Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
combi steam oven

Posted by endomd (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 14:21

I have a question about my new combi steam oven:

If I plan to cook with both heat and high humidity (eg 100% steam), does it make sense to preheat with both heat and steam settings, or just the heat and then turn of the steam once the food is in the oven? I always use the steam-release feature before opening the oven if it is on 100% steam so it seems maybe unnecessary to have the steam going in advance.

thanks!

Ben

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: combi steam oven

Ben, sorry, I don't have an answer. A number of us have looked in vain for a thorough instruction book on how to use a combi, and I am not sure if one exists, but if it did it would answer your question. If you are going to cook with high heat and humidity, I might preheat a few minutes, but doubt it makes much difference. If you are making bread, it might make a difference if you put the dough in a hot humid environment, but other than that, if you are cooking something that is going to take more than 10 or 15 minutes, I don't know if the temp when it hits the oven is all that critical.

o
RE: combi steam oven

If I am cooking with high heat and humidity, I pre-heat. The high heat tends to decrease the steam IMO.

If I am cooking with 100% steam and low temperature..say 220 degrees ie: steamed vegetable, I just put the food in and turn on the oven (I don't pre-heat). The steam fills the oven quickly. Why pre-heat, open the oven and lose the steam? If the oven is already hot, it's harder to get the oven to fill with steam (just my observation).

If I am using zero steam--just convection, I always pre-heat without food in the oven, but of course it doesn't take long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here