Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
still_lynnski

Induction + large single oven

still_lynnski
9 years ago

Hello friends,

I do a great deal of baking, and my simple electric oven is giving up the ghost. I'd like to replace what I have with a unit that uses induction for the stovetop, but I'm overwhelmed by the choices and combinations. I don't have a big budget or a big space. I'll be replacing a standard 30" electric range + oven with integral backsplash. I don't want two ovens--I want the biggest single oven I can get for the space I have. I definitely want the largest heating/magnetic elements possible for the stovetop, as I tend to cook in large pots and large quantities. I know that some of my pots will work and others will not, but my cooking style is likely to remain the same--bigger is better and leftovers are lovely.

Is there somewhere I can find a spreadsheet of different configurations for the size of induction hobs and their associated ovens?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

Seems like somebody, somewhere might have a spreadsheet of comparisons but I have not found it If you have access to the online Consumer Reports site, you might find something like it there, but the selection is not comprehensive. :>(

To build your own spreadsheet, you might try a site like AJ Madison which has a fairly comprehensive collection of induction models with links to manuals and pretty extensive specs pages. Most of these sites have a "compare" function which might (or might not) be useful.

Not sure what your budget is, but freestanding induction ranges (as opposed to the more expensive slide-in models) currently seem to be priced from $1300 to $1900 -- randomly lower for holiday sales and other specials.

Large burners? On freestanding induction ranges, you usually get only two -- a 10" or 11" and an 8" -- it is pretty hard to combine more larger burners in the space for a freestanding stovetop.

The exception seems to be the GE PHB920 which has one 11", two 8", and one 6" elements. It has a pretty big oven, 5.3 cu. ft., and is one of the few ranges with a full-240v third (convection) element in the oven. (The element is rated for 2000 watts -- most ranges' third elements are rated at only 300 watts or so.) List price is $2200 but street price is around $1700 - 1800.

The Samsung NE597NOPBSR has an 11" burner, a bridgeable set of twin burners (often listed as 9" burners but I think (from a demo I saw) that the elements are actually 7" in diameter. The oven is listed at 5.9 cu. ft. The less expensive NE595NOPBSR has an 11" element, a 9" element, and two 7" elements. These are often heavily discounted during holidays.

The Kenmore Elite 95073 (made by Frigidaire/Electrolux with a slightly different burner arrangement than the Frigidaire branded models) seems to be selling for about $1700. It claims to have a 6.1 cu. ft. oven. It has a 10", an 8", a 6" and a 5" element. For a little more money, you can get the Electrolux EI30IF40LS which ditches the knob burner controls for electronic touchpads and combines the 10" and 5" burners with a pair of 7" burners.

There are other choices, but, AFAIK, the ovens tend to be smaller in size.

• dan1888
    9 years ago

The Electrolux EI30IF40LS looks like it has a fifth warming element and allows bridging of the two 7" elements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture on pg 10

• still_lynnski
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for your comments. They are very helpful.