Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todathome

leaking water in refrigerator

todathome
12 years ago

Anyone have advice on our leaking kitchenaid refrigerator? We have model KSFS25F. When we try to dispense water from the door I hear water running through the filter but nothing comes from the dispenser. A few minutes later, there is a puddle on the floor. The icemaker appears to work fine. Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• blubird
    12 years ago

Check to see if your fridge has a water holding tank. I have an LG which has the tank behind one of the fruit/vegetable bins. I've had to replace 3 of them; each time they spring a leak in one of the seams. It's a plastic tank connected to tubing and is very easy to replace.

Some of the more recent fridges don't have a tank. Instead, they have a coil of tubing it its place.

You can actually check to see if you sprung a leak by having the fridge door open, push in the light buttons and then watch the tank/coil as a 2nd person tries to dispense water. You should be able to see a spray of water if you have a flashlight on the tank/coil.

You can get the tank or coil from repairclinic.com or other places.

Helene

• dadoes
    12 years ago

KSFS25F is not your full model number, should be five more characters following the F.

KitchenAid uses a coil of tubing at the lower rear inside the refrigerator section as a chilled water reservoir. Unlikely to be this tubing at fault, the leak would appear inside the refrigerator section under the drawers.

Try removing/reseating the filter if you haven't already. Could also be a problem with seals on the filter-mount housing, or a leak on the chilled water valve (there are separate solenoid valves for the water and ice functions, although the two solenoids are mounted to a one-piece body).

• todathome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HELLO DADOES!!!!

You were very kind to help me with my FP washer last year! You are correct, the full model number is KSFS25fjwho1. We just got a new filter and I will be installing it. Will follow-up with status!

• colorlady
    11 years ago

My 2 yr old KA french door refrigerator is leaking water on the floor also. It first enters the area beneath freezer drawer then out onto the floor. Anyone know the cause?

• Sonnie
    10 years ago

We had a similar problem last year with a KitchenAid French Door fridge. The problem was a frozen defrost line. The repairman increased the freezer temperature from 0 to 2 degrees. No problem with leaking on the hardwood floor since then.

• luweez
    10 years ago

Have had our LG Fridge about 7 years. 2 years ago the plastic tubing from the water dispenser sprung a leak. A little inconvenient and a relatively easy fix.

However, it's sprung a leak FIVE TIMES in total as of today.

Really? Go buy another new tube? Or coupling from what I've read?

What could be causing this??

• wallycat
    10 years ago

We had a similar problem with an LG.
    The filter needed replacing sooner than we assumed.
    I've left the filter out and the leak stopped.