Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gigietdidi

Help Me Pick a Refrigerator

GigietDidi
9 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and need new appliances. I've researched Consumer Reports and have found their ratings verses the user ratings drastically different. Is there anyone who likes their fridge? We are hoping to buy a freestanding 3-door French door bottom freezer, or conventional bottom freezer, and no external water dispenser.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments (8)

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

Why don't you first go on AJMadison and narrow it down and then ask people here about their experience with particular brands and models? We don't know your price range, preferred size or whether you want full depth or counter depth. Those things make a difference.

Also, a lot of people on this board feels that CR disses higher-end appliances. And others don't trust their ratings for a host of other reasons.

Yes, I like my fridge. it is a Sub Zero 36" French door with no external water or ice. But I don't think that is what you are looking for since you specified freestanding. SZ is built-in.

• GigietDidi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks nycbluedevil for your post. I really like the Liebherr, but am wondering if the high end ones are worth it. We live in the sticks, so getting Liebherr and Mielle serviced means someone will have to drive 1 1/2 hours to reach us, if they'll even bother. $$$! Locally, there is someone who fixes Wolf/Subzero, Bosch, Kitchen Aid, GE, Samsung, and all the other Home Depot/Sears brands. I do like LED lights on the Samsung and LG fridges ( and Liebherr, sigh.) Bosch is attractive, but is it any better than Samsung. According to CR its not. But, you're right, CR doesn't seem to like any high end applicances.

• Pacific1
    9 years ago

We have a Jenn Air freestanding french with bottom freezer, no external water dispenser. Viking also has something very similar. I think without the logo, I wouldn't be able to tell the two brands apart. Personally I like the look of the robust handles on these fridges.

• snowbean
    9 years ago

We love our huge Samsung French door with bottom freezer drawer, no water dispenser. It's the 26 cu ft size I think. Model is rf260beaesr bonus surprise the outside door surface will hold magnets !!!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I like my GE Profile french door (one of the newer ones that was actually made by GE, not a rebadged Samsung). Just a data point.

• jamesthejimbob
    9 years ago

If the lack of water dispenser is a deal breaker I'd recommend the Maytag MFF2558VEM (or the newer MFF2558DEM). The interior feels a little cheap and plasticy, but the stainless exterior is beautiful. It's about $1800, which is a pretty good price in my opinion.

If you don't mind having a water dispenser, The GE Café CFE28TSHSS is pretty much the best french door around right now. It's pretty pricey though, last time i checked it was going for around $3000.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

GE makes a non-dispenser version too. The Cafe has a hot water dispenser, the Profile (which I have) has sensors that can automatically fill a cup almost to the top, hands free.

• sherry0117
    9 years ago

Seeing what it is you are looking at the house we just sold had a Samsung in it. It was wonderful. Lots of space, easy to clean. Loved it. It was 4 yrs old when we left it and to that point it never had a problem We did have water and ice in the door. We are currently building and we have decided on something very different. I hope I don't regret it.