Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeboldt

Lacanche Ranges part 38

joeboldt
16 years ago

Might as well start the next set of threads. I can't believe there are so many messages about this little stove!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacanche Ranges part 37

Comments (150)

• dianepatterson
    15 years ago

Okay, I've been reading through all of these fantastic threads -- Must. Have. Lacanche. Now. -- and I'm trying to decide on my configuration. Do I want a Traditional or Classique top? How do I use the FT? (I guess with a Cluny +1 I could have both the open burner and an FT...) Which burners do I use the griddle/grill on? And if I griddle a whole bunch of bacon, what happens to the grease?

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone! My Cluny was installed just today--no countertops or plumbing in the kitchen yet so I didn't cook a real meal but I couldn't resist just a little something. I decided on pasta with marinara made with ground turkey. First of all, what a delight to be able to once again cook with gas--it's been over 4 years. And then the power of those burners. I actually was able to brown the turkey instead of stewing it. It's so hard to describe the difference... the heat was high enough to brown the meat but didn't scorch the onions & garlic. Oh, and to have a real range hood. I didn't realize the hood would draw off the extra heat as well. I was shocked the big pot of water came to a boil before I was done browning the meat. Tomorrow I'm going to the asian store to see if I can buy a wok. I can't wait to try a stir fry! Counters and backsplash should be installed next week so look for pics then!

Diane--I can't answer your questions about the french top because I ultimately chose the Classique top which comes with a portable simmer plate. I have to smile at your questions though, remembering my own similar questions here. I know there are videos about FTs on the web. Wolf used to have one. I've seen several. Good luck in your decision making process!

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

Well I'm back from Italy and what a trip! The house will take even more time to complete and I am more than a little frustrated, but... We went to Trani to visit my vougeot and for the first time I saw a Lacanche. To those that have just tuned in, I am also one of those 'sight unseen' purchasers.
    The distributor could not have been nicer. They un-packed it for me to see and then gave me a tour of their unbelievable furniture factory. I have the utmost respect for Italian workmanship.

Let me say that there is no way to describe the beauty of any of the colors and photos just cannot capture the depth and nuances. The color chart was fantastic and you could not choose a boring color. When I saw my marron glace range I got such a feeling of satisfaction.

In puglia, things are not fussy. Scrolled woodwork, intricate draw pulls and lots of cabinets would spoil the laid-back atmosphere. When the kitchen comes together, I think that I will have created the relaxed but purposeful feeling I want. The lacanche will star in this role. It is a most amazing thing how it can work beautifully in so many different venues.
    Her is the range and its new home

{{gwi:1492000}}

{{gwi:1492001}}

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I want to see finished pics!!!! MY goodness what a fabulous space :o)

• sawmill
    15 years ago

Chef-Marty,

Love, love, love your space. The marron glace range is absolutely stunning. We saw mg ranges at the factory and immediately fell in love. You are right - pictures do not do the colors justice - they are simply yummy. Congratulations - construction is frustrating, but it will all be worth the wait when you are done.

Anna Lee

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Chef-Marty, that is one beautiful range! And your space is amazing. It's one of the kitchens I can't wait to see finished. Ours arrives in September and your pic was just what I needed to tide me over :)

• metalmorphing
    15 years ago

Here is a link that might be useful: heres a range hood

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

Thank you for the support everyone!

It has been a long wait and it isn't over yet. As soon as I have pics, I'll share them.

Marty

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Marty: beaufiful!

Our delivery is due in 2-3 weeks so we're counting down. I was struck by how much lighter the picture of your Marron Glace was than the pic on the Are Culinaire website. Did you find that the color matched the actual sample chip, assuming you got one before ordering? I'm more curious than anything as we're obviously locked into our Frangiapane, but I wonder if I'll be surprised when we uncrate.

And OMG, that's a range alcove!!!

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

No I didn't even have a color sample. It was a complete leap of faith. The flash did lighten the color. In the showroom, marron glace looked sometimes redder, sometimes more grey. The colors dance a bit as a quality finish should. The depth of the enamel and sheen were extrodinary. I would not worry about the frangiapane. The marron glace looked just like the sample in the showroom.

That picture might be decieving. Here is another picture of the house. This time it is from the living room looking at the kitchen. The ceilings are over 14' tall and that back alcove wall is over 12' long. I'm calling it my cathedral to cooking.

Marty

{{gwi:1492005}}

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

geez Marty! That's a spectacular space! The pics of my new kitchen are going to look dowdy compared to yours. Anyway, after several years of waiting (with a move in the middle of it all) here's my almost finished kitchen! I still have to clear-coat the woodwork and we're waiting on some pull-outs. Need some decorative stuff too.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen reno

• clinresga
    15 years ago

jaedwards:
    Not dowdy-beautiful! Of course I love the range, but we think alike as we also are doing marble counters and I love yours. Also think the wall mount faucet over the prep sink is very cool. And, given the nice greenery outside, opening up the new windows was a great option. Who did the refinishing on the antique hutch--that came out great as well.

Anyway, congrats and look forward to your posts as you cook on the Lacanche.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Far from dowdy, your kitchen turned out great and makes a beautiful space for your blue Cluny. Thanks for sharing, it makes the wait easier!

• mfiligenzi
    15 years ago

Another "sight unseen" buyer here. Our red Volnay arrives on Monday. Gets installed Tuesday. Very much looking forward to this!

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! I found that hutch at a yard sale when we lived in Illinois. They had found it in a barn in Wisconsin. It is thought to be pre-civil war because parts of it have square nails and pegs. I stripped and refinished it myself. I also did the kitchen paint and stained the woodwork.

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

Congratulations to all! The Lacanche magic is wonderful and it is great to share it with this group.

Marty

• njhg
    15 years ago

how does one join this group? I bought my Cluny a year ago, influenced by this forum.Purchased early, so it was safe from elimination due to budget constraints, it has languished in my garage during a whole house reno., and has only just been installed :)! Here is the problem (of course there would be a problem, why should this go any easier than anything else in this job!?!). After my beautiful concrete countertops were poured, and my range moved into place, I was thrilled. I basked in the joy of seeing how everything lined up perfectly, no easy feat when planning an unfitted kitchen.This doesn't sound like a problem, you say? Well, it wasn't, until I spotted a strip of metal shoved behind the Biedermeier console meant to be my baking station, left of the range. When I asked my contractor about it, he said thatwhen he installed the range it "was a piece that didn't fit"!!!! Honest! As if we were discussing a model airplane! I now know that it was the heat shield, which belongs between the range and the wall. Now, if you have managed to stay with me for all of this, I bet you can see where I am going. That's right - after the heat shield was put in place, my beautiful Cluny was 2" out of line. Given that it is on an exterior wall, which is brick and the backsplash is porcelain tile, is this guard absolutely necessary? Now you are all kitchenphiles, like I am; wouldn't you consider design paramount? Who would consider ruining ther concept, merely for threat of fire!!? Joking of course, but I do really wonder if anyone had any info about how nec. the guard is, I would appreciate any advice - nora

• jedwards601
    15 years ago

Is there anyone in the Austin/San Marcos, Texas or Corpus Christi, TX area with a Lacanche that would be willing to let me take a peek? Please? thanks!

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

Hi njhg,

Since I don't have my range installed yet, I am not an expert but I do believe that the range should come out farther than the cabinets. Look up the installation stuff at frenchranges. I'll put in the link.

Marty

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: cluny specs

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

njhg, call art culinaire and ask them what you should do. You can pay extra (around $180.00) for an island spacer that is not the one that comes automatically with the range that may work better for you. Fire is just too serious to take any chances on. Since brick is behind your wall, this may be your answer, but call to make sure. Here is the link for the island spacer.

http://www.frenchranges.com/your_accessories.shtml

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

jedwards601, Call Art Culinaire at frenchranges.com and ask them if there is an ambassador in your area who will show you there range. I did that and it made my decision for me.

• jedwards601
    15 years ago

Thanks pluckymama; I did call AC and they are trying someone in Austin, but so far no luck. Thanks.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

I don't think the island spacer will solve njhg's problem. We ordered one for our Cluny 1400 as DW absolutely refused to have the standard backspacer showing and blocking her backsplash. The island spacer does not rise up higher than the back of the range. It will still push the range away from the wall by 1 7/8'' though.

I am doubtful njhg will be able to push the range flush against the wall, even if it is brick. To quote the website, "It is MANDATORY to mount the back spacer vent supplied with the appliance (or equivalent) to the wall, this allows
    for ventilation and reduces the risk of head damage." So not only is there a fire issue, but it sounds like the range really needs some airflow behind it to prevent overheating.

And I think chef marty is correct: the Cluny install specs call for a 660 mm distance from wall to edge of cabinetry, while the depth of the range including back spacer is 727 mm to the front of the oven doors. This would give an overhang of 67 mm, or just over 2 1/2''.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

clinresga, we ordered the island spacer as well. When you are working with that many BTU's, it is imperative that the range is installed correctly. It's a shame Nora's contractor didn't read the instructions and now her poured concrete countertop is in. In your opinion, is it too late for Nora to use the island spacer and bring the range away from the wall or is she going to have to put the standard spacer back there?

• clinresga
    15 years ago

I think either will work, at least from a spacing standpoint, as they both appear to move the range out from the wall roughly the same distance. The island spacer is much easier to install (just some C clamps it appears) but as long as the range can be pulled out I don't see why the standard could not go in either. But, in either case, the range will still stick out 2'' or so, which I don't think is a big deal.

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

In my case, since I have a Vougeot, the range HAS to stick out or I would not be able to open the warming cabinet since it is hinged on the side and not on the bottom like the two cluny doors. I have allowed for this with the placement of the Island.

Marty

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

My understanding from reading the specs and talking to AC, is that all of the Lacanche ranges will stick out. If you look at jaedwards pics (just scroll up a bit), hers sticks out, but looks fine. I think that some people take this into consideration with their countertops and have them meet the range edge, but others do not and it still looks fine. We're getting the warming cabinet as well, and Marty makes a good point, our door would not open if it was flush with the cabinet. Nora, hope all this is helping you. We'd love to see pics as soon as you get it finished.

• terry4sams
    15 years ago

pluckymama and clinresga

I was just getting ready to call Chelsea on Monday, which I still plan on doing soon anyway when Saturday rolls around and my stove color Samples showed up! Yippie. Along with a nice new brochure and prices with Chelsea's card inside. They even called me to make sure I got it since I had left a message last week. Good service.

So I'm in love with Marron Glace and Frangipane. Very beautiful colors wow. A few new surprises though. I have to admit after adding up all my ($) options, yikes. I didn't realize they had premium colors and finishes with added charges. It figures everything I want is a premium! LOL Glad I'm ordering before another price increase, wish I had done this last year.

Oh decided to move over to this forum since it's more active. Thanks you guys for helping me! I can hardly wait to hear all about your deliveries!

Terry;-)

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Terry: ours is Frangipane and I'll post pix as soon as received. Add-ons are pricey but at least I'm not paying sales tax!

• terry4sams
    15 years ago

Agree, it feels good knowing no sales tax considering ours is so high. I can hardly wait to see your stove!

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

The good thing about premiums is that you only have to pay for them once and then they are yours forever. I end to opt for premiums if I can.

• terry4sams
    15 years ago

Hi Marty,

I agree. I decided to order what I want for finishes and be done with it. I know I'll have my stove for a long time and I don't want any regrets. My husband has gotten over the sticker shock now. LOL Thank goodness to. I have been wanting a Lacanche for so long. I had originally considered a 48" Viking in the past for our space but learned after actually owning one for 7 years hating it. When I went to price the viking recently it was going to cost even more than the Lacanche and the thought of paying good money for something that's not well made makes me sick. Finding the Lacanche is a dream come true. I'm so excited about Lacanche. I just wish since I love all the colors they offer they would make a stove with every color in it! LOL

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

I have a friend who is a famous food critic and cook book author and he tells me about another friend of his who was hired by Viking to demonstrate recipes on one of their ranges. He claims that the Viking mixers and food processors etc. were so bad that he brought in his own for the job. I've never owned a Viking anything and we do not use fancy machinery in pro kitchens so I, personally have no experience with the brand. How could Viking be that pooly designed? What keeps them in business?

Marty

• plumorchard
    15 years ago

Way off topic but to chef-marty - regarding Viking - my thoughts - excellent marketing and prime product placement keep the demand for Viking quite high. I went to the show room here for a demo and they were packed, same for the showroom at the Expo. My guess is that from a service standpoint or even repeat buyers, maybe not so great but from a new buyer standpoint, they keep them coming!

By the way - LOVE your range and your alcove! Drooling!

• ysop1016
    15 years ago

On Food TV,"Guys Big Bite," there is a Lacanche in his kitchen.

• terry4sams
    15 years ago

I thought I heard a long time ago that viking was bought out by another company? I thought they were good at one time but in any case something happened along the way. Although I do have to say, I own a Viking Garbage Disposal and just adore it and have for the last 3.5 years. Best disposer I've ever owned.

Marty, sure love your Stove and future kitchen photo's above, wow. Love that Marron Glace it's beautiful! I think that's going to be a winner for me as well. I'm absolutely adoring everyones kitchen photo's and looking forward to seeing more.

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! We are over budget and behind schedule but the ceilings came out even better than I had imagined. I dream everynight of the completed kitchen and me finishing my profiteroles filled with mascarpone and carmelized almonds grown just a few feet from the door. I can't believe it is happening!

I am glad that we had an idea of what colors we were going to use in the kitchen before I chose the color of the stove. It made marron glace the obvious choice and so it was easy. ALL of the colors are so gorgeous that to chose the color of the lacanche first would have been torture. I think I would have shut my eyes and just pointed.

Marty

• polie
    15 years ago

Anybody with a Cormatin? How did you decide between getting the electric oven or the gas one?

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

I believe the electric is the only one that has a broiler. If that's important to you, then your decision is made. If I could only have one oven, it would be electric.

Now, MY question is to the folks who've used their ovens for a while. How do you use the accessories? I realize the flat sheet is a baking sheet, but do you also use it as a drip catcher? How do you use the deeper pan that rests on the shelf other than as a broiler pan?

What oven thermometer should I get? I think both ovens are off by 50 degrees (according to the cheapo one I bought at Walmart). Is everyone just living with this quirkiness? I see on the AC website a way to calibrate the gas oven, but what about the electric?

Judy

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

You know, chef-marty, if I do not see completed photos soon, I will have to come visit you in person to check on your progress. ;>)

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

Hi Judy,

I have a pro thermometer that a repair man gave me. It is a stainless steel folding box about the size of a small box of crayons. When open, it sits on a shelf in the oven with one of those glass tubes going verticaly and some silver liquid (Do they still use mercury?) inside like the old days. It is not adjustable so it is factory tested and accurate.

Everyone should know where their restaurant supply stores are. There are times when you need (Want?) a hammered copper pan or a le cruset enameled roaster for $400 and times when you need a $20 simple aluminum saute pan that is light and conducts the heat well. They have all sorts of great things. Good knives at inexpensive prices like $40 for a 8" chef knife, sushi matts, scales, storage containers that are extremely durable, odd serving pieces like ceramic escargot shells, creme brulee cups and onion soup bowls. If you go, remember to ask for a professional discount. Owning a Lacanche qualifies you to that.

Remember when testing your oven that the heating element whether electric or gas is not adjustable. That is, it is either on or off. It cycles this way, on and then off and really gives you only an average of say 350. So you really have to measure the RANGE of the heat i.e. the upper limit when the heat turns off and the lower limit when it comes on again. Air conditioners work the same way and you can hear them cycle.

Hi kitchendetective,

It is August in Italy and you'd think that everyone has left the country because noone returns my emails or calls. Renovation and construction is always stressful and mine, 4500 miles away and in a language that I don't always understand is almost impossible to bare. Slow does not describe the process. Excruciatingly slow comes close. I promise to post things as I get them. Thanks

Marty

• sayde
    15 years ago

Hi Chef-Marty
    I found your description of the oven cycling very interesting -- i.e that the elements are simply on or off. Once you explained it, it seemed so logical. Do all electric ovens work the same way, or is the Lacanche different? Once you have re-calibrated the ovens, can you expect that they will hold at the new settings? Is there any reason to think that either the gas or the electric oven will be more stable? Sorry for all the questions -- I am on the point of making a decision whether to buy a Cluny and have been trying to understand as much as I can . . . . .Many thanks for your expertise!!!!

• clinresga
    15 years ago

sayde: I had raised the oven calibration issue a while back and Art Culinaire has said that they will send a tech out to recalibrate if it's out of specs. They say it's more of an issue in the ranges that come directly from France to the buyer (like ours) versus the ones that the receive in Seattle, as they can do a "tune up" when they get it.

And yes, all ovens, gas or electric, cycle on and off to maintain temps. There are no variable settings on the heating elements or burners.

• joeboldt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sayde:
    I have one gas and one electric oven. I find that at any given time they are within 10 degrees of the heat I set. I use a Taylor thermometer which is probably similar to what chef-marty has. I have also used external, digital probe thermometers, but they don't seem as useful - the temperature never seems correct.

Anyway, when we first got the stove we checked it every time we used the oven. We found them pretty good and more important, no big fluctuations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taylor thermometer

• ysop1016
    15 years ago

Joe,
    I have two of the Taylor thermometers like the one shown. I put them both in the same oven and they never agree! It's usually a 50 -60 degree difference.

• joeboldt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh no! I figured with all the travails I have with the digital ones, that the taylor would be right on. Now I have to start over.

Anyone know of a thermometer that actually works?

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

I spoke with Eric at AC today and he says they use the Maverick Digital Thermometer. It should arrive in a few days. My Cluny did come straight from France. Marty--I did go to the restaurant supply store last week. It's one of my usual haunts. They didn't have a thermometer like the one you suggest.

I have to say just how much we love cooking on this beautiful range! I had out-of-town guests for a long weekend and we cooked up a storm!

Here is a link that might be useful: Maverick

• velodoug
    15 years ago

I'd put the Taylor thermometers in a pot of boiling water and see what they read. I've done that with two of them and they were spot on at 212º.

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

I just did it with the thermometer I had. It read 200 (oh, how do you get the "degree" symbol to come up?). Darn thing has water in it now!

How's it going, Doug? You've had a lot of changes this summer. Hope all is well.

• velodoug
    15 years ago

It was the bulb type Taylor thermometer, not the dial type that I submerged in water.

On the Mac, the degree symbol is ALT-0 (zero).

Yes, there certainly have been a lot of changes. In the last year our extended family reduced our real estate holdings from eight properties with nine living units to four properties with four living units. DW and I were all set to move into the small house behind the mixed use building we've been in for 35 years but an astronomical offer for the little house at the last minute changed that. We'd already moved the Cormatin to the small house and the buyer specifically included it in the contract. When it looked like we might buy another NYC condo DW set her heart on a 24" BlueStar range, and that's what she chose to replace the Cormatin in the old building where we're going to stay. It's been a hectic year but we're not doing too badly for a couple of old folks.