Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwickham

Oven shutting off when timer shuts off?

KAREN
10 years ago

I was having a discussion about ovens this week end with my sister and sister in law. They were telling me that when they are baking some thing in the oven and the timer they have set for the baking goes off the oven also shuts off. They claim that they are not set on time/bake. Is this right? I know one was a Kitchen aid and I'm not sure about the other brand, Fridgidare or Whirlpool. I find this rather strange and wouldn't like this concept. Is this how new ovens are now?
TIA

Comments (14)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

The oven in my last place (GE Profile) did that and it drove me crazy! I had to constantly remind myself to set a timer and not the "cook time".

• User
    10 years ago

My Whirlpool has a cook timer and just a "kitchen" timer. If you set the wrong one that could happen.

You can also inadvertently shut off the oven if you hit "cancel" when the kitchen timer goes off. That seems to cancel out everything.....

I've only had this one for a little over a year, and it took me awhile to figure out how to avoid just this exact problem. I kept using the kitchen timer because I didn't want the oven to automatically shut off, but then I'd hit cancel to stop the timer from beeping and that turned everything off anyway.

This post was edited by patriceny on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 9:12

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

You guys are making me very happy that I have a simple gas range with no automatic anything!! That really sounds like a PITA.

• LE
    10 years ago

"You can also inadvertently shut off the oven if you hit "cancel" when the kitchen timer goes off. That seems to cancel out everything..... "

We've had our "new" oven for almost a year and that still trips me up now and then. Somebody didn't work very hard on their user interface!

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one, though!

• dadoes
    10 years ago

On my GE Profile, the minute timer is labeled Kitchen Timer (and is subtitled On/Off) and the timed baking function is Cooking Time.

Setting the minute timer is matter of pressing Kitchen Timer, entering the time. Press Start to trigger it immediately, or press nothing else and it'll start after a few seconds delay.

Pressing the separate Cancel/Off button turns off the timer, and the oven, if the set time has elapsed to beeping ... which is a logical function being as one would reasonably want to turn the oven off at end of the minute timer cycle.

Otherwise, press Kitchen Timer when the time has elapsed to shut off the beeping without affecting the oven.

If the time is not elapsed, press Kitchen Timer once to pause it (as if to reset the time), then press a 2nd time to cancel the timer.

• sail_away
    10 years ago

On my Jenn-Air wall oven, the oven does not turn off when the timer ends. However, there is a separate setting you can select to have the oven turn to "keep warm" when the time expires. My problem with the timer is that you can only hear it if you're in the kitchen---my old timer I could hear from my office. So now I either have to stay in the kitchen or take a separate timer with me to remind me to go back to the kitchen because the timer will ring shortly. Overall, though, I find the controls pretty intuitive.

• sushmita dey
    6 years ago

Hi, i have frigidaire oven, while baking it works fine for Pre-heating. For baking i set time and it get's automatically off and do not turn on again. Please suggest what should i do? am i missing anything?

• plllog
    6 years ago

You'll probably get more answers if you start a new thread with a title for your problem.

Have you read the user's manual? It sounds like you have a "feature" engaged that is using the timer as a countdown (i.e., autoshutoff). You should be able to turn that feature off. If you don't have the manual, they should have a PDF of it on the Frigidaire website.

• bengal2
    6 years ago

I had the same problem with my Whirlpool when I shut off the timer with the cancel button, the oven shut off, too. I finally consulted the manual and it said when the timer goes off, you have to hit the timer button twice to shut it off, not the cancel button. Sometimes when the timer goes off, you need to reset it to allow the food to cook longer, but you don't want the oven to shut off!!

• A R
    5 years ago

Thanks, bengal2, that solved the problem for me! I just got a new Kitchenaid range, and it was driving me crazy!

• janetshopsonline
    12 months ago

This is happening on our new KitchenAid oven. It's infuriating. My fingers go nowhere near the Cancel button - I'm usually adding time to the timer - and it turns off the oven. Really annoying.

• awm03
    12 months ago

Modern electric ovens have two kinds of timers. One is a simple timer that sounds the alarm for you to turn off the oven. The other sounds the alarm & turns off the oven automatically -- handy if you are doing other tasks at the moment. Many ovens now have a third timer that lets you delay the start, bake for a designated time, then turn off automatically.

Read your manual or download one to learn how to use the simple timer.

The names for these timers can be confusing -- easy to select the wrong one. I think my GE calls them "Cook Time" and "Timed Cook." Clear as mud, but a lot simpler to use than my old KitchenAid. I always had to refer to the KA manual to learn which buttons & in what sequence.

• dadoes
    12 months ago

Yes to awm03's information. My mother's circa-2005 Whirlpool wall oven has those three kinds of timing functions. One is a simple minute Timer that beeps after the elapsed time but does not turn the oven off. One is a Cook Time that does turn the oven off. Third is an automatic Start/Stop Delay timer that turns the oven on at the desired xx:xx time of day, bakes for the desired time (minutes/hours), then turns the oven off.