Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Cleaning an induction cooktop

sjhockeyfan325
10 years ago

We just put ours "into service" last weekend. Windex and a microfiber cloth works great, however, I see that Bosch explicitly states not to use an ammonia-based product. Do those of you who DO use Windex on your induction cooktop just ignore that advice, or do you use a non-ammonia based version?

Comments (24)

• jakvis
    10 years ago

When a manufacturer states not to use a substance on their product it usually means that they found that when they tested the substance it had detrimental effects.

I would use a non amonia cleaner

• julieboulangerie
    10 years ago

I use the Windex Multi-surface with vinegar (ammonia free) for daily cleaning, and the Weiman ceramic cooktop cleaner about once a week.

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

julieboulangerie: "I use the Windex Multi-surface with vinegar (ammonia free) for daily cleaning, and the Weiman ceramic cooktop cleaner about once a week."

Except that we practice somewhat longer intervals for the Weiman's, that is exactly the routine and the products that we have been using on our induction cooktop (and its induction cooktop predecessor) for 14 years now. Other than dittoing "me too" I thus can add that it is an excellent long-term cleaning regimen.

• cj47
    10 years ago

If the cooktop is greasy, or especially dirty, I do the full soap and water/rinse treatment. Otherise I spritz with the Windex all purpose cleaner with vinegar, no ammonia, wipe with a microfiber. I do the ceramabryte treatment once every few months to really polish it up. I've had it three years and it looks great.

Beware of salt on the cooktop, and make sure you remove it before cleaning or polishing. Salt can scratch.

• sprtphntc7a
    10 years ago

i use the weiman's cooktop cleaner when really dirty and for everyday, little messes, just soap and water and then wipe dry with "ecloth"...
    these can be hard to find in stores, got mine in Home Goods about 2 years ago and haven't seen since, but u can order on amazon....

i have the ecloth kitchen cloth which comes with a polishing cloth, works great!!!!!
    also have ecloth for windows and the granite cloth.
    these just use water and they really do work. nice not using any chemicals and saves $$$
    granite ecloth has been impossible for me to find/buy. thought i found an online retailer, ordered it, and then received an email that they no longer carry it :(
    seems u can only get it from england, at least that's what i found....

great advice from cj47 about the salt!!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Windex multi-surface with vinegar it is (and I'll get some of that ceramic cooktop cleaner too). Soap and water don't seem to work as well for me as it seems to for some others - streaks more.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

I use Sparkle, the purple non ammonia stuff.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Beware using the vinegar version with some countertops. like marble, etc. It will etch them. It's fine for the glass, but the overspray isn't fine for some stones.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hollysprings, we're using Ceasarstone - is vinegar a problem?

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - or worse, like I'm affiliated with the company - I highly recommend giving Whink cooktop cleaner a try. I find it vastly superior to the other two brands mentioned in this thread.

In between, I use Windex Multisurface all over the kitchen, including the cooktop. They say it's safe to use and I haven't experienced issues otherwise.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

food, I've never heard of Whink. Do you get it at the supermarket? And do you use Windex multi-surface with or without vinegar (I'm wondering about the scent of the version with vinegar).

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

SJ - My supermarket stopped carrying it a few years ago in favor of Weiman, and I hadn't thought to order it until recently. If you're an amazon prime member you can get it with free shipping. I recently posted about that, with pics, see link below. I promise I didn't exaggerate at all, and I'm only posting this because I find there's a clear advantage, not just perceived.

As for the Windex, I use the yellow anti microbial. No vinegar. I've also used the yellow Lysol kitchen cleaner, probably pretty much the same stuff but I've not researched to be sure it has no ammonia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent thread

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - it's okay, I didn't think you were shilling for Whink!

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

I use Clorox GreenWorks all-purpose on our induction cooktop. Sometimes I will use dish soap, sometimes vinegar & water.

The real trick is making sure the dish cloth is clean. If it has some residual gunk or grease on it, the cooktop will not clean up bright and shiny. (ask me how I know ...)

@sjhockeyfan - Cesarstone is quartz like Silestone, and vinegar is fine on it. I use it all the time.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Mostly I use soap and water with WS scrubbies (they are designed for SS and smooth surfaces).
    If it is a large mess - I use ceramic cleaner. It is a paste.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

I use pure, white vinegar in a spray bottle. If I have heavy grease, Dawn on a sponge. Once I broke down and used 409 for a bacon grease mess, but I wouldn't do it regularly. For gunk, I soak it with vinegar and scrape it off with one of those little brown Pampered Chef scrapers. Dunno what they are called . . .

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Soap and water or Clorox Green Works for normal use, and then the Weiman's for heavy dirt or to make it "company clean" LOL.

• fern16
    9 years ago

The rest of the house might be a mess, but I always think I can bring someone in and let them stand and look at my induction cooktop---it ALWAYS sparkles!

Cleaning takes only a few minutes! I cut up old, soft towels to clean the top. Dampen a clean one with hot water and use a drop of Dawn or Joy; rub the cooktop with the soapy-side then flip the rag to just-the-wet side and wipe off the soap. Buff with a clean, dry towel-rag. (I have the stainless steel top and bottom edge trim--cleaning them this way is no problem either) I ONLY USE A CLEAN RAG EACH TIME for washing or drying the top!

I am concerned about scratches and thermal-shock to the glass. I have a nice, thick, silicone trivet/potholder on a corner of the cooktop. It's a great landing place to move hot pots and pans to or to place pans, safely, from the oven.

I have used paper towels under pots. They can get scorched. And the one kind seemed to leave a trace of its waffle-pattern that I had to buff out with the cook-top crème. I now just try to use a bigger pot for things prone to bubbling over -- oil, oatmeal, etc. If something does bubble-over I have been known to surround the pot with a ring of paper towels and finish cooking!

For those tough grease residue spots that you occasionally get from deep-fat fryers or cast iron pots I use a NEW, single-edged razor blade (as per my induction manual) to gently shave them off. Then buff.

And I had to learn NOT TO shake pans!

(Love my Induction-- user for 8+ years)

• emeralds_1959
    8 years ago

I just got my induction and one of my concerns is keeping the top clean especially after frying foods. I love to fry bacon, fish, chicken and etc., do I wipe continuously as I did with my gas stove to keep it clean to a minimum until I'm completely finished cooking? So far the soap and water works excellent, but that process is after I'm finished cooking. I love Windex but I know it's a no no with this particular stove. However, I need a solution for grease splatter. Something that will work quick and efficient while I'm cooking. Any suggestions?

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We do not wipe as we go, ever (I cook, DH cleans, and he's not "allowed" to clean the cooktop while I'm cooking!). When we're done with dinner, we spray the top with Windex all-purpose with vinegar (not ammonia) and wipe it up with a paper towel or microfiber cloth. Other people use a little Dawn and water. Once in awhile, we use Ceramabryte cooktop cleaner, but definitely no more often than once a month.

• weedmeister
    8 years ago

Grease splatters? Put down paper towels before starting. Or newsprint. When finished toss the paper out.

• 59 Dodge
    8 years ago

"Put down paper towels before starting. Or newsprint. When finished toss the paper out"

Yep that's what we do, however do not leave the cooktop unattended, even for a moment when doing this, and I would not do that for stir frying or woking, as You "Might" exceed the flash point of the paper which I believe is about 550 F? Also don't do this with a boiling pot left unattended, if said pot runs dry, once again 550 F could be exceeded and there goes the paper, "up in a flash"!!!!

Gary

• Cavimum
    8 years ago

emeralds_1959 - I don't know why Windex is a "no-no" on your stove, but I'll take your word for it. I use anything and everything to clean our induction cooktop. I clean up the cooktop after the meal is over, when I'm cleaning up pots, pans, DW, etc. . Wipes clean ever so easily.