Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
endives

Bluestar blues. Rnb 36"

endives
10 years ago

We have had our Bluestar for about two months.
We were quite excited although, I was hoping to get the now discontinued wolf. The SO liked the fire power of the BS.

Our remodel took 3 months longer than anticipated so the BS sat at the dealers.

Now the BS. It arrived. The installer nearly had his eyebrows singed off when one of the burners shot up flames a foot into the air. it took a week with good amount of badgering to get Bs to ok a visit. A part was missing. A part that makes the burner a 22k. That has been dealt with although we realized after the service person came that he didn't quite adjust the flame.

He did take the oven door off to fix the bottom that was off center.

Now, after hectic holiday cooking, we find our oven door askew. It does not shut fully. You can see a 1/4"-1/2" gap. Perhaps this is the reason the knobs are immensely hot when the oven is going. We use a towel.
We tried to take the door off as the service person showed us but it appears one of the hinge locks is jammed. The door when open, sits too far down.

Customer service has been curt when they respond. They have not been very helpful andmy normally very patient SO is pretty darn displeased and now wishes we did not purchase this oven.

I keep wondering if we got an oven that was sitting in the back of the warehouse and was not to be sold.

The craftsmanship... Questionable. Even the broiler pan is shoddy, it sliced my hand where a jagged bit sticks out.

At this point we are stuck with our BS. If I could go back, I would have forced the issue and gotten the wolf. It was solid and finished without wires held up with zip ties and jiggly screws. I would not recommend this product, especially with the customer service. Fingers crossed we can get it fixed before the warranty expires.

Comments (20)

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

Endives, glad you posted, hope someone here can help. First, as I read it you have two issues, the knobs are very hot, and the door does not seem to close fully. Turning to the gap - where do you see it? On mine, standing to the side of the range, when the door closes there appears to be a gap at the bottom that gets progressively smaller as it gets toward the top. It is probably about 1/4" wide towards the top. When I try to push it further closed, it doesn't move, and when you open it, you can see it was resting on the gasket - which is why it seems like there is a gap. Is that how yours looks? If not, bluestar has a video on removing and reinstalling the door, I linked to it below. Second, i find the knobs are much hotter than the ones on my prior oven which were of some plastic composite. I think it is primarily because the BS knobs are metal. I have not done this, but have you tried pulling the drip tray out a little to see if that cuts off the migration of the heat towards the knobs - at least until you can get the door issue fixed. The only other solution is to see if they offer a nonmetal knob. I thought about that when I first got by BS, but since I have gotten used to them, it is not really an issue for me any more.

Here is a link that might be useful: bluestar service video

• endives
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Barry,
    The gap is at the top of the oven. It gets wider as you go up.
    We tried to remove the door as per the video but one of the latches will not go down so we are not sure what happen since the last person who fussed with it was the repairman.

We will try pulling the drip tray out to reduce the heat though we are concerned the oven door gap will affect the oven temp controls. We have two thermometers in the oven and we have noticed that the oven has been off since the door issue presented itself.

Does your door, when fully open, sit/rest on the bottom trim?

We are trying to be positive. It is amazing how poor customer service can color one's outlook!!

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

Endives, yes, there is plenty of clearance when the door is open. I have attached a photo. Not sure why the latch will not go down, but it does seem like something is stuck.

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

This is what it looks like with the door closed from the side view - not sure how to rotate the photo, but you get the idea.

• endives
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi barry,
    Ok so something is amiss. Our door angles beyond 90 degrees. That might be the reason there is a gap at the top. We don't want to force the latch for fear of further damage.

We are hopeful we will get some action from BS. My SO is quite frustrated by their tone as so far which is saying alot since he is a mediator.

Alas, thanks for sharing the photos. It is helpful.

• endives
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi barry,
    Ok so something is amiss. Our door angles beyond 90 degrees. That might be the reason there is a gap at the top. We don't want to force the latch for fear of further damage.

We are hopeful we will get some action from BS. My SO is quite frustrated by their tone as so far which is saying alot since he is a mediator.

Alas, thanks for sharing the photos. It is helpful.

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

Endives, yes it does seem like you need a repair person to look at it, if you can't get the latch to move. Hopefully, it will be a quick fix once you get someone out to look at it.

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of my bluestar door in the open and closed position. While open, it's seems that there's about a 1/2" of space between the door and the lower vent panel.

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

Oops. Don't know how to upload multiple images.

Here's the door closed

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

Oops. Don't know how to upload multiple images.

Here's the door closed

{{!gwi}}

• endives
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ours looks like this. Does not look right compared to yours

• endives
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When closed. Not right huh

• endives
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When closed. Not right huh

{{!gwi}}

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

Wow. Def not right. Was that how it always was? Even if that just happened, they should immediately repair or replace it. If they refuse, you should contact your state attorney general's consumer protection bureau and file a complaint. I hate to do something so drastic, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Yes, something is definitely way out of whack on your door!

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

....closed

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

endives, have you tried just removing the door and re installing it? It could be just miss-aligned on the hinges? It is a pretty simple straightforward task to remove and replace. I had mine off to put the range in place, and once again to clean the glass between the door panels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Removing oven door

• carree
    10 years ago

Have you contacted Kacie at bluestar customer service in Redding, Pennsylvania? I have found her to be immensely helpful. Your door needs adjustment for sure.

• endives
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes ctycdm, we watched the video but one latch is stuck/locked and we have not attempted to strong arm it for fear of greater damage. The last person that removed the door was an authorized repairman who fixed the bonfire burner.

Carree, Thanks, We will try finding Kacie and hopefully, it will be fixed in time for christmas dinner.

Thanks... Just glad to see photos of what to look for
    Happy holidays

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

Totally agree about Kacie. She is terrific. Here is her email

kandrosko@bluestarcooking.com