Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara1963_gw

Big Chill Stove

barbara1963
11 years ago

I just had a Big Chill Jadite Green stove installed yesterday. Today when I turned the oven on, it got super smoky and I had to shut it off. It was super scary!
I did not receive a manual...contacted the company....looked online to try to find some answers, .....can anyone advise as to what the problem is? There is nothing inside the would have caused the problem, such as packing or plastic ties on the oven racks from shipping.....

Comments (22)

• User
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Most new ranges will have some manufacturing oils that will need a "burn off". And you've got to double check that no packing materials remain. Some makers tape things to the top of the stove or broiler area to cushion it during transport. Get a flashlight and get on your hands and knees and inspect everything. Even a piece of left over tape from the packing will make a nasty smell.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Been there, done that with the Wolf - I had to quickly open the windows! Then I read the manual - oops!

• jolb57
    11 years ago

Very nice built by Bluestar.

• shannonplus2
    11 years ago

Great pic Cliffstoll! Love it.

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

Cliff, that's a beautiful range! It's great to hear such a thorough review of the Big Chill range. Hopefully Barbara's smoking oven problem will resolve itself as easily as yours did.

Jolb57, I don't think Big Chill appliances are made by Bluestar. I believe it's an independent company in Boulder, CO.

• wekick
    11 years ago

It seems they are made in Reading, Pa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Chill

• jolb57
    11 years ago

If you look at the burners they certainly bear an uncanny resemblance to BS and Reading is BS country.

• jolb57
    11 years ago

Certainly they Big chill could build them with parts from BS I really love these stoves.

• wekick
    11 years ago

quote from the link above.
    "Big Chill (Boulder, CO): awesome retro-styled kitchen appliances made from name-brand components (Whirlpool, Amana and others), with stamped steel exterior panels powder coated in your choice of low-VOC paint colors. Vintage-look refrigerators and dishwashers are assembled in Boulder, CO and stoves, hoods, microwaves and wall ovens assembled in Reading, PA by the company that makes Blue Star appliances."

Elsewhere on line, it looks like some of the panels used on the other aplliances may be made by Prizer-Painter as well.

• Anne Weikart
    8 years ago

Is the oven self-cleaning?

• Angela Rumph
    8 years ago

I had my big chill retro stove for 15 months. The broiler on the stove has stopped working. I have a call in to big chill to recommend a repair shop. Has anyone had trouble with the broiler in the oven? What about getting your stove serviced? I hope I can get it repaired without a hassle. Love the stove.

• murchkid
    8 years ago

Angelarumph, I'd love to hear your experiences with the Big Chill, thus far, including working through the repairs.

• jennine_d
    7 years ago

Any updates? I'm trying to find a 36" range that is affordable.

• Margaret Schultz
    7 years ago

Well jennine_d, if you consider $5800 affordable for a 36" stove, then you can have a Big Chill Retro stove!

I love how these stoves look. If I had an older house, I'd seriously look into these. Gorgeous, and love the variety of colors.

I do worry though, that they are more about looks than functionality.

• wekick
    7 years ago

The Big Chill Pro 36" is on sale though for $2636, 20% off list through Nov 30.

https://bigchill.com/shop/stoves/36-pro-range/

• Jason Myers
    5 years ago

Reviving this thread if anyone is still out there... Looking at the BC Pro and Classic lines... Wanted to ask for some feedback and a couple questions - I can't find anywhere that states its single or dual fuel, so assuming its a gas range... which is a bummer (as a Chef I prefer electric ovens for accurate stable temps)... Also, love the French Blue color when displayed on the Classic line, but on the pro line it looks downright Caribbean style blue... Any personal experience with the French Blue color on the Pro line? Any recent feedback or experiences are much appreciated! Thanks!

• Jason Myers
    5 years ago

Oh, and wanted to ask - the Big Chill badge on the front of the Pro line looks downright dumb... I know it's superficial of me to care, but I just hate big screaming brand names plastered on things, especially BIG CHILL on an oven... I am more subdued. Anyone have experience removing these? They adhered or are there mounting holes? Thanks in advance!

• Cliff Stoll
    5 years ago

Cliff here - Six years ago, I reviewed our Big Chill Retro 30" stove (the review is in this thread, up about two dozen posts).

Our Retro Big Chill is still going strong after thousands of meals (300 days times 2 meals a day times six years is, uh, lots of cooking). My wife and I still admire its retro design; it continues to perform perfectly. Easy to use, easy to clean. Lots of compliments from friends. Zero service calls.

A couple little things, all self-fixed:

- After a few years, the gas orifices on the stovetop begin to clog. Easy to clean by lifting the black ceramic disk and poking a small wire or sewing needle.

- Last year, I noticed that the self-igniting sparker was taking many clicks to light the flame. Even though I could hear and see the spark, the gas didn't ignite until 5 or 10 clicks. I purchased replacement spark ignitors, and installed them myself. Now, the burner lights on the very first click! For the record, the ignitors are model number 74009336 and cost about $15 on Amazon.

Last night, I used an oven thermometer to measure the oven temperature when set to 250, 350, and 500 degrees F. Each was spot on.

By the way, we really like the chrome emblem on the front of the oven (says "Big Chill" in 1950's script). It's chromed metal, just like a 1950's appliance. If you remove it, there will be three small holes.

Today? Our two kids have graduated college and my wife and I cook mainly for ourselves. With the kids gone, our Big Chill cooks fewer burgers, fries, and chocolate chip cookies. Instead it's grilling up morning pancakes & omelettes or perhaps fried-rice or chili dinners.

• malia
    2 years ago

I bought a Classic Big Chill stove in Dec 2018, By the time it was build, delivered and installed, almost 5 months had passed. Within 7 months (little oven use too due to heatof summer)the ignitor stopped working and the oven would not hold heat aboue 220F. I called and immediatly told it was out of warrenty (which I thought was 2 years). It was replaced but every 4 to 6 months the same thing happens. I did some research and found this was happening before I purchased the stove. I addressed ths and the explosion thing and was told by Candice at Big Chill all thise issues have been resolved. Apparently they were not.Has anyone else had this problemand if so when I am trying to put together a bigger picture and I am wondering how trustworthy Big Chill is with consumers. I find it very concerning when people trust companies who do not offer factual , honest information to consumers, especially at these high prices. Last, does anyone know why this happens? it is a clash of product used I would think, and there is a reason for it that the company has a responsibility to address. Thank you

• Angela Rumph
    2 years ago

malia
    I bought my Big Chill stove in Nov 2014. Since I purchased it I had to replace the broiler twice and I had to replace the oven ignitor about a month ago. I guess you could say I bought these Big Chill appliances for the look because you have to know a good repair man in order to keep them working. I went and purchased some top of stove burner igniters to keep just in case I need to change them. These are beautiful appliances but they do have issues.

• malia
    2 years ago

Thank you. I agree that I love the look but the 'working quality" falls very short acceptable when the price is so dear. Thank you very much for your feedback.