helpful information, HDP. It's useful (to me, anyway) to read about your experiences researching various ranges in a similar pricepoint. I have not looked at a JennAir, but will take the time to do so.

To answer your question, I will have outside venting with a hood. I have not made any decisions on this item, yet. The kitchen will be part of an addition to my house, so I'm fortunate to be able to take it a piece at a time.

> If you want sealed burners I'd look elsewhere.hvtech42, since you are not impressed by the Bluestar (for my needs), is there a range (in my price range) that is better suited? You have knowledge that obviously I don't.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

NXR, GE Cafe, JennAir, Dacor, Bertazzoni, and Electrolux Icon are some you could look at.

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your list is much appreciated, hvtech42. The search/research continues!

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Bluestar's claim to fame are it's powerful open burners.(which I have and love)
    To me, getting a Bluestar with sealed burners is like getting a two wheel drive Jeep ;)
    ...there are other choices out there that may suit your needs better. Chris

• gtadross_gw
    9 years ago

Agree with ctycm. I also have an open burner 36" bluestar and love it. If you don't the open burners bc you think cleaning them will be hard, then that shouldn't dissuade you. Cleaning open burners is easier. Food falls through the openings onto a removable drip tray below and the cast iron top can be cleaned by running a dry brush over the surface to get the food particles swept into the drip tray. Grease and oil gets sort of absorbed by the cast iron top and creates a nice slick patina, not unlike a cast iron pan.

Whereas with sealed burners, you have to wipe, scrub and dry the top after each cook. We've all had sealed burners and we all know that's it's imppss to keep clean.

As to performance, open wins out again. With sealed, the flame is thrown to the outside parts of the pan. Even on high end wolfs or Vikings, the flame doesn't ever hit the middle of the pan. On an open burner, the flame shoots right up into the pan from directly underneath. On bluestar's star pattern, you get the maximum flame to pan contact.

I'd suggest cooking on both a high end sealed burner (any of them as they're all pretty much the same) and then cooking on an open burner in a showroom with a live model or at a friends who has one and compare the two experiences. Certainly take into account the clean up afterwards if that's a driving factor in your decision.

• alexrander
    9 years ago

American and Capital also make sealed burner 'pro' ranges.

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with and knowledge of open burners. Knowledge is power.

• karenandroyce
    8 years ago

I learned more from reading your review than HUNDREDS of others... THANK YOU for taking the time to provide substantive, unbiased, useful context to the open vs. sealed burner discussion!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living