Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rinse and Hold or Half Load Option?

Posted by Gamepro86x (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 12:32

I'm torn between SHE3AR76UC and SHE3ARF6UC (lowes exclusive).

Both are Bosch Ascenta's, but the lowe's exclusive model replaces the half rack wash option with rinse and hold.

Pros/cons of each?

I'm not really sure how much use the half load option will get from us, our current habit is fill as much as possible and run.

From what I've read rinse and hold keeps down the smell level and helps with pre-rinsing as you fill your dishwasher to do a full load (saw recommendation of running once a day until full).

I'm leaning toward rinse and hold now, but any suggestions form those who have these options?

Thanks,
Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rinse and Hold or Half Load Option?

My experience with Rinse/Hold dating back to 1975 is that it *causes* odor. I haven't used it in 20+ years.

Can't say anything about the usefulness of half-load cycles.

o

rinse an hold does nothing more than slosh water around in the tub.

It IS NOT a substitute for a half load option which has a pre rinse, heated wash cycle with soap, and a hot rinse. It just limits where the water comes out - usually the top racks.

o

Haven't found the use for either. While my middle rack tends to fill before the bottom, the bottom is rarely empty. YMMV.

o

I would opt for the half load option over rinse and hold. I had a Bosch from 2007, SHE58. It had the half load option. I used it sometimes, I try to run a full load as much as possible. I reduces water and time, plus you can put dishes anywhere in the machine and was available on most cycles. It gave me good wash results. My current Miele LaPerla 2 has a prerinse that I've never used in the two yrs I've had the dw.

o

I have both options on mine. I've used the half load maybe a half dozen times in as many years. I used the rise and hold once or twice, and as I recall, don't really see the need for it....now the short cycle option, I use all the time!

o

Rinse Hold knocks the big pieces off where they sit in the bottom with the remaining water and rot.

Half rack washes the upper rack completely.

o

"Rinse Hold knocks the big pieces off where they sit in the bottom with the remaining water and rot." LOL
ah now I recall why I never used it again, it smelled when I opened the door

o

I've had a half-load option for 2 or 3 years, and I think I've only used it once. I thought when my sons went off to college we wouldn't have as many dishes, but we still manage to fill the whole dishwasher in a short time.

Of the two, it sounds like half load is the much better choice of the two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here