Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wesley1769_gw

capital stove problems very upset

wesley1769
9 years ago

Hey guys, wanted to post this message for anyone thinking of purchasing a capital stove. I recently purchased a brand new capital stove, model # gscr366n and i am extremely upset with them.
PROBLEM 1) After the second time of using the burner caps paint start to crack and burn off,(picture attached) leaving me with 6 discolored burner caps.
PROBLEM 2) The first time i used the oven half way through cooking the door locked in place and would not open. after several times of turning the unit off and on it finally opened up, now the light for the lock remains on and makes weird noises.
PROBLEM 3) the ignitor continues to click while the burners are on. it doesn't do it all the time but for no reason at all it just starts clicking.

PROBLEM 4) after 2 weeks of having the stove we used the oven for the 2nd time and began hearing a very loud noise coming from the rear of the unit.

PROBLEM 5) discoloration to the stainless steel front door panel.

ok since the first problem, i have been on the phone with capital who was attempting to help me out. I spoke with a nice guy (ever villaneuva) from there tech department who shipped me new burner caps right away. after beginning to experience all the other problems capital arranged a service tech to come to my house to inspect the unit. the service guy determined the locking mechanism needed to be replaced, the cooling fan in the rear was broken and needed replacement, the igniter needed some type of adjustment, and the door panel need replacement.
I'm sorry but to experience all of these issues with a brand new stove is unacceptable. I want a new stove at this this point not even asking for a refund just a replacement. i haven't had it for 1 week before experiencing problems I believe this unit needs to be replaced. THIS WAS NOT A FLOOR MODLE OR A USED ITEM!!! THIS WAS A BRAND NEW EXPENSIVE STOVE. IT APPEARS THEY DO NOT WANT TO REPLACE THE STOVE BUT RATHER HAVE SOMEONE COME AND FIX IT. IM VERY UNHAPPY WITH CAPITAL AND BELIEVE I DESERVE BETTER.
I AM WISHING I PURCHASED A WOLF OR BLUESTAR AT THIS TIME.

I WILL POST A VIDEO SOON OF THE PROBLEM ON YOUTUBE I HOPE THIS GETS CAPITAL'S ATTENTION TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR COSTUMERS AND I HOPE THIS HELPS OTHERS WITH MAKING THEIR PURCHASES.

YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK OF PROBLEMS LISTED BELOW

Here is a link that might be useful: YOUTUBE VIDEO OF PROBLEMS

This post was edited by wesley1769 on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 20:24

Comments (17)

• wesley1769
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this is the picture of discoloration on the door. it is not a dirty spot or stained spot. it is actually discolored.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    9 years ago

I am a huge believer in "two sides for every story" having said that going by your post. I would be going to your dealer and kicking him in the *** to get me a new range NOW.

Have you been to your Dealer ?

• eshmh
    9 years ago

My culinarian manual says discoloration on stainless steel panel can be removed by using Revere Ware Stainless Steel Cleaner.

• PRO
    9 years ago

I am a huge believer in "two sides for every story" having said that going by your post. I would be going to your dealer and kicking him in the *** to get me a new range NOW.

Have you been to your Dealer ?

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

From his video it sounds like yes he has been in contact with his dealer but they have not been helpful other than the solution of fixing the myriad problems he's had.

Given the array of problems he's had if I were the OP I would also want a new unit. It sounds like he just got a lemon. They happen, even with the best manufacturers. As much as those things cost Capital should step up to the plate.

• practigal
    9 years ago

According to their website, they only warranty the finish for 90 days, that's actually longer than many other manufacturers who do warranty the finish at all. My concern about the finish on the oven door is that what causes the rust and discoloration is the presence of water. So if water from the kitchen sink it's not making its way to the front panel, it makes me think that a little steam is coming out around that door or water, which should not happen...

• wesley1769
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey guys thanks for your response. the unit came to my house with the discoloration from the store. however the discoloration is the least of my problems. how is it that in a matter of 3 weeks, you have so many broken parts to a brand new stove. and if thats the case capital should step in and take care of the issue by replacing the whole unit not trying to put a bandaid on it.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Again have you contacted your dealer ?????

• wesley1769
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yea i contacted aj madison my dealer, they've been giving me the run around. first off super hard to speak with them, they never answer the phone. i have wrote several emails untill i finally got an answer. after speaking with them they put me back in touch with the capital who sent a technician to my house. they want to fix all the broken parts. but im not ok with that. listen if it was one year down the road and i began having some problems maybe then i'd accept it. but after purchasing a brand new $5100.00 item i don't expect to have so many different parts break on it. even if it was just the fan i'd be like ok replace it. but to have 5 different problems in 2 weeks its just unacceptable.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Not surprising AJ Madison blew you off, heck that's what they do. They sell on price with zero back up to the customer.

Options as i see it....

1) Call you credit card company and have them take the money from AJ Madison under "goods defective". That will get their attention, then they might offer you a little more help.

2) Demand AJ Helps you with Capital via attorneys letter.

3) Call Capital and the Distributor to discuss options regarding a new unit.

• malba2366
    9 years ago

When did you buy the range? If you are not getting any help from the manufacturer or your dealer I would threaten to file a chargeback with your credit card, and if you don't get results quickly follow file the chargeback.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Did you know when you purchase a product it comes with a warranty. Not a guarantee. A warranty is to fix manufacturers defects and they have addressed all of your issues. Not trying to defend a online retailer but I don't see fault on their end. They drop shipped you a product you did all the research on and you picked it. Please explain how it is their fault? Dealers and manufacturers would go out of business if they swapped their defective products. Lemons happen and most of the times they don't. Think of appliances like cars. No one will take a car{{gwi:807}} back if you took delivery on it. The way the real world works is you be patient and they fix it.

This post was edited by jdoenumber2 on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 22:41

• weissman
    9 years ago

Not true - at least some retailers/manufacturers will take back a defective product within a short time frame - usually 30 days - I was once in that situation with a printer. Also, some states have lemon laws.

• malba2366
    9 years ago

Actually the retailer/manufacturer are required to provide a working product to the buyer under implied warranty. Most jurisdictions will uphold an implied warranty of mechantibility which basically states that goods sold have to meet an ordinary buyers expectations in terms of functionality. Issues 2,3, and 4 in the OPs post would fall under this. Therefore it is not unreasonable for the OP to request a new range, or to return the product delivered for refund as the item delivered to him does not meet the above criteria.

This post was edited by malba2366 on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 23:21

• wesley1769
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One or two issues I might be ok with them repairing but come on having to take apart my whole stove is ridiculous. If you go to a store and purchase a tv and get home that tv don't work you mean to tell me your not going to return it??? I'm even more pissed because I have family coming over and I don't have a stove for Christmas? I understand maybe Aj madison don't want to take the item back but capital needs to say we sent a defective stove out and need to do the right thing here.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Wouldn't the manufacturer be upholding the implied warranty in addition to the expressed warranty in this current situation? I don't agree that having that many issues occuring the first month is normal. Just that these things happen unfortunately. Limitations of time and liability vary state to state. I hope you do get resolution have it be a properly working or replaced range. Good luck!

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undrstnd.htm

• malba2366
    9 years ago

Well the OP has an agreement with AJ Madison to provide a working range for the agreed price. AJ Madison then has an agreement with Capital to provide said range. If there is any dispute the dealer should work with the OP to make things right. If it is one or two small problems it would be reasonable for the OP to request warranty service from the manufacturer, but he was delivered an item that clearly does not perform up to reasonable standards, and he should be entitled to a replacement.

If the dealer bears no responsibility for the customer service experience then there is no reason for their existence...customers could simply order straight from the manufacturer.