Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sshrivastava

Dacor Ovens: Quality Concerns

sshrivastava
17 years ago

I started this thread for folks to discuss potential QA issues with new Dacor ovens. I recently bought a Dacor Millenia (new style w/ Dacor Guide) and went through three brand new ovens before I got one that was not damaged or defective.

• Oven 1: Significant chipping of enamel around the top inside curve of door frame.
  • Oven 2: Metal filings inside oven cavity, missing light fixture cover, skewed door (not fixable), and tiny bits of pie crust on the bottom inside of oven window.
  • Oven 3: Tiny chip in enamel in same location as Oven 1, above, but only about 1/4 the size of your pinky nail.

The store was ready to send back Oven 3 because of the tiny chip, but I opted to keep it when Dacor documented it and said it would not be an issue -- I was concerned that heating of the oven might cause the enamel to further chip away from that location. They sent me a $75 roasting pan for my inconvenience.

All three ovens were brand new, sealed in the box, straight from Dacor. None of the ovens appeared to suffer from any shipping damage. The door seals were very nicely packed with insulation to prevent any chipping of the enamel, although the damage was clearly there beneath all the packing. This indicates that it happened prior to packaging for shipment.

I think it's unusual to go through three new ovens with any brand, let alone Dacor. I'd like to cautiion anyone buying a Dacor oven to carefully inspect the unit, inside and out, prior to having it installed in your home. If this is a trend, or Dacor is having a problem with its QA, there may be a number of ovens out there with these issues.

I've baked several dishes now in the oven, and it performs quite well. It's likely that the above issues were only cosmetic, but on a $3,000 oven that's unacceptable. Nobody knows how the pie crust got onto the inside of the door on the 2nd oven... that one had me scratching my head.

Comments (76)

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just got a call from the dealer. My new Dacor oven will be arriving on Wednesday for install on Thursday. Apparently my complaints, as well as the complaints of others, have forced Dacor to re-design their packaging and shipping strategy nationwide. They are also sending a representative out here to make sure the oven arrives undamaged and in top condition.

We shall see. :)

• wekick
    17 years ago

That's wonderful sshrivastava, I was out of town all last week and am going to call my dealer and find out when mine is coming.

• eamon2
    17 years ago

I'm glad it's coming so soon. Although they are responding appropiately they seem to react slowly to customer complaints especially considering the size of the company. They're not a mammoth GE! I think they should offer you a set of cookie sheets or the pizza stone for all your trouble.

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    17 years ago

eamon2, I agree... I already got a roasting rack out of them, a pizza stone would seem an appropriate concession. Hopefully they won't notice the gliding rack missing from the old oven... 'cuz I'm going to sneak it into my new oven! LOL

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The drama continues...

I got a call from the install company today. Dacor rep. unpacked the oven and it was damaged, so now this is oven #4 that is damaged and I'm preparing myself emotionally for oven #5, whenever it gets here.

4 DEFECTIVE, DAMAGED $3,500 OVENS in a row. Dacor has a serious problem on its hands. I'm definitely going to get a pizza stone out of this, I can promise you that!

• mcmann
    17 years ago

sshrivastava

I got a chuckle out of your pizza stone comment. Unfortunately there aren't too many accessories for the oven so you're running out of options. After all you have gone through perhaps they should offer you one of their coffee systems or an outdoor gas grill as a gesture of their goodwill.

But this scenario is absolutely unbelieveable! I cannot imagine the money this is costing them. I wonder if this persistent problem is being reported back to the appropiate management department? And didn't you say that Dacor was going to take extra precautions in packaging this time?

Maybe they should throw in an extended warranty too.

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My gut instinct is telling me that it has nothing to do with the shipping and storage -- I think they are coming this way from the factory. They pack the oven with the door attached to the oven, and they seem to be under the impression that it is the door that is causing the chipping when the oven flexes on its pallet during shipping. Well, if that were true, then wouldn't the door also be damaged? None of the ovens that had chipped enamel and even the slightest damage on the doors, which tells me they are leaving the factory this way.

I ended up getting the promise of a free extra glide rack and pizza stone from Dacor once they deliver a new oven. It's not like my current oven doesn't work -- it works fine, it's just that the chipped enamel is a bit of an eyesore.

I hope they resolve the source of this problem, as it is affecting a lot of people.

• wekick
    17 years ago

I have been unable to get to this forum and I am not sure why but was able to pull up a cached copy. I will try to post. This is unbelievable that your oven is damaged again. My oven came with the door separate and was still chipped. I am still waiting for them to replace it. I was told this Wed., but I'll believe it when I see it. sshrivastava, if they offered you your money back would you take it?

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    17 years ago

** LATEST UPDATE **

Sorry for the sensationalist titles, but I can't help myself! LOL...

The latest word from Dacor is that they are sending me a new oven directly from the factory, with its own driver and van, to ensure that I receive an undamaged oven. Dacor and the local dealers are playing this little blame game, where Dacor blames the state distributor and dealers for not properly caring for the units after they arrive from the factory, while the distributors and dealers are saying that the ovens are arriving already damaged.

My dealer, who seems reputable and believable, says the problems can be directly attributed to the fact that the ovens sit atop a wooden pallet without any cushioning or insulation from bumps. My dealer is convinced it's a packaging issue, and that Dacor makes far too many assumptions about how these ovens will be handled during shipping and delivery.

Now I'm waiting for my new oven to be driven out here from who knows where. I think I will name this one Miss Daisy. :)

• wekick
    17 years ago

sshrivastava, did your oven(s) come with the door on? Mine was packed separate and the contractor could not get it on easily and did not want to force it in any way. We are waiting for the dealer to come out and put it on.

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The fourth oven that was shipped and arrived damaged had the door packaged separately. Dacor's representative inspected the oven at the dock and determined that it was damaged -- I do not know the nature of the damage, although I'm assuming it was shipping related since now they are sending one out on a van.

Dacor is blaming the distributors and dealers in Arizona, but others are having the same issues in other parts of the country, so I am gravitating towards the problem being on Dacor's end.

They have offered to give me my money back, and I will give them one more attempt at delivering an undamaged oven. If this one arrives damaged as well, then I will take my money and run.

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    17 years ago

UPDATE!!!

Dacor sent one of their QC engineers on a drive to Arizona from California, with a brand new MOH130 oven in the back of the truck. He arrived yesterday and installed my new oven. It was PERFECT -- no dings, no crooked doors, no chipped enamel, not a hair out of place!

He allowed me to keep the glide rack from the old oven, and I am also getting another glide rack and a pizza stone free from Dacor for all of the hassle I've experienced. So three glide racks in total, a free pizza stone, total value of concessions (including roasting rack after original complaint) is over $500.

I have to say, Dacor really stepped up to the plate on this one. They went way above and beyond anything I've ever experienced from any other appliance manufacturer. They have restored my confidence in their products as well as in their quality control. To send one of their QC engineers to my home to install an oven, well that just makes me grin from ear to ear! How can you not love this company?

Everyone, I can recommend Dacor ovens once again!

• mcmann
    17 years ago

Oh Joy!!! Congrats!! You've been though enough with your chipped ovens. I was even getting a little reluctant to check this thread for fear that you had received yet another defective unit.

But I have a question or two - I'm sure the QC engineer must have known about all the defective units you received. Did he have an explanation? I wonder if Dacor has figured out a better packing and delivery system? Did he have any idea when the meat probe issue will be fixed?

I hope this oven performs perfectly and allows you to create many marvelous meals.
    Bon Appetit.

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The QC engineer that installed my oven works with ISO and UL compliance -- he didn't know anything about the temperature probe issue. However, my rep at Dacor said that new control board were forthcoming and that they would notify me and schedule a service call when the replacements become available.

By the way, the QC engineer told me that the EC label on European appliances was their equivalent to UL. I saw that my De Dietrich induction cooktop had an EC label. Those having permitting issues might see if EC could be acceptable in lieue of UL.

Cheers!

• jeffinmonterey
    16 years ago

The problems noted on this thread are kind of amazing. We bought a Millenia oven and a gas cooktop. they were delivered by the dealer, unpacked at our house and seemed to be in fine condition. I must say, though, that I really didn't inspect the oven. It looked fine, and turned out to be fine. I should have inspected it much closer. the dealer's delivery people should have inspected it. We have called Dacor for a couple of things and have had good CSR support. they even sent us the 'dealer's operation manual' for the Millenia oven, which helped explain some of the operations. We did have a tech come out and replace a couple of the igniters on the cooktop, but other than that everything is great. We need to decide on the very expensive Dacor Extended Warranty pretty soon, though, and it is very expensive. You'd think that with the cost of their products, the warranty should be 18-24 months. I was paying so much for the appliances, that, if Dacor had charged an extra $150 or so, and advertised the best warranty in the business, say 3 to 5 years, I would have paid it. Paying for it as an extra, seems like I am being taken.

• eamon2
    16 years ago

Jeff - My Millenia double wall ovens are fine too. I also had the original ignitors on my Epicure cooktop replaced by Dacor because they were too sensitive and clicked. The new ones have worked perfectly.

However I did purchase the extended warranty. I really did not want to do it but I was concerned since it was a new model. There was also the possibility that we might be moving and having the extended warranty might a plus for prospective buyers. What is also annoying about the extremely high cost of the extended warranty is the fact that they only offer it for 3 years (not 5) and they don't offer a discount if you purchase it for more than one appliance.

Have you checked GE's price for comparison? According to their web site they will cover Dacor products.

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

Another Dacor ovens thread regarding the glide racks gave me the heads up that some of you have had problems with your Dacor ovens. Most seem to have been resolved. Are they STILL resolved now? Are you enjoying cooking in them? If I imspect my ovens closely upon arrival, am I safe in chosing this brand? I have been looking at the Epicure line. I am eagerly awaiting your replies and the news on the current status of your ovens. Thanks!

• wekick
    16 years ago

I have some issues with the way this oven bakes but they are replacing the computer board so it will beep when the meat thermometer reaches temp and they think this may fix those issues. If not I will be contacting Dacor directly. The distributor tells me I am not preheating enough and that the oven must preheat for 30 min. It beeps when it reachs temp after about 12 min. My convection settings do not bake evenly. I will post more when I get my new board. I follow their recommendations for the proper type of settings for the type of baking I wish to do.

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

Wekick: Have you received your new board yet?

General question: Is it normal to have to preheat for 30 minutes? Once the oven reaches it's desired temperature, can't I put my food in with the full confidence that it's ready to cook?

Thanks for your help!

• capecodcook
    16 years ago

As far as preheating is concerned, the theory goes like this: the oven thermostat measures the temperature of the hot air in the oven which is heated by the elements. The air in turn has to heat the racks and metal walls and doors. Generally the air heats to the preset temperature faster than it can transfer its heat to all this metal so when the oven turns off at the preset point, the hot air is still trying to bring all the metal up to temperature so it cools down by giving up its heat to the metal. If you put your food in now you are putting it into a cooler oven than you think and compound the felony because you just put in a bunch of room temperature food that further draws down the temperature of the hot air in the over (not to mention letting some of that overworked hot air escape when you open the door. All that metal gives off a certain amount of radiant heat also, and if it is cooler, contributes less to the cooking process. Sure the oven turns back on, but you are still trying to heat both your food and the metal so for a while you will be cooking at an average temperature lower than desired. 30 minutes lets everything stabilize at the preset temperature: walls, door, racks etc so at least you are putting your food into a uniformly warm environment. And this applies to any range, not just Dacor.

Is this long preheating period necessary? Depends on what you are cooking. For a roast or a casserole, probably makes little difference (heck, I throw a full size Willow Farms chicken pot pie right out of the freezer into a cold over and just cook 'til done-seems to work ok.) For cookies which cook quickly and need just the right temperature to brown and cook correctly inside, probably does make a difference.

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

Thank you, Capecodcook, you learn something new everyday!!

• nutkin88
    16 years ago

Finally my 2nd replacement oven was installed. The first was a lemon. The second has some enamel missing inside the oven. Do look very closely when you receive your oven. The third has no chip on the enamel. I have not use it yet. Hopefully it will bake evenly and the probe will beep this time and everything will work.

The amount of time I had to take off from work to wait for the numerous service call is unbelieveable. I hope this company realize that their customers have a life and make sure the product is relaiable before selling it.

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

Nutkin - Thank you for taking the time to post about your replacement ovens. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. Could I ask you one more favor? Once you've cooked with it, would you mind posting again and letting us know how it bakes? Evenly? With a beeping probe, hopefully?

I'm not completely turned off from Dacor, because they do seem to step up to the plate to fix it, but I am much more cautious. I won't be heading into this without a lot of thought!

Thanks to everyone for posting and I hope to hear from a few of the others who had the original problems. How are you faring?

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was supposed to receive the updated control board to solve the temperature probe beeping problems... well three boards and three service calls later they have yet to send out a circuit board that is either a) the correct part, or b) not damaged.

Now I see why Dacor ovens cost so much. It's not that the ovens are necessarily more expensive to build, but you end up paying for all of Dacor's mistakes and inability to do anything right. Never another Dacor in my home!

• nutkin88
    16 years ago

Agreed. Approx. $6K plus the vacation time I took for the service calls (not to mention the grief), this is the most expensive oven in the market.

LOL they should pay us for testing their product & not the other way round.

mo sgal - I will probably try the oven next week - it's just too hot to use it right now. Also, from reading sshrivastava's post, I may need to build up a week's worth of prayer before I use it ;) (just joking).

All I can say is, if I have to do it again, it sure won't be a Dacor.

• kimwok
    16 years ago

Do all of you who have had problems with Dacor have the new model? I have actually picked out the Millenia Classic double oven but haven't purchased them yet. Am wondering if I should go ahead or pick something else. Any advise?

TIA

• footballmom
    16 years ago

I am amazed that the Dacors are such defective machines! The company should be ashamed. It amazes me that they aren't more accomodating. It seems after three tries, they should just refund you money and let you go on your way. It is a sin to keep you captive to these appliances. I would never buy any dacor product. I like the looks, but even though I realize you can have a lemon in any brand, they seem to treat you as a project, not a valued customer. Good luck!

• wekick
    16 years ago

I think that it is misleading to say in their manual to place food in the oven when the oven beeps(12-14 min)and after I bought the oven to tell me that the preheat time is actually 30 min. The beep doesn't mean anything. I was not told this when I bought it. I let my oven preheat the other day for 45 min and it was still uneven. My old oven, a Maytag Gemini (non convection), baked much more evenly than this does. I copied the chart of what mode to use when baking. I don't mind a learning curve but the baking is very uneven. The tech told me to stagger my cookie sheets side to side . I guess he hasn't seen Dacor's cookie sheets that go completely side to side! I was also told that maybe the new board would fix my baking problems. My door is 0.25 inches off center and they ordered new hinges but I'm not sure that will fix it. It is just way too much trouble and a serious diappointment.

• nutkin88
    16 years ago

kimwok - the model we are talking about is the new Discovery model. It has the computerize cooking function. Dacor also produce the Classic line which are their older model. Other threads did mentioned that the classic model function well. However, that was a while ago when I read those threads, so I don't know if they still do or if they have the same problem.

wekick - I was shocked when they told me about the pre-heat time too. I thought they were joking. I would ask for a new oven, after you find out if any of the new oven with the new control works.

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

Okay guys, I'm having an 'aha-moment' that needs clarifying. Nutkin, wekick and sshrivastava - do you ALL have the Discovery ovens? Is that the model that is having trouble?

The ovens I'm considering are the Epicure double ovens. Are these ovens having these same serious quality control issues, or are these issues related to working out the bugs in the new Discovery line?

How does a company that pioneers True Convection get this rap? I'm baffled!

• wekick
    16 years ago

Yes the discovery model EO130. There is the Epicure and the Epicure classic. I can only speak to the Discovery oven. I think if you are only baking one item at a time you might not notice that it bakes so unevenly but when you fill it up, it bakes very unevenly. I did have to turn items 1/2 way through baking becase the front baked faster than the back. It certainly would not bake all the racks of cookies like they show on their website. Another fault is that the oven lights do not illuminate the top two rack positions.

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, Discovery model MOH130. I'm perfectly satisfied with the baking -- I don't find that it bakes unevenly at all -- but Dacor has some problems in its shipping department and distribution network.

• teachersuzanne
    16 years ago

Okay, it has been a few weeks. Any new news folks? I, too, am considering the Classic line -- no discovery board and exposed elements -- Anyone out there who has it who has had QC issues?

Thanks in advance!

• nutkin88
    16 years ago

I tired my 3rd Dacor oven and this is the result.

Pre-heat: The oven beeped when it reached 400F (per the control panel) but my oven thermometer which was placed in the center of the oven indicated a temperature of 350F. I had to wait for another 15 Â 30 minutes (canÂt be sure when it actually hit 400F).

Probe: The probe was set at 150F. When the internal temperature of the lamb reached 150F, the PROBE BEEPED!!!

I will try baking some cookies this weekend and see if the oven bakes evenly.

By the way, is it normal to have the control panel read 400F when the oven is no where near the temperature? Do I need to call for service again?

• wekick
    16 years ago

It just doesn't seem right to me at all, assuming your oven thermometer is right. But you said the panel temp did eventually agree with your thermometer temp, so it must be right. I think for how this oven is marketed, and for what you pay, it should beep when it is ready to bake. Again it is the point of the beep is to let you know it is at temperature. It should meet it's own written instructions. If I used the conventional bake this weekend to make some small bundt cupcakes and it baked ok but it was just two small pans. It has been so hot here I haven't wanted to use the oven.

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Dacor Discovery ovens have three thermometers inside the oven cavity -- perhaps the computer averages the three temperature readings?

• nutkin88
    16 years ago

Baked a pizza using the Dacor Guide tonight. The pizza was evenly baked ( mouth hanging open in surprise)

I guess the only thing I have not test is to bake a cake & multi-batch of cookies. Wekick, it has been so hot here too in CA. I will try a multi-rack cookies soon.

By the way, Wekick & sshrivastava have you got the new contol panel?

• wekick
    16 years ago

They are bringing my control panel next Wednesday.

• pattieo
    16 years ago

I just happened to come across this site when looking for feedback regarding the Dacor Millennia (MOH230) double wall oven. After reading all the posts, I think I made a mistake in ordering this item. My cabinet is being made for this appliance as I write this. Is this model with the discovery method a problem oven? I am not sure what everyone means when they say the probe beeps or not beeps. Since I don't have the oven yet, what does this mean? I use the probe alot to cook prime rib and roasts. Is it a problem with older models made months ago and is it something they admit is a problem? Or is it a bad design? Thanks for any input or responses.

• eamon2
    16 years ago

I bumped the original thread abouut this. In case you miss it here is the link. In any case contact your dealer to make sure your oven has the newly engineered electronic panel.

meat probe

• sshrivastava
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The problem with the temperature probe not beeping is a software issue in the oven's computer. They are now building the ovens with new controller boards incorporating updated software, and are slowly updating existing customers who ask for it.

Call Dacor and ask them which serial numbers of your particular oven model have the new controller board incorporated, and then check with your dealer on the serial number of the oven you will be receiving. Tell the dealer that you only want an updated oven.

Also make sure you check the oven for chipped enamel around the opening, I went through four ovens before I got one that wasn't chipped or otherwise damaged. Dacor has some serious shipping/distribution issues.

• pattieo
    16 years ago

Thank you eamon2 and sshrivastava. I am on hold with Dacor now and appreciate your advice. Thanks for the heads up regarding these issues with Dacor

• yellowdogs2
    16 years ago

Problems are not just with the Millenia. Let me preface this by saying that I installed 2 different Dacor ovens in 2 houses we lived in and had no problems in 10 years but that was in the 1990's when they were not having manufacturing issues and quality issues. When we moved into my current house I had a 30" classic Epicurean wall oven installed and had problem after problem. I bought one and after 9 months the panel went out and it would not heat or do anything. Dacor replaced the panel and it worked for another 3 months them went out again. Dacor replaced the oven. The new oven worked for 10 months and the temperature controls went out and it was heating to 550 no matter what it was set to. After replacing multiple parts and it not working they replaced the oven again. This 3rd oven worked for 6 months and went out while I was trying to prepare food for a dinner party for 70 guests. That was it. I replaced it with a non- dacor oven and will NEVER buy another dacor again.

• grohe
    16 years ago

i have a daor double walloven 3yrs. old, not millenia (they were not made then) my husband is in appliance business and said all dacors wallovens doors are shipped off the ovens. this might explain the chipping and doors being crooked, quality control issue it seems. not checking doors to ovens before being shipped, and ovens being handled without doors risk being chipped, no matter how well it is packed. i do know if inside is chipped it will eventually crack. also while having my viking hood serviced, i was told not to broil in my dacor upper walloven because the electronic panel will melt. the repair man said he has seen this. he said to only broil on the bottom. has anyone had this problem?

• eamon2
    16 years ago

I also have Dacor double ovens and I broil in both of them. But I always broil with the door shut. Do you think it's possible that the people who had a melting control panel broiled with the door open?

• grohe
    16 years ago

hi eamon2,

i asked the service man the same question. can't i broil with the door shut? he described the melting panel thing, said that customers had broiled with door open and shut.he said even with the door shut, when you open it you still risk the panel melting. the reason the service man and i got on this topic, i asked him why a small area of my electronic panel was cloudy? i only had baked up to 400 degrees in upper oven. he asked did you broil? i said no. he told me ony to use the bottom for broiling, which i do.i love my oven, but it is out of warranty and he said the panels to get replaced are pricey. when i get the time, i will check the manual. wonder if it says anything about broiling only in bottom oven.

• eamon2
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion about broiling in the bottom oven. The electronic control is sensitive and expensive. I don't mind tryiing to prolong the life of mine.

• aaron_buehler_dacor
    15 years ago

I have not seen any updates on this issue since 2007. I know that the packaging concerns were addressed at the factory and these units have been doing well. I hope that this means that your concerns have been addressed.

• Tracey
    12 years ago

I have a Decor IW027 oven and loved it, however this afternoon I had the scare of a lifetime. I turned the broiler on high watched it light, i put my item on me baking sheet and proceeded to open the door approx 4 minutes later, when i pulled open the oven door a nice big fat blue flash flame extended its hand to greet me. has anyone else had this problem. I am probably over fearful but on march 24th, 2011 this year i was in a major home fire from a ly-polly battery used for model airplanes it was a complete loss so no i see fire and i scared to death. so if anyone out there has had this problem could you please let me know. much thanks Tracey