Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim45z10

Stove top cleanliness

tim45z10
14 years ago

I purchased a stove that has a black top. It seems it is a lot more difficult to keep it clean than my previous white one. Anybody else?

Thank you for your input.

Comments (13)

• pdbetty
    14 years ago

I, too, would love to hear feedback on this one since I have the black ceramic glass cooktop...anyone????

• mrsr
    14 years ago

Yuk...labor of love the rest of your life. The quest to be trendy has made our lives miserable. I have stainless, and that equally stinks. Oh, but I am in style and cool, like my neighbors. Call me a loser, I had a enamel baked finish on my prior range that always looked spotless with little clean up.

• dannie
    14 years ago

Do you have induction or the regular elements under glass? Induction cleans up easily with a bit of dishsoap and a microfiber cloth. The regular ceran glass cooktops need glass cooktop cleaner and a razor as well as some elbow grease. Finish up with a microfiber cloth. I had a regular glass cooktop for 18 years and it looked like new after all that time, however, I am really enjoying the easy clean up of the induction since nothing burns or cooks onto the glass.

• tim45z10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I may not have spoken correctly. It is not glass. I believe it is baked enamel. The same as before, only black.

• mydreamhome
    14 years ago

Have a black range for the first time and have the same problem. It never looks clean even though I scrub and wipe down and scrub and wipe down and scrub...well you get the picture. Thankfully, it came with the apartment and it will stay in the apartment when our house is ready. We had a coil range with a white top and then a black glass top with white/grey dots with the burners underneath on our Maytag Gemini. Loved that Gemini. So easy to clean and stayed looking clean. Loved being able to use the razor too--stuck on spills were gone 1-2-3. Those were the days!

• castironcook2
    14 years ago

Sure do love my BlueStar cooktop. As easy to keep clean as my well-seasoned cast iron pans.

• meangoose
    14 years ago

I have a not-fancy black Maytag range. It took me a while to figure out how to clean it. What works for me is to scrub it all down with some 409, wipe off the 409 with a damp rag, and then, while it's still damp, dry/buff it with a dry microfiber cloth. I use the microfiber cloths they sell in the automotive section of Target - not as "pretty" as the ones in the cleaning aisle, but less than half price, and I don't care if my cleaning cloths are pretty. This helps to get it clean and remove streaks that always look like a smear of grease is still there.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

We have a Wolf AG range with the removable black enamel burner pans. For light cleaning (dust, small grease splatters) I use Perfect Kitchen from BB&B, which was recommended by people at the Wolf/SZ showroom. I spray it directly on the range and wipe off with a paper towel (seems to work better than microfiber for this)--for spot cleaning you can just spray a little on the paper towel itself and then wipe the spot(s). If I need to, I can usually buff off any small smudges with a dry microfiber. I tried it on my granite when I got, and it works great on that, too! For the granite I use it with a microfiber.

For a more thorough cleaning, I remove the pans themselves and clean them in the sink. For regular grime/grease, I clean the pans with BKF and a little dish soap (I use regular Palmolive). After rinsing (with hot water generally), I dry with a dishtowel (mine are the Ritz Wonder Towels--lint free). They come out great. I hold them by the edges or use the remover hook-thingie to pop them back on the range to avoid finger smudging my now-clean pans (!) .

For baked on grease, or really encrusted food stuff, I'll spray the pans with Dawn Power Dissolver, let sit for a bit, and then clean (with a blue scrub sponge). The Power Dissolver's great on pyrex baking dishes, too. Just watch out for drips on hardwood floors--I think it (and/or Easy Off) eats through the finish/polyurethane.

One trick I've used: if I've just cleaned the top (or it's pretty clean), and I know whatever I'm cooking might splatter, I'll lay some sheets of alum foil over the unused burners/sections of the range top before cooking. Then, I can just crumple up the splattered foil, and avoid the need to clean the top of the range for awhile!

• brunosonio
    14 years ago

Well, trendy or not, black seems to be harder to keep clean, mainly because it more readily shows grease, streaks, and splatters.

We have a Wolf rangetop with the removable black pan inserts. Some grease has baked on permanently, nothing seems to remove those splatters, even oven cleaners. After 3 years, I've given up trying to have a "clean" stovetop, and remove the pans about every other week to clean them. That's what I love about the Wolf...I take them off, put them in the single sink we have, spray them with blue Windex, let them sit for 5 minutes, then use regular Dawn and a soft scrub sponge. If I need extra help, I'll use Barkeeper's Friend, which gets most of the baked on stuff without leaving any scratches. I rinse, then dry off with a clean cotton cloth.

Half the year I have to be in another town for work, and rent a corporate apartment. They've put in the regular black enamel GE electric stoves, the cheap/mid level stuff you can get at the big box stores. Keeping that thing clean is a huge chore...no matter how much Windex or soap I use, there are always streaks. I'll have to try the suggestion of a previous poster about using the microfiber cloths...I have a pile of them for my car.

The advantage of my Wolf is that I can buy new pans eventually and have a new looking stove all over again. I certainly cannot buy a complete new top for the GE.

However...in another rental house we own, we put in a white GE. We lived there for a while ourselves, and that white enamel I could keep clean very easily (or at least make it look clean...)

• rnest44
    14 years ago

cat_mom, thanks for this excellent set of instructions. Our DF Wolf is going to be delivered soon and I knew cleaning the cooktop would be a bit of a challenge when we decided to purchase it. Although the cooktops are different you listed excellent cleaning products and towels to try as well as when and how to use each of them. I appreciate your alum foil advise and your wood floor caution. Clipping the post.

• bevbran
    14 years ago

May I also suggest "Cerama Bryte." It's my favorite of the ceramic cooktop cleaners. We got it at Lowe's but I'm sure it's available in many stores. My best advice on the black cooktop is to keep up with it on a daily basis. The DO look fabulous when they're clean, don't they? :-)

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Glad to be of help! :-)

• yellowmustanggirl
    14 years ago

Hi, I recently purchased a Frigidaire enamel stove with a black top that collects dust like you wouldn't believe. The sides and front are silver, no problem. I also have a black microwave and a black dishwasher and no problem there. I was wondering if some type of wax wouldn't work to keep the dust from collecting. And yes, I use my stove everyday!!!