Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Range hoods under cabinet Vent a hood vs Kobe

Posted by sarina (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 13:54

Hi I am looking now to do the vent hood over my GE Cafe dual fuel range I just ordered. I am looking at Kobe I like the looks a lot and the price. I have read though they are hard to install . We would hire someone but this is a small area so I hope the installer would know how to do the Kobe. They talk about on build.com about having to drill new holes in the stainless as it does not like up and other pain in the butt issues with the install. My other choice is Vent a Hood . I had a vent a hood over a Wolf cooktop in last house that was a liner inside wood hood. What a pain it was to clean. Not so much the first part but the squirel cage part was very hard to get up there and degrease that . I did like how it worked though . I must also say I think I let it go a tad to long between cleanings. I do like the Kobe has led lights and the Vent a hood does not . The price is about two hundred more for the Vent a hood.Does anyone have a Kobe ? If so do you like it ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the Kobe I like has , steel baffles that come out to clean.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Range hoods under cabinet Vent a hood vs Kobe

I don't think any installers will have much experience with either hood choice. They install mostly Broan and other builder grand hoods and if they work in a high end area maybe Best by Broan , Wolf, and Viking.

Anything other than the most common brands they will need to read the instructions. My poor kitchen guy had to read the instructions a couple of times over for every appliance in my kitchen.

Google gardenweb kobe. There are plenty of owners here.

o

@sarina: I have had the Kobe RA02 for about 8 months now. Being an engineer, I did the install myself, although the chimney cover is still not in place, as I need to redo the crown molding behind it (procrastination is the name of this game).

Overall I like it, but that doesn't say much, as my previous ventilation was just a fan-in-a-ceiling-hole. The quiet setting is quiet, but the other two are noisy; without previous experience, the "sones" numbers don't translate well into actual noise levels. Otherwise, on High, the hood is pulling out all the smoke and airborne grease steaks in a cast-iron skillet produce. You will have to open a window or install a MUA to help it pull all that air volume.

The baffles need scrubbing every month or so, but that's a very small price to pay for not having cabinetry and walls smeared in grease.

The model you're looking at is a little more elaborate, as it has some sort of electronic control. The RA02 is bare-bones, just two rotary switches.

o

Thanks for the input! Really I have to do Make up air ? I thought that was for very heavy duty hoods?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here