Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Chill Stove

Posted by barbara1963 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 14:18

I just had a Big Chill Jadite Green stove installed yesterday. Today when I turned the oven on, it got super smoky and I had to shut it off. It was super scary!
I did not receive a manual...contacted the company....looked online to try to find some answers, .....can anyone advise as to what the problem is? There is nothing inside the would have caused the problem, such as packing or plastic ties on the oven racks from shipping.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Chill Stove

Most new ranges will have some manufacturing oils that will need a "burn off". And you've got to double check that no packing materials remain. Some makers tape things to the top of the stove or broiler area to cushion it during transport. Get a flashlight and get on your hands and knees and inspect everything. Even a piece of left over tape from the packing will make a nasty smell.

o

Been there, done that with the Wolf - I had to quickly open the windows! Then I read the manual - oops!

o
Big Chill Stove Review - Wonderful!

Our Big Chill stove is the same color as yours - Jadite Green. Looks terrific.

Like yours, our oven gave off smoke at first. The instructions warn about this - it completely disappeared after a week of use.

After five months, we're delighted. It replaced a slide-in range (an ugly 1970's era black Magic Chef - we called the Old Black Magic). Although the Big Chill stove is not a slide-in design, it fit the 30 inch space perfectly - no problem. Only sad part: the sides are mostly hidden inside the cabinetry.

The burners are great - little setscrews behind each knob let you adjust the lowest flame height to be just barely on. They self-light without a pilot. Even if you blow them out, they relight by themselves.

That cast-iron stovetop lets us slide around cast-iron frying pans when the kitchen gets busy. Each section is heavy when you lift 'em to clean. (We were accustomed to lightweight pan-supports, having never used a high-end stove before)

The stovetop holds onto spills - overflows don't seep into the stove's inner workings. A few exposed screws hold down the stainless steel cooktop; these get food caught in and around them. Also, the cooktop's overflow catchment has squared corners, which would be easier to clean were it more gently rounded/chamfered. Solution? We line it with aluminum foil: problem solved.

The oven is a pleasure: the pull-out slide shelf lets you lift out cakes and casseroles without dodging around other shelves. The internal fan ("Convection") may be useful to others; we hardly use it. The light and fan are controlled by old-fashioned toggle switches - as reliable as gravity. But the oven door does get hot! While baking cookies at 350 F, I found several places on the door around 185 degrees.

Nothing plastic in this stove. The frontplate is steel, the door's metal, the window is heatproof glass. Even the knobs are metal. It looks and feels *solid*. Big feet - this stove wants to stay put. (Oh - you can adjust all four feet - unlike our old stove, it can be both level and wobble-free) We really like the rounded edges of the stovetop, oven door, and handle - they don't hurt during the occasional bump. when we occasionally bump.

Then, too, there's nothing electronic. Yippee - no digital clock blinking the wrong time! No electronic timer with impossible-to-remember instructions. No computerized oven controller that burns out every two years, requiring $500 replacements (ask my neighbor!). Simple to set the oven: just turn one knob.

The 1950's styling looks like it came with our house. I took the backsplash to our local paint store, and they matched the jadite green; we've since enameled several cabinets to match. My wife found a matching 1950's wall clock, so the kitchen looks properly retro. Now, if only we could afford that Big Chill Refrigerator...

Sorry for the length of this note - I wanted to talk about how the initial smell dissipates after the oven's been used. But after 5 months, my wife and I (and our two teenagers) take daily delight in our new, old stove. It works great, looks terrific, and brings smiles to our morning coffee and evening dinners.

-Cliff & Pat, in Oakland, California

This post was edited by CliffStoll on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 20:57

o

Very nice built by Bluestar.

o

Great pic Cliffstoll! Love it.

o

Cliff, that's a beautiful range! It's great to hear such a thorough review of the Big Chill range. Hopefully Barbara's smoking oven problem will resolve itself as easily as yours did.

Jolb57, I don't think Big Chill appliances are made by Bluestar. I believe it's an independent company in Boulder, CO.

o

It seems they are made in Reading, Pa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Chill

o

If you look at the burners they certainly bear an uncanny resemblance to BS and Reading is BS country.

o

Certainly they Big chill could build them with parts from BS I really love these stoves.

o

quote from the link above.
"Big Chill (Boulder, CO): awesome retro-styled kitchen appliances made from name-brand components (Whirlpool, Amana and others), with stamped steel exterior panels powder coated in your choice of low-VOC paint colors. Vintage-look refrigerators and dishwashers are assembled in Boulder, CO and stoves, hoods, microwaves and wall ovens assembled in Reading, PA by the company that makes Blue Star appliances."

Elsewhere on line, it looks like some of the panels used on the other aplliances may be made by Prizer-Painter as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here