Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oven shutting off when timer shuts off?

Posted by parts (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 17:08

I was having a discussion about ovens this week end with my sister and sister in law. They were telling me that when they are baking some thing in the oven and the timer they have set for the baking goes off the oven also shuts off. They claim that they are not set on time/bake. Is this right? I know one was a Kitchen aid and I'm not sure about the other brand, Fridgidare or Whirlpool. I find this rather strange and wouldn't like this concept. Is this how new ovens are now?
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oven shutting off when timer shuts off?

The oven in my last place (GE Profile) did that and it drove me crazy! I had to constantly remind myself to set a timer and not the "cook time".

o

Our Kitchenaid range we bought in 2010 did not turn off with the timer. Our Breville toaster oven does shut off with the timer, but I've never had a range oven turn off with the timer.

o

My Whirlpool has a cook timer and just a "kitchen" timer. If you set the wrong one that could happen.

You can also inadvertently shut off the oven if you hit "cancel" when the kitchen timer goes off. That seems to cancel out everything.....

I've only had this one for a little over a year, and it took me awhile to figure out how to avoid just this exact problem. I kept using the kitchen timer because I didn't want the oven to automatically shut off, but then I'd hit cancel to stop the timer from beeping and that turned everything off anyway.

This post was edited by patriceny on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 9:12

o

You guys are making me very happy that I have a simple gas range with no automatic anything!! That really sounds like a PITA.

o

"You can also inadvertently shut off the oven if you hit "cancel" when the kitchen timer goes off. That seems to cancel out everything..... "

We've had our "new" oven for almost a year and that still trips me up now and then. Somebody didn't work very hard on their user interface!

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one, though!

o

On my GE Profile, the minute timer is labeled Kitchen Timer (and is subtitled On/Off) and the timed baking function is Cooking Time.

Setting the minute timer is matter of pressing Kitchen Timer, entering the time. Press Start to trigger it immediately, or press nothing else and it'll start after a few seconds delay.

Pressing the separate Cancel/Off button turns off the timer, and the oven, if the set time has elapsed to beeping ... which is a logical function being as one would reasonably want to turn the oven off at end of the minute timer cycle.

Otherwise, press Kitchen Timer when the time has elapsed to shut off the beeping without affecting the oven.

If the time is not elapsed, press Kitchen Timer once to pause it (as if to reset the time), then press a 2nd time to cancel the timer.

o

On my Jenn-Air wall oven, the oven does not turn off when the timer ends. However, there is a separate setting you can select to have the oven turn to "keep warm" when the time expires. My problem with the timer is that you can only hear it if you're in the kitchen---my old timer I could hear from my office. So now I either have to stay in the kitchen or take a separate timer with me to remind me to go back to the kitchen because the timer will ring shortly. Overall, though, I find the controls pretty intuitive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here