Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Help with a Vent Hood Please

Posted by ashik (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 15:03

I have been doing much reading on here and am embarrassed to say that I don't know what I have and what I need. I currently have an under cabinet microwave hanging over a 30"BlueStar cooktop. I want to take out the micro (and place it/or smaller one elsewhere) and put in an adequate vent in its place. There is a duct in the cabinet above the micro and a "flap"?? outside which I am assuming is where it is vented through.
Soooooo - what is an internal fan? Do I need it? What is an external blower? Is that what I have?
I am hoping for a sleek minimal stainless look. I liked the London Flat from Prizer but it seems to only come in 36" and I need a 30" I also liked a Zephr Terrazo but am not sure about the hanging utensils as well as the stainless panel above the shelf - not sure if that means it has to hang lower and thus be too close to the cooktop?
I hope you can help me.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Help with a Vent Hood Please

Your Microwave/hood probably was about a 200CFM capacity. You can find all kinds of 30inch SS hoods in a 200 to 300CFM range under $200.
Typically the hood is mounted 24 to 30 inches above the cooktop.
I suggest you narrow down your search and then check the installation manual online for the suggested mounting.

RE: Help with a Vent Hood Please

The good news is that your MW was vented outside and you have a duct. You need to figure out what the diameter of the duct is - that will limit the power of the hood you get - unless you plan to replace the duct. With a Bluestar cooktop you may want a somewhat more powerful hood - 600 CFM if your ducting is at least 6". Kobe makes reasonably priced hoods that work with 6" ducts. Generally hoods are mounted 30" - 36" above the cooktop. An internal blower is one that comes included in the hood. Another option is a hood liner with an external blower mounted outside - possibly quieter but more expensive and difficult to service.

RE: Help with a Vent Hood Please

A low profile hood will have the blower/s attached in an enclosure which is recessed into the cabinet above.

The recommended venting of your appliance by the MFG, should be followed.
A 6" vent pipe will not support the volumetric efficiency required to properly vent a 600CFM blower and will shorten it's life.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here