Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snoonyb

samsung refrigerators

snoonyb
10 years ago

Buyer beware!

I purchased, brand new, french door, bottom freezer single drawer SAMSUNG refer, equipped with two ice makers.

Shortly there-after the freezer ice-maker decided not to make ice.

Service was quick to respond and departed with the advice to, change the water filter and make sure the drawer was completely closed.

I'm 73, and not forest gump.

After repeated failures and the service tech. saying we were about one service call away from replacement.

Samsung has decided that we should pay for a service call.

Last weekend I left the freezer ice maker, which I had been filling from the upper ice maker, empty for two days
and walla...........4 ice cubes monday morning.

Or perhaps, could it be that Samsung, as a marketing strategy, want consumers to replace their $2k appliances, in the hopes they will repeat the process every 2 or 3yrs, should they again fail.

Other than the freezer ice maker, the appliance operates as expected.

Comments (8)

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Sounds like you got the Lowes version? RFG238 if I recall correctly? I've had mine since Labor Day and while it seems to perform very well, there are many intermittent mechanical noises that concern me, not to mention a low but unpleasant running noise which I've discussed on prior posts. I keep meaning to check if I bought the extended warranty - and if not, trying to purchase one now - because I've got a bad feeling about this fridge.

• weissman
    10 years ago

On what basis can they possibly attempt to charge you for a service call?!? The only time I've ever heard of something being done like that under warranty is when they warn you that if there isn't a real problem, then you'll be liable for the call but in your case this is ridiculous - you obviously have real documented problems. Stand you ground and make them fix it or buy it back. I have a friend with a Samsung fridge and she's had nothing but problems both under warranty and afterwards. On the advice of a service tech, she did manage to get one free service call after the warranty ran out.

• snoonyb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's out of warranty, and still not repaired.

At present, I'm contemplating several alternatives;

Paying for a service and any replacement parts and proceeding against them, should that cure the problem.

Rolling it off my 2nd story balcony, down the hill and onto a major thereof-air with "for samsung service call---------"

I've spent 35+ yrs. in the trades, and I don't do warranty work.

• jcmjcm
    10 years ago

My Samsung frig was delivered 12/5/12. Ice maker broke this October and I also called with frig not holding temp, 10 degrees warmer. After call for svc, 6wks later I received repairs. I asked repairman which frig has least problems. He said they all have trouble!

• Landlord8544
    10 years ago

Making me think twice. Was giving serious consideration to the new french door model with the double door freezer bottom. One of the compartments is convertible to a refrigerator rather than freezer. Great design, but now I'm a little more worried. Anyone had any experience?

• chisue
    10 years ago

I don't know that 'old knowledge' is useful here, but...we have two GE side-by-sides -- one at home and one at our vacation rental condo on Maui. Both are still going strong after 13 years.

The home model is a Monogram 42". The condo has a regular GE 20 cu. ft. Both have ice/water in the door.

I'm really afraid to think how to buy replacements. I would guess all these things are now just junk made in China.

We needed to replace a Panasonic through-the-wall A/C. Old one lasted 15 years -- made in Japan. New one lasted two years -- made in Korea. Bet they now last one year and are made in China.

• weissman
    10 years ago

I'm sorry but "made in China" is used too casually these days. China is capable of making quality products - one of the main problems with "Chinese" products is that the US companies that contract with them, set low standards and low prices and then get what they pay for. Frankly you can get junk made anywhere including the US! Yes, the buyer has to beware more these days and it's easy to exclude China in theory but in practice it's a lot harder to find things that aren't manufactured in China. One problem is the American consumer who wants the lowest price possible but doesn't want the junk that that price buys.

• snoonyb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"I don't know that 'old knowledge' is useful here"

I had a GE side-by-side, from the late 60's, $980, watched the decline of GE in the 80's and 90's with the monogram series changing design every 2yrs. and the lack of service due to the lack of parts.

I'd do little more than clean the bottom filters and left it there when I moved in 98.

Thanks, my beef is only with Samsung's reluctance to repair that ice maker and demanding that I pay for a service call, from the same service facility who has yet to accomplish the repairs successfully.

To what end!