Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

New Gas Range Can't Be Pushed Back To Wall

jaxo
13 years ago

I just received a new gas range and noticed it cannot be pushed back against the wall because the gas line is in the way for this range, but it was not for the old range. The gas line needs 3 inch high clearance, but the range little clearance in that spot.

I suppose gas line can be moved, but that seems like an expensive plumbing and drywall project.

Maybe there is a way to raise the range to clear the gas line plumbing? Maybe put pedestals under each leg or get a large platform? That seems like it would be easier and more economical. Is it safe to do that??

What is the best way to fix this problem?

Comments (10)

• drrust
    13 years ago

I too have purchased a double oven gas range with the arrangement of yours. I can't tell which brand that is, but you best bet is to have the gas line moved. Where does the line come in? Does it come from the floor or the wall? I have selected the Frigidaire unit and there is a small area where the gas line has to come in, but it can be either the floor or the wall. If your range can accept a floor routing than those are easier to move unless you have a finished ceiling just below your kitchen.

• antss
    13 years ago

Move the line.

Tell others to pay attention to the install specification sheet on ranges before they purchase so they don't go through this too.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was able to be made to fit without moving the line.
    I called plumber I found online that happened to just be finishing up a job less than a mile away and he came over within an hour to look at it.
    After extending the legs up so the range height was in line with the counter, all was needed was for the plumber to change the gas line handle orientation from vertical to horizontal and then the range was able to clear it and be pushed back.
    Luckily, it all worked out, but there should be a standard so ranges either have clearance on the same side or across the entire rear of the range. Then you know if one range of that size fits, any other new range of the same width would also fit.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

We don't have gas, but we have a Samsung induction and had to have the plug moved so the range could sit against the wall. The electrician was great, and it did not cost a lot of money (

• antss
    13 years ago

Glad it worked out for you.

I totally disagree with your premise that there should be a mandated standard location. Do all fridges have the same mech. hookup location? Nope. What about dishwashers? Nope. Cooktops? Nope You get the point now I'm sure.

The information for your range and others is published and available to anyone with an internet connection or a telephone, so YOU can/could have checked the specs before you purchased the range.

To suggest someone (government?) should mandate a location so you can be lazy and not have to think is crazy in my opinion.

Where was your dealer and or installer during all of this? We they so inept as to not be able to suggest the solution even if they weer not licensed to break open the gas line to complete the work?

• jaxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually, it would be quite easy to have a standard or several different options of standards and you just choose the spec you want. It should be plainly labeled on the sales floor materials and not buried in installation-specs.

When you install other things such as a door or door lock hardware, there are only a few different options of door widths, thicknesses, backsets and spacing between locks. You could do something custom, but there are common standards almost everyone uses. There is no reason there should not models of gas ranges of just a few types of connection locations plainly named in the product description.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sarcastic responses aside, it would be pretty easy to label this on the sales tags and product descriptions just like they label dimensions of width and depth, 110 or 240v etc.. and do not require each buyer to pull out a tape measure to size every unit individually, nor require them to search their website and then through installation documents to find this most basic required info.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    13 years ago

I had the same problem as gsciencechick with my induction slide-in -- the outlet box did not fit into the the recessed area in the back of the range. What a pain that was!

• jslc2
    6 years ago

raise the stove and put the valve sideways would be the easiest solution. I have the same issue and will give this a try. Other suggestions are good thinking but I need a quick and safe solution. Thanks, jaxo!