Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

Need some help with finalizing some appliance details

Gooster
11 years ago

I'm sorting through all my appliance options, and I'm working through some items that are going to impact my cabinets.

I've been sorting through the forums, and here's what I've been able to discern from recent conversations.

Warming Drawers: With inset cabinets, only the Dacor Outdoor/Indoor and Miele models seem to work without an extra deep base. I may just forego this and get whatever normal drawer matches the handles on the nearby range. Anyone know otherwise? Any choices for a flush mount warming drawer?

Microwave: I'm looking at the Microwave drawers for an island mount, and may stick with the Sharp since they make all of them anyways. My other idea is to have it shoved being a popup door in an extra deep upper cabinet near the fridge and pantry.

Range: The last major variable. I'm torn here. The candidates:
* Wolf 36" AG
* CornuFe 90
* Thermador Harmony
* DCS 36" DF

I think most people are Wolf or Capital fans around here, I think.

Any opinions?

Budget-wise, I'm trying for a tradition kitchen that is mid range with many high end details. The rest of it (floor plan options in a prior post) includes white inset cabinets, quartzite countertops, quarter sawn site-built random plank wood floors.

The dishwasher will be Bosch (I've had a great experience with them) or Thermador (Asko). The fridge will be slide in -- I'm resisting the temptation to put in a built-in and keep the budget in line. I don't want to overequip the kitchen relative to the neighborhood.

Comments (4)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Thermador dishwashers are rebranded Bosch not Asko.

Gorenje,a Slovenian appliance compmany,purchased Asko a while back and is now in the process of moving all manufacturing from Sweeden to Slovenia.

I love my Sharp MW drawer.

If it is looks over cooks I would go with CornuFe 90. But I seriously can't imagine getting a French range without a French top and last I checked that is not offered in the CornuFe 90.

If it is cooks over looks then check out Capital Culinarian or Bluestar RNB.I love cooking on my Culinarian from making frittadas,woking, to roasting turkeys in rotisserie oven. It is just plain significantly better.

Sorry,don't have any answers for your warming drawer question.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I've made a little progress in narrowing my choices. I'm finalizing my cabinet order and need to pick certain elements to get the openings sized correctly.

I've solve my microwave dilemma by hiding it behind a pocket door.

I'm looking for a warming drawer that does not stick out too much from the cabinets. I'm using inset cabinetry and a fully integrated, inset panel will be very difficult in an island situation with a standard 24 inches of total depth (interior space of less). (I know the Dacor indoor/outdoor unit might work, but it may not be recommended.) I've looked at Miele SS, Dacor SS and GE Monogram. These all seem to stick out the least of all the choices. The problem is that these handles don't match anything but their own sister refrigerators and dishwashers. (I'm not getting the integrated Miele fridge)

Here's my current configuration choices:

Set 1
    Thermador 36" range
    Thermador (Bosch) Dishwasher
    KA FD CD refrigerator, Pro Series
    KA or Thermador WD, with matching handle (not happy with this, these stick out so much... any alternatives?). Another possibility is the Dacor WD

Set 2
    CornuFe 90 Albertine Range
    Bosch Panel Front DW
    GE Monogram SS CD Fridge
    GE Monogram WD

Set 3
    Wolf 36" Range
    Bosch Panel Front DW
    Dacor WD
    KA CD BF Fridge

Anything else I should consider? I'm also concerned with the venting requirements of the Thermador and Wolf ranges (let alone the higher BTU BS or Capital).

• User
    11 years ago

Make the cabinets deeper and you won't have an issue with integration. That's not a big deal modification and it helps to get you a bit extra counter space. Or/and move the warming drawer off of the island. That's an odd place for it to be located anyway. Warming drawers are functionally best located near the serving zone in a dining room, or under/adjacent to a cooktop.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Hollysprings: I'm a bit space constrained to make the island too much wider although I could make the overhang smaller. I also concerned with the moisture from the drawer impacting the finish as you loose the venting. It is just behind the range area. Moving it to the wall would only work in one area, but making it deeper would really mess up some corner dimensions.

However, based on your suggestion, I could flip the cabinet by 90 degrees and change it to a 24 wide by 27 deep cabinet. This would allow it to be fully flush. (still does not alleviate the problem of steam mitigation).

This post was edited by gooster on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 12:03