Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hildebrau

Jenn-Air vs Bosch Induction cooktop

hildebrau
11 years ago

I'm trying to find information on the Jenn-Air JIC4430XS induction cooktop.. I was pretty much sold on the Bosch 800 Series NIT8065UC cooktop; but then one sales guy mentioned the Jenn-Air when I suddenly found out their floor model of the Bosch was suddenly unavailable.

I do like the bridged section.. I'm not sure how the controls work on this Jenn-Air; but it sounds like there is a slider for the temp setting.. I was told by one sales person that a 5 inch pot on the 7 inch hob would be detected without issue.. that is definitely a concern of mine, as I have several 5ish inch pots..

One place mentions that the hardware inside may actually be made by Bosch.. But another place says Whirlpool. I wonder which is actually true. TheInductionSite.com was the one that said it both ways on different pages. Though, the Bosch backing was "rumored"..

Any advice out there? Does anyone have the Jenn-Air JIC4430XS? Even the TheInductionSite.com doesn't list that particular part number.. perhaps it is too new. It looks different than the Jenn Air they do list.

One place is offering it for $1799 minus a $200 mail in install rebate right now.. that doesn't sound too unreasonable.. certainly cheaper than a Bosch 800 Series.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jenn-Air JIC4430XS

Comments (13)

• hildebrau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

An appliance store I called mentioned that the Jenn air would drop power from other hobs when I boost on one or two. But the Bosch wouldn't.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

You can find the Bosch user manual on the AJ Madison site.

According to page 22 of the Bosch manual, you must have the other hob in the same zone OFF to use boost (two zones, left 2 hobs and right 2 hobs). If you have the burner on, and try to boost its partner, it will flash "b" then go back to "9".

The manual doesn't seem to say anything about power sharing when not in boost (you should read up so that you understand what power sharing is -- see theinductionsite.com)

As Gary said, it is best to peruse the manuals (user, installation, etc) for yourself.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

I would not get too "Hung up" on the boost function,
    (for any induction cooktop). The dern things are so fast at boiling water even without boost, that it's been quite a while since I've used boost on mine.

I don't stir fry or Wok, but I suspect those that do, dont even use boost,
    (except for preheat?).
    It would probably "Cremate the pan" if one left it on for very long.
    Perhaps those that do stir fry and or Wok) can "enlighten us"?

Nice work attofarad, She might have bought the Bosch based upon the saleman's erroneous information!

But, then again, That's why we are here,
    Just the Facts Mam, Just the Facts!!

Gary

• mnnie
    11 years ago

For the record, the Jennair power boost works the same way - you can only use the boost feature when the other burner in that zone is off.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

"For the record, the Jennair power boost works the same way - you can only use the boost feature when the other burner in that zone is off."

After reading the Operator's Manual for the Jenn-Air, several times paying particular attention to anything in said manual about "boost", I did not read anywhere, where the manual says it will turn off a burner that is in the same zone, if the other burner in that zone is set to "Boost". In Fact it does not even say that it reduces the power in the other hob in the same zone, if boost is used in that shared zone, (which is common for many induction cooktops (IE) the power is Reduced, but not turned off on the hob that is sharing the same zone as the "boosted hob".
    Bosch is one of the few that actually turns a hob off when another is boosted.

The Jenn-Air manual only states that 2 hobs can not be boosted at the same time, and it will display an "Error msg"
    if you try to do that.

Where did you get the "For the Record" info deb_hi, do you have the Jenn-Air cooktop?--I sure can't find it---Thanks

Gary

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

@hildebrau: Bosch 800 Series NIT8065UC is almost identical to the 500 series NIT5665UC. One difference i am aware is that with the 800 series the controls are part of the metal bezel whereas with the 500 they are on the ceramic glass, auto chef temperature gimmick (need auto chef pots for it to work) and .

I went with the 500 series and one of the MAJOR reasons was that it has hob timers i.e if you want to boil rice you can set it, leave and it will be done. Also it has 17 temperature settings.. which i find very useful as i don't use double boilers anymore.

• NovatoJohn
    10 years ago

I have a jenn-air induction cootop, and I would swap it for a gas range in a heartbeat. It is fairly quick to heat up and is easy to clean. The timers do turn off the gas when the timer is done.
    Every setting above 5 (1-10) buzzes intermitently. The pulsing is loud when frying. You can feel the buzz if your hand is on the glass. It turns off almost at once if you lift a pan off the glass to shake it or add water etc. and sometimes simply turns itself off for no reason. It does have bridges between plates which work well. It beeps if you have a pan on the glass with the unit off, which is really annoying.
    Turning the pan back on takes two presses and a slide. What I find most difficult is getting accurate settings as I could with a gas range. I feel only partially in control.

• shalieanna
    8 years ago

Warning, don't buy Jenn-Air. Here is my review...

When I first overpaid for this unit I tried to use the 'so called' bridge element that sales person told me would heat up across the two smaller elements into one larger element by connecting the two elements with a bridge. My understanding was that the centre part between the 2 smaller elements would also heat up to make for even grilling. but this is not the case. The elements only heat up at the same time and at the same temperature. which is kinda useless to me since I like to use a rectangle wrought iron pan to grill sandwiches and specifically bought this unit having being told that they connected in the centre to create even heat. Then...

12 inch centre element:

the centre element doesn't heat up as fast as it should and is temperamental. One day it didn't even turn on and I had to use one of the smaller elements to cook my dinner. the day before that it cooked for short periods and would cut-out so I never really reached the temperature I need to get a fried coating. The smaller elements heat much faster than the centre element which I thought was the more powerful element. Also when boiling water the element only heated in the very centre and did cover the entire circumference of the 12 inch pot (which I checked was flat to the cooking surface). The Jenn-Air repair people sent out a repairman to fix it and he only made it worse. He came several times (the first couple of times they told me that there was nothing wrong with the unit) before they eventually agreed that I had a faulty unit and replaced it. This took 6 months.

My new unit works a little bit better, but I still cannot use my centre 12 inch element. I even bought a special induction disc to see if I could start to use the element but again it works for a while and then starts to cycle on and off. So you cannot get a continuous heat in order to cook a meal to completion. I know it's not my pans, as I tried many different ones and the same thing keeps happening on the centre element and not to outer smaller ones.

One more thing, the store where I purchased the cooktop agreed to replace the unit with another brand, but unfortunately for me the Jenn-air cooktop requires a smaller opening in the countertop (which I had made to fit) than ALL the other brands. So even thought I could have changed my cooktop, I couldn't because I would have had to cut my countertop to make room for another brand.

If I had my time again, I would never buy Jenn-air.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your problems. This does sound strange if they have replaced the unit. Did you get your electrical confirmed to make sure you had enough power to run the unit? Since you are stuck with the unit, I would reach out to Jenn Air for warranty service. It should at least be a functioning unit.

Good luck!

• hildebrau
    Original Author
    8 years ago

First thing that came to me was perhaps it is over heating. Is there another heat source near it? Make sure the gauge wire is sufficient for the max amp draw, too.

• shalieanna
    8 years ago

the cooktop is on the island all by itself (no other heat source). I am certain that the electrical source is spot-on because that was something I looked at when the issue first presented itself. According to the manual spec's it's exactly as it should be. but this does raise a good point - one that I am going to double check just to be sure. thanks...

• jquigley3
    8 years ago

I really wanted the Bosch Benchmark 36" Induction Cooktop but not having a dealer in my area and reading some very bad reviews about Bosch Service Center I may have to re-think the Jennair 36" Induction Cooktop. I would appreciate any advice and/or reviews of either please.