Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhunt_gw

I want a dishwasher with a two minute cycle

mjhunt
12 years ago

I am frustrated that typical dishwashers have very long wash and rinse cycles. I rinse my dishes before they go in my dishwasher so a one minute wash and a one minute rinse would be ideal for me, rather than well over an hour that the typical dishwasher takes. I think Bosch has a dishwasher with a shorter cycle but the cost of the appliance is pretty extreme.

Comments (41)

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

A commerical dishwasher meant for small restaurants or employee kitchens/break rooms at large companies have rapid washing cycles of 10 minutes.

If you "rinse" well enough that you would only need a 2 minute cycle why not just finish the job by hand and actual wash the dishes?

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• dadoes
    12 years ago

STOP pre-rinsing. It's not necessary, and you'll then be able to make proper use of the machine's capabilities.

• asolo
    12 years ago

I see you just registered today. Did you think it was the comedy forum?

• colin3
    12 years ago

An odd response, Asolo. The initial posting seems serious enough.

--

Mjhunt, as Deeageaux notes there are commercial dishwashers that will do this. Here is another: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/specsheets/420LXIH.pdf
    and there's probably discussion of them on this forum if you search. They're loud and not all that energy-efficient, but they're ultra-fast and if you need to wash very large volumes of stuff, they might make sense.

Alternatively, live with the long times. I've had a Miele for a couple months now that typically takes almost *three* hours. On the plus side, I don't need to pre-rinse -- dirty things go straight in without a stop in the sink. The extended time really hasn't been an issue. I entertained yesterday and did one load overnight; the second load is finishing up right about now.

• john_com
    12 years ago

zartimis I don't do this but LMAO

• asolo
    12 years ago

"The initial posting seems serious enough."

Right. Two-minutes....wash/rinse/done. Silly me. Perhaps OP intended they should be dried, too.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

any jokester may look serious for a while.

This thread may have been inspired by another one from last week.

Here is a link that might be useful: dry warm dishes RIGHT AWAY please

• mjhunt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I exaggerated a bit. Five or ten minutes would be fine. And, of course, drying is necessary too.

• asolo
    12 years ago

"So I exaggerated a bit. Five or ten minutes would be fine. And, of course, drying is necessary too."

Well, there you go. Thank you very much.

Then, again, 5/10 minutes start-to-finish is still ridiculous. Which, I suppose, you didnt' know?

The requirements/opinions you've expressed are nuts. You've posted onto a forum with rather incredibly kind, knowledgeable, and giving people and you're crapping on them.

I'm saying to you that if you have a legitimate concern, post it. I think you will find ample help, if you do. If you're going to continue to post as you have, I invite you to go get stuffed.

• colin3
    12 years ago

Two-minute dishwashing cycles are *readily* available, Asolo, as in the Hobart machine I linked to above. It's commercial equipment, but so what? There are quite a few people who have the Hobart machines in residential kitchens. Whitaker/Mahoney/Jordan's _Great Kitchens_ features two such kitchens, if you'd like evidence.

Whether it's worth $5K is another question. But if I had a really large household, I'd think seriously about getting one.

Your doubled-down hostility to the OP makes no sense at all. Especially in the holiday season. An apology is called for.

• asolo
    12 years ago

You are correct. I apologize.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

As previously noted, if you are pre-rinsing your dishes, it only takes about a minute more to actually wash them and dry them by hand. It will take more water, but if speed is your concern, nothing will be as fast as handwashing.

The commercial units that do provide fast washing are mostly "sanitizers" and would require you to prewash your dishes before placing them in the unit. They also do not dry. And they are expensive and will never ever be energy or water usage friendly.

You need to prioritize your needs clearly and reorder your thinking. Perhaps another set of dishes and an additional conventional DW is your answer if you serve a large crowd frequently enough that you find yourself running out of clean dishes. Or perhaps you entertain informally enough that the "assembly line" wash and dry approach in between courses could be a charming part of the dinner. Or, just get everything catered and let their staff worry about it. I'm sure there is a workable solution that doesn't require 5k and redoing all of the plumbing in your home if you'll think outside the box.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Colin, what I'm sure what the dismissive people are reacting to is that there are trolls coming into GW forums and posting somewhat absurd, but still possible, questions in order to have a laugh at the earnest answers they get. The follow up lends further credence to the notion that this is a prankster rather than someone with a legitimate concern.

The people who are posting helpful and kind hearted solutions just to be mocked do not deserve such treatment. If the OP is for real, he/she will post a proper message.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

ditto.

Some people get their kicks by posting what plllog described: a query about something that could be seen as "somewhat absurd, but still possible".

It also happened in previous years but not to the same extent. I could post links to a handful of other threads that are less than 3 weeks old.

Use your spider sense instead of taking it all at face value. A newbie query smells like a newbie query, and a different smell comes from someone inventing new ways to play. The OP wasn't a real DW buyer asking about DW's. Re-read it a few times and compare it to other newbies who consider getting a DW.

Commercial DW make noise, and steam. They are sterilizers. In many climates steam is your enemy. In many households unnecessary machine noise is a bad thing.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

My gosh folks, a simple and admitted exaggeration deserves a reprimand around here?! Spider sense? How about remove your head from whence the spider barks. Buy more dishes... yeah great solution if you happen to be running out of dishes between loads. But if you're rinsing dishes thoroughly because you don't go through many and would prefer not to stink up the dishwasher with rotting food as it's filled over the course of several days, then that's useless advice.

All I'm suggesting is if you really want to be helpful, how about understand that folks may have different needs than you. Personally I'd love a DW that had the option of a very short, hot, sanitizing wash cycle followed by a drying cycle that actually dries. Doesn't seem an absurd thing to wish for or seek, does it?

Last thought - If you really think someone's a troll, how about just ignore them? Posting on their thread, no matter what you say, is only encouraging them.

• asolo
    12 years ago

"Personally I'd love a DW that had the option of a very short, hot, sanitizing wash cycle followed by a drying cycle that actually dries."

Me, too. Have you considered what would be required to accomplish that with 110v? Please do let us know when somebody makes one that will do that in 5-10 minutes -- which is what the OP is asking for.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

Asolo, if you could be reasonable for a just a split second you'd realize that the OP is asking for a quick cycle. Not LITERALLY two, or five, or ten minutes. As much as I love my Miele and will probably never purchase another brand of DW again, there's a simple fact that these things take a freakin' long time to clean relative to what we were used to growing up, and relative to what's probably necessary if all we want is a quick, sanitizing but not necessarily pot-scrubbing cycle.

110v? I'm guessing you live in the US. So do I. A lot of the rest of the industrialized world has 220v standard. Even in my 1960's shack I've got 220 running my cooktop, oven, dryer, tablesaw and radial arm saw. It would probably take less than a billable hour for an electrician to run another dedicated line to a dishwasher. But even without 220, I submit it's not unreasonable for someone to ask for a DW to perform like they remember from three decades ago if the removal of caked-on food is not their foremost concern. No need to be hostile towards them and/or label them a troll just because they asked.

• oregpsnow
    12 years ago

Asolo,
    I have read your posts here for years and have total respect for you so please don't get mad at me. You do seem a little cranky lately. Is something wrong? Your posts have always been slightly acerbic but not hostile or grumpy. Until recently.

If there is anything we can do please let us know. Best wishes for the New Year.

• asolo
    12 years ago

@foodonastump....

Read the thread heading, please. The expectation was two minutes, later revised to five or ten.

Going back to your own statement "...very short, hot, sanitizing wash cycle followed by a drying cycle that actually dries..." still silly. You won't do it 5-10 minutes with 220 either. Pre-heated water with specialized equipment and procedures? Maybe, but you'd have to work at it.

"Not LITERALLY two, or five, or ten minutes."

Really? Seems to me OP was being quite literal. Backed away from 1-2 making it 5-10. Pushing the joke, I suspect.

"....not unreasonable for someone to ask for a DW to perform like they remember from three decades ago..."

Why did you toss that in? That's not at all what OP said. Made no reference at all to previous machines. Probably for good reason because nothing has ever performed as OP is asking. They don't now and they won't tomorrow.

@oregpsnow.....

I'm fine. I was cranky, acerbic, hostile, and grumpy years ago, too. You must have missed it.

@everybody.....

Passing the ball. OP said "Five or ten minutes would be fine. And, of course, drying is necessary too."

You know my opinion. If any of you know of a machine that will fill/heat/wash/drain/rinse/drain/AND NOW, DRY in 5-10 minutes by all means post it. For heaven's sake, the filling and draining alone will take many of those too-few minutes away.

I've had it with this silliness. Promise to stay away.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Ditto. The main argument advanced here is the unreasonableness of the time frame suggested and the whole query about drying. ((Note that drying did not become a requested feature until I mentioned it....)).

Let's be more aware of silly queries. Silly queries divide any group into those who say call it what it is and those who say let's treat the portions of the query that can be treated. That alone is fun fun fun for some people to read.

Instead of harping at someone to improve tone, instead add to main argument that resists giving earnest answers. The OP must be able to describe more about her real life needs first. Does anyone know if the OP has a 24" space for a DW? No you don't.

foodonastump you won't win any argument saying that 220V will accomplish more washing and drying in the few minutes requested time frame.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

@asolo - I guess you couldn't. (Be reasonable for a split second, that is.)

@davidro - asolo brought up the 110, not me. I just went along with it, having noticed that every electrical appliance in my house that produces significant heat or power happens to run on 220. I suppose I could get the same results from 80 amps at 110, but for some reason people smarter than you and me decided that's not a good idea.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I agree that this post was nothing more than fodder for some sole with nothing better to do ... I don't understand trolls ...

• dadoes
    12 years ago

smh @ the replies, attacks, arguments above. Lordy.

I took the OP's comment/question as an expression of frustration at the standard longer cycle times that are the rule nowadays, and the request for a 2-minute cycle as hyperbole.

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

For those of you wondering why some members are acting jaded and suspicious of the OP, you might refer to the following threads in Kitchens (I'm sure I have missed some). PLEASE do not respond in any of these threads. I have no idea if all these posters are the same person, but you may see a commonality; I certainly do. And now I am going to leave this thread and hope it quietly sinks to the bottom with no further posts.

Kitchen shrines
    Barbie as kitchen inspiration
    Grungy kitchen

• mjhunt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi All, Thank you for your very informative responses to my, initially ignorant, and now admittedly stupid hope or expectation. I have a renewed realization that we live in a world where products are made for every circumstance that may be encountered during use. Now I understand that dishwashers are made for the few who don't have a compost pile in which to scrape their leftovers. I need to remember that the engineer gods have limitations to the solutions they can devise.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Yet another absurd response.

• relic
    12 years ago

I have a 1947 GE that I use for party overflow that only takes ten minutes, 20 if you want it to dry.
    Also have a 1956 GE pull out as my daily machine and it
    takes about 35 minutes to wash and dry. No rinsing is
    needed in either but you have to load carefully in these old machines.

• asolo
    12 years ago

"Yet another absurd response."

Yes indeedy....sure was....and right from the source.

mjhunt sure had fun.

All y'all have fun?

• whirlpool_trainee
    12 years ago

Miele will release a dishwasher with a 17 minutes cycle.

Comes with: 3D cutlery drawer, LED interior light, AutoOpen drying, Perfect GlassCare, A+ energy efficiency, fully integrated... all the best features.

Downsides:

1) needs 400V / 3-phase supply

2) will be released in April

3) in Germany!

Here's a link and a picture anyway:

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele presents world's fastest fully integrated dishwasher

• whirlpool_trainee
    12 years ago

...about this entertaining alternative? ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Pimped 1957 Kitchen Aid Dishwasher

• mjhunt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For all of you who think my initial post was a joke, I'm back to re-address my want. I work in security in a Marriott nearly 30-years ago and I distinctly remember the Concierge suite had a small dishwasher that took no longer than 90-seconds to "sanitize" the dishes.

Am I so unusual that I use a metal scouring loofah to dislodge food from cups and dishes before I put them in the dishwasher? Once the food is dislodged, and most of the time it slides right off, when I put the items in the dishwasher, all that needs to happen is to sanitize then.

I disdain the fact that all typical residential dishwashers don't have a choice that is less than 2 hours long to get my dishes ready to shelve.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

No, most people don't have the need for a "dish sanitizer" in their house. Either they do the whole job by hand, or they scrape off the big stuff with a fork or knife and let the machine do the job it was designed to.

Why the need for such a quick cycle? If noise is the issue there are plenty of very quiet dishwashers on the market.

All of that being said, the dishwasher you want has already been mentioned in this thread. Miele has a few models with 10-20 minute cycles that can fit into the same undercounter spot other residential dishwashers can. You're going to have to pay up, though; the dishwashers themselves cost thousands of dollars and that's not including the cost to have a 240V circuit installed.

• markb
    9 years ago

I have the aforementioned Miele Professional Dishwasher. We purchased a MCM home and did a gut remodel and upgraded the electrical so the expense of adding a 240V 30amp circuit was minimal.

While the dishwasher is extremely fast, you won't get a two minute cycle. If you hook it up to a hot water line, the ProSpeed cycle takes around 19 minutes and will yield clean dishes without pre rinsing. The Universal cycle will clean normal/heavy soiled dishes in about 35 minutes and the Pots/Pans cycle will clean baked/burned on soil in about 48 minutes.

Be prepared to pony-up some serious cash for the unit.

• mjhunt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My son had me do a google search for 90 second dishwasher for sale and I found this http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/28543058/Dishwasher-that-washes-dishes-in-90-seconds.aspx

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

That's nothing new. There are plenty of DWs that take less than 5 minutes. But to get one, you're either going to have to deal with the shortcomings of a commercial dishwasher, or pay up for the Miele that is designed to be used in homes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why commercial dishwashers don't belong in homes

• taggie
    9 years ago

Zartemis, ROFL!!!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Once the food is dislodged, and most of the time it slides right off, when I put the items in the dishwasher, all that needs to happen is to sanitize then.

Run the "light wash" cycle.

Or run water until it's hot at the sink and run the "rinse and hold" cycle. Pop the door to let them air dry and it's done.

• julieste
    9 years ago

I just bought a new ASKO a week ago. I haven't tried these yet, but it has

"Quick wash--this program is used for glasses and porcelain that is lightly soiled, such as coffee cups." 20 min.

"Super quick--Short program lasting about 15 minutes with acceptable results for very lightly soiled dishes." 15 min.

Sounds like either of these would work for someone who already rinses dishes off and just wants a quick clean.

• PRO
    who moved my keys?!
    5 years ago

wow why is everyone so upset at this post? I would love a quick 10 minute wash...I saw a show that had a drawer dishwasher, was only 7 minutes, high pressure i believe...but I cant remember what brand/name...90 mn cycle is unnecessary....

• fauguy
    5 years ago

The newer Miele units have a Quick Intensive Wash.

When I use it, it does a 30 min wash, 8 min rinse, 10 min final rinse, 10 min drying. So it's done in less than an hour. That's pretty good for a non-commercial dishwasher that requires a 240v and cost $5000.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company