Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bazingagirl

New Kitchen Appliance Recommendations Needed!

bazingagirl
9 years ago

I'm doing a complete reno of my kitchen and am looking for appliance brand recommendations. I will need a 30" wall double oven (electric - does not need to be convection), a 36" gas cooktop (prefer 6 burner and am looking at "pro series" type), a 42" or 48" counter depth refrigerator, dishwasher (MUST be quiet), and an under counter drawer-type microwave. I've done some research but would love to hear first hand opinions - good and bad. I'm not afraid to shell out $$ if it's worth it for the quality but I'm not interested in spending money just for a name. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• wekick
    9 years ago

Do you have a budget? What sort of things do you cook and for how many?

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Well that's a tough one to answer. Too many options. I suggest you find a few dealers and do some scouting to see what you like. Is this just a show kitchen or are you gonna actually going to use the stuff. Also keep in mind if you are in a neighborhood with houses of substantial value sometimes it's the names that matter when you go to resell. Do some foot work and report back. After that I will be happy to help.
    Everyone has their own opinions on what they like I know what I like but I don't know how you intend on using the stuff. Value is in the eye of the buyer. There is no one brand that does everything great either.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

All I'll say is that all the microwave drawers are all made by Sharp, and if you buy one from anyone but Sharp you're paying for the look and the name.

Dishwasher... Bosch and Miele are the forum favorites, and together those brands cover a wide range of budgets.

Other than that... I agree with the above. Your post is way too vague for answers at this point. There is no one "best" appliance in each category. The best appliances for you are going to depend on how you use them and how much you're willing to pay.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Tue, Dec 30, 14 at 17:31

• bazingagirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses! There were lots of questions so I'll explain a bit more. First of all, I use my kitchen. I'm not a gourmet and don't do huge parties but I'm in there everyday and it's not unusual for me to cook for up to 8 on just an hour or two notice (mostly family). Budget-wise, I'd like to keep the appliance cost to around $15K - $20K total. For the microwave drawer, the response from hvtech42 is consistent with what I've found from dealers so I appreciate the validation. My contractor and local vendor have pushed me toward kitchenaid on the other appliances, but I'm not finding many good reviews for the products so am looking for a better alternative without breaking the bank. I currently have 30" wall double ovens (Whirlpool) and have never had a problem. The kitchenaid models I've researched for my reno have many negative reviews for noise and for problems with the self clean cycle. Any suggestions on a more reliable and quiet unit? I'm not opposed to convection ovens, I just don't think I'd use them. Next, the cooktop. I love gas and want to upgrade my basic cooktop to a 36" six burner pro series. I want the options for the power burners and good heat control for simmering, and love the industrial look. I want something easy to clean so I think the sealed units are what I'm interested in. Again, I have done a little research online and not found a clear winner. Any suggestions? I will admit that I haven't done my homework yet on the dishwasher other than knowing I want it to be QUIET so probably something around 40 db. If I recall, the Bosch tend to be small so I'm not sure that will work for me (I use it a lot!). I want a regular full size and not the smaller two drawer type. Lastly, the refrigerator. I am planning on a 42 or 48" counter depth model. The counter depth ones really are MUCH smaller CF-wise than one would think. In order to even get close to the volume I have now (I don't currently have a counter depth model) I'll need to go with the 48. I'm still trying to decide if I like the side my side or french door better, but I'd like to decide on the brand based on reliability, then pick the most appropriate style/size for my needs. I really appreciate any and all input! The last thing I want to do is spend all this $$ and have problems using my new kitchen.

• malba2366
    9 years ago

36 inch pro range - Look at Wolf, Capital Culinarian and Blustar. All 3 have a lot of fans on here. Wolf has sealed burners, capital and Bluster have open burners. Do research the differences to see what suits you better.

Wall ovens - A lot of people here swear by the Electrolux Icon wall ovens which are significantly less costly than Wolf and Miele but maintain much of the features and build quality.

Dishwasher - Go with Bosch or Miele

Fridge - If you want a 42 or 48 inch you will be spending $$$ for them. KA/Jenn Air, Thermador (rebadged Kitchenaid in the 42 and 48 inch) and Sub Zero are the brands that come to mind. For the 42/48 inch I would definitely go with SZ as the others do not have dual compressors or evaporators which makes a big difference in food preservation. If the budget is stretched Thermador has a good promotion where you will get a free dishwasher and range hood if you buy range and fridge...something to consider if you like the Thermador product

With the Sub Zero you are probably looking at a bit over 20K for the whole package depending on the range you select

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

We have a Lacanche which is a gorgeous, high quality, and high functioning range IMHO. I first learned about them on this forum. You can see them at www.frenchranges.com. They are reviewed very favorably here on gardenweb. Search for Lacanche threads. They are a bit more European in style, size and design so it depends on what you are after. They are made in France. We got the Lacanche Volnay and a Gaggenau Combi Steam oven and are very happy with our choices.

We have a ~10 year old Bosch DW and it's been great. If it's over filled then it doesn't clean as well. It's an entry level model. Our GE Profile fridge is a POS and we are waiting for it to die to replace it so don't have any recs there.

• malba2366
    9 years ago

If you don't need the 42 or 48 inch fridges there are lots of avenues to save money. I think the Liebherr freestanding 36 inch french door models (they are technically freestanding but can be made to look built in) offer a good value proposition with very good build quality and features at around $6000 rather than the $10000 or so that Sub Zero will run you.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

another vote for Liebherr....have it and love it and less $$ than sub-zero.

DW, miele

• lee676
    9 years ago

Oven - either the Electrolux, Electrolux Icon, or the new Bosch ovens with the convenient side-hinged doors.

Dishwasher - the 800+ models that are rated at 40db and are US-built. These have larger interiors with racks that are a bit deeper front to back than older Bosch machines, and current top of the line Bosch models with 38 or 39db sound levels that are made in Germany and sized smaller to fit flush in European cabinetry. All Miele and Asko dishwashers also have that shallower dimension which cuts into interior space, but the higher-end models front both of those brands have great, very flexible rack designs.

Haven't shopped for built-in fridges or gas cooktops so don't know those well.