Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
papajoe74

KitchenAid Microwave/Convection Oven Combo

papajoe74
9 years ago

Just recently upgraded our kitchen, including all new appliances. We purchased the subject oven which has a combo microwave/convection oven above the larger main oven/convection oven unit. We immediately noticed that the microwave cooling fan would not stop running after the cook time expired until we opened the door. We called in a serviceman who told us that this is the way KitchenAid designed the oven. Not ever owning a microwave that did this, I called KitchenAid cs who verified this design. The fan will run for about 20 minutes after a mug of water has been cooked for 1 1/2 minutes. ANNOYING! Can't recommend this unit if you hate being compelled to respond to appliances that won't shut themselves off. All KitchenAid has told me is that "they are sorry I feel this way". It's interesting how the dealers don't tell you about these quirks before you purchase them.
I would like to know if others find this very unusual (that a cooling fan would run for 20 minutes in a microwave if the door is not opened), or if other owners of a KitchenAid mircowave were able to get this issue fixed somehow?

Comments (8)

• llaatt22
    9 years ago

OR you might ask yourself what sort of events might have convinced the designers that this enhancement was both necessary and cost effective.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I've had a similar KA oven for about 7 years now, it's never bothered me in the slightest. Usually I remove my food from the microwave right after it's done. Can't understand why anyone would leave it in there for 20 minutes, it would get cold by then. Actually I kind of like it as it reminds me I left something in the microwave that needs to be removed. The dealer didn't tell you about it because it is a non issue for most people. They were not lying to you, it is indeed normal operation, thus there is no way to "fix" it.

• papajoe74
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haved asked myself why a designer would do this, and have requested that from KitchenAid also, but they are unwilling to get me in contact with someone who might have the answer. Being an engineer myself I can't see the need for this "extra" cooling when there is very little heat being generated in the microwave, plus I have yet to come across any other microwave that is designed like this. By the way, in addition to the fan running constantly, there is also an audible alarm that is going off at the same time. No, I don't leave my food in there for 20 minutes either, but stupid is still stupid and that is what is more irritating about this design. On the flip side I also have a KitchenAid dishwasher that has an alarm that is hardly audible unless you are standing next to it. I have a Samsung refrigerator that puts out a high frequency hum when the unit is not running (suspect that it is coming from the vfd drive), and finally i have a JennAir electric cooktop where I have continually observed that the heating element turns on for about 10 seconds immediately after one adjusts the cooking temperature DOWN. (what sense does this make?) Yes, I might be old school, but what was so bad about refrigerators that didn't make any noise when they weren't running, ovens that took half the time to pre-heat vs todays units, and cooktops or ranges reacting immediately to a temperature setpoint change. Like my wife said, they need people that actually use appliances to work for these companies to design them better.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Engineers should not buy appliances. There I said it. I mean I slipped. Just kidding of course. But in all reality would you rather have a quiet oven or replace the control panel often. I do mean very often. I am fairly certain that all combo units have fans that need to stay on for a while. Try leaving the oven door open for a bit. I think it is thermocouple controlled. Good luck.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

my GE does this when using the convection function. I think the Sharp did this as well.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

They do it to annoy engineers. That is their sole reason. Just so they can nitpick their design. So your saying then you would rather have a unreliable circuit board I take it?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>So your saying then you would rather have a unreliable circuit board I take it?

How does running the fan after using the microwave function improve reliability of the circuit board? I've never seen this on another microwave brand and it doesn't make sense to me either, but it's one of those things that I care so little about I would never spend more than a few seconds thinking about it. And it certainly isn't something that would annoy me, come on it's just a fan!