Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
warmfridge

Paging Pinch_me, re review of Broan E661 hood

warmfridge
14 years ago

Hi Pinch,

My range hood was finally installed last week. The installation went well, after the contractor found 14" rectangular vent parts. He immediately turned it on and you could see it sucking all the drywall dust out of the kitchen. One thing to consider about the installation is that this hood is not very tall, so you may need some kind of spacer under your cabinet to get the bottom of the hood in the recommended range of 24"-30" from the stove surface.

The off-center fan that someone else mentioned does not seem to be a problem at all. The light bulbs do not, in fact, fit snugly and some air blew back toward the stove but that problem was easily solved with a little piece of aluminum foil.

The halogen lights have 3 settings. The lowest one is good for kitchen ambience, and the brightest one is more than adequate for cooking. The bulbs get pretty hot, which is a plus for me as I can leave bread dough on top of the stove to rise under those lights.

The fan has 4 speeds. Even on the lowest one you can see it sucking up smoke and steam. The high one seems really powerful. I tried the high setting last night while I was sauteing peppers and onions...it completely eliminated any odors and there wasn't any grease on the stovetop when I finished. The high setting is pretty noisy, but I wouldn't expect anything different from a hood with an internal blower vented directly out the back. I don't think I'll use the high setting unless I'm frying something like onions or fish anyway. The 5-minute delay off feature is nice.

I'm pretty pleased with this hood so far. Also really glad it finally got installed as we got a lot of snow yesterday and I don't need that tracked into the kitchen.

WF

Comments (11)

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Great! I need to be on the look out for 14" rectangular vent parts? What came with it? So the thing leaks around the lights. Hmmm.
    My first order from salestores didn't produce a hood. They say they can't get one and yet it's still listed on their site. My second attempt, at compusave, is on hold. I went to the web site today to see if there was a tracking number and found the message to contact them. Seems fishy to me. They had my email addy. Email me. I tried the phone number but apparently they keep banker's hours and no one was there. I sent an email so standing by to see what's wrong. Now I'm thinking I might investigate the posting I saw in passing about the Zepher. Wish I knew which forum it was. Don't think it was the main post, think it was added to some other post.......somewhere ;-)

• macybaby
    14 years ago

We found the required vent components at Lowes. They were back by the hoods (they sell Broan) and not where the rest of the duct work is sold. We are running 8" round through the roof so needed the 14x3 to 8" round. However they don't sell that so we got the 14x3 to 7" round and an adapter (sold with the regular duct work) to go from 7" to 8". The roof vent cover was also by the range hoods (made by Broan also). Got it for under $20 and saw the same thing for sale online for over $60 (ouch!).

We had a 4" vent through the roof and needed to go larger, so we went large enough that we should not need to expand it again even if we want to install a larger hood at some time in the future.

Cathy

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Lowe's is down the road a piece from me. That was the main reason I didn't shop for my cabinets there. Not so bad for one trip but if I need to go there often, too far to be practical. I'll be ordering my cabinets the 19th so will scope out the ducts available that day. At least now I know what I'm looking for. I'll print your post off, macybaby, and take it with me. Thanks. And if warmfridge has more, I'll print hers off, too. I like being over prepared.

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cathy, pinch and I both live out in the boondocks so we have to get all our ducks in a row when shopping...can't just run to the store and pick up a part.

Pinch, the hood only includes the part of the duct adapter that attaches directly to the hood. You have to buy everything else. Here's a link to the site where you can download the specs, installation guide, and Broan parts list. My GC should have looked at it (as I asked him to) before coming to install the hood the first time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broan E661 documentation

• macybaby
    14 years ago

I live in SD, but close enough to Sioux Falls that I can get there in an hour. So I spent over two hours on the road to get my vent ductwork. However I also make sure to combine trips so most trips to "town" take at least half the day.

I was shocked at how expensive I found the adaptor online - DH was planning on going to a local heating contractor and seeing if they could make one for less. So we were very happy when we found it at Lowes (after checking out both HD and Menards while we were in town).

Living rural can have its disadvantages. I did find that if I'm willing to drive to Omaha, I could actually see slabs of granite in person before making my choice.

Cathy

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Oh, duh! I've seen those broan pdf's just didn't study them. I'd better scope out the available pieces at Menard's next trip....that will be the 19th when I order my cabinets.
    Cathy, I feel for you! My trips to town are less than an hour interstate each way. Rural is good. Inconvenient sometimes but better than being surrounded by people and buildings!
    SO I need the 3 1/4 x 14 adapter. Was that the thing you had trouble finding? I don't think my carpenter planned to reuse my duct work but looking at it just now, it looks like it's what I will be heading to the store to buy.....so why not recycle? And we know it will fit the space since the stove will be in the same or nearly the same spot. The old duct angles off to the side and travels the whole top shelf of the old cupboards exiting through the wall. The Broan PDF shows it with elbows. It seems like every project, no matter how well thought out, requires a trip to somewhere, and all work comes to a stand still in the meantime (with the water or electric or both shut off). I want this OVER! (And it hasn't even begun.)And to top it off, I'm waiting for a blizzard to hit. Can I be having any more fun than this? Probably tomorrow morning when I'm trying to decide whether to go to work........not likely to get there at all on Wednesday. There go two vacation days not spent in my kitchen. Just hope the power doesn't go off. Little wood stove next year!

• bob_cville
    14 years ago

I have the Broan E661 range hood, and have it hooked up so that the hood uses the rear exit on the fan housing, and then enters a 3 1/4 X 14 inch, 90 deg elbow and travels up inside the wall between the studs in a 3 1/4 X 14 rectangular duct, up into the soffit above the cabinets, where it transitions to a 8 in round duct and goes another 18 inches up through the roof.

Except for the two 8" adjustable elbows to go from the transition to the roof, my local Lowes had NONE of the necessary duct pieces.

I ordered the transition and roof cap from AirShack.com. The 3 1/4 X 14 inch, 90 deg elbow was really hard to find. I ended up ordering 2 of them and a 3 foot stretch of 3 1/4 x 14 inch duct from a different online location (that I won't name because they charged $41 for shipping for those three items)

In the end I only needed one of the two 3 1/4 x 14 inch, 90 deg elbows, so if you need one, I have one that is unused, and we could probably work out a deal.

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My hood vent exits directly out the back and through the wall with no elbows. My GC still had to special order the parts.

BTW, bob_cville, your review of your hood helped me make my decision to buy this model. Thank you!

Pinch, it's snowing here again, so no more appliance purchases until spring. Will keep eyeing that induction range though.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

bob_cville, hold that thought. I'll be starting the rip out around Feb. 8. My kitchen is what I am sure is the old front porch to this 1880 farm house. It's the L shape, two story called Folk Victorian. My carpenter thinks he can run the duct through the ceiling joists and out the side wall but I don't know......he says they HAVE to be deep enough to support the roof but again, where is that written? I fully expect to find the corner porch posts as the corner posts for the room. OR they're what's holding up the shelves in the fruit room in the basement. This guy is experienced so I'm not worried about it and if it doesn't work out like he thinks, he'll come up with an idea to solve the problem. He will be in Florida until Feb. 1 so as soon as he's here I'll have him take a look at the hood and then if we need parts I'll get back to you ASAP. Yowzers! $41!! Had you by the short hairs, didn't they!

Warmfridge, I'm sitting here trying to see out the window. The blizzard we are getting tonight/tomorrow could have drifts 10 to 12 feet high. Grumble, grumble. I skipped work today knowing I'd be heading home again at noon so saved myself the aggrevation of even going. I don't want to be here now, I want to be here in February!
    Sears is driving me crazy. I started keeping track of the price of all the ranges; checking them every day. They're different almost every day! And the sale price isn't always the price shown on the web page. AFTER you add it to your cart it shows different. Today if I bought it at the store (NOT on line) it would have been $2800. On the web site it's listed at $2974.99. And no one knows what kind of cord it needs or where to get one. SEARS doesn't know if the range needs a cord or if it's with the range. And if it isn't with the range, which cord does it need? I'm speechless at the ineptness of this whole kitchen process starting with trying to buy that hood locally. I guess I'll wait as long as I can......Sept./Oct. sales are not so far away but it will sure make my counter a challenge.
    120 days from now, we should be winding up winter and I will be a happy camper!

• warmfridge
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pinch,
    I made baked stuffed haddock last night with the hood fan set on low. No fish smell in the house at all, unlike past haddock. I'm really liking this hood.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

That's Good news! I'm still touching mine most days ;-) Still wish I would have seen those LED bulbs 3 weeks ago. Oh, well.
    Will you guys get this next storm? We might be holed up from Tomorrow to Saturday. I hope we don't loose power especially since I didn't do anything about heat after I got the heat pump. My generator won't run it. I had thought maybe a wood burning stove; a little one that I could also warm a can of soup on and with a glass window to provide a bit of light. I didn't act and now it's winter.