Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catman_gw

BS Oven Hinge Adjustment

catman_gw
9 years ago

I've had it for 2 years and I just noticed that the door springs aren't compressing the top of the seal when it's closed. There's a gap. It's probably been like this since it was new. Does anybody know how to adjust it?

Comments (13)

• kingtutt10
    9 years ago

Off topic-
    How is it your post stays at the top dated 12/19 and now it is 12/24 with no reply's. Just curious ,Share the secret ; )

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

^All posts stay at the top until they are replied to (or they go a long period of time with no replies). Unfortunately, it won't anymore, since you bumped it down by replying, making it more difficult for OP to get an answer.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 2:52

• kingtutt10
    9 years ago

Obviously I was just curious hvtech. Sorry old wise one now I know

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

I will ask around. Can you please post the model number?

• catman_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jdoe, thanks for posting. I'm taking a closer look at it and I think "adjustment" is the wrong word for it. I think there's interference with the hinge springs inside the door. The number plate says "V1 Model RNB244B, s/n 1110360". The link below is a post on another board that is about a similar problem. I'm going to try to dissemble the door this week to see what's going on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hinge Springs

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Careful if you disassemble door. If the springs are under tension sometimes and can bite your fingers.

• catman_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I fixed it like JetRooster did. See link. As the door closes the springs extend. The rods inside the springs strike the inner panel before they can extend fully. I cut small notches in the panel to relieve them. Here are before and after pics and the tool that I used. I'll answer any question. If nobody else here has this problem maybe somebody in the future will pull this up in a search.

Here is a link that might be useful: JetRooster's Solution

• catman_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After

• catman_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tool

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

Catman, thanks for the post and the photos. The beauty of this site is that when the search function is working, you can find answers to all sorts of problems, so hopefully, if someone else runs into your type of problem, they can solve it.

• beefstew01
    9 years ago

Great work on the members of this forum solving yet another of bluestar's endless design flaws.

Now what about all that wayward insulation that's going to get caught into the springs and hinge mechanism?

No wonder their door hinges fail--over time the heat carries thru the insulation into the hinge. Why isn't there any spacing or a return flange between the hinge and insulation?

• catman_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree. They don't try to insulate the hinges but the hinge attachment to the door is a sheet metal screw through the hot inner surface of the door so they would be at oven temperature no matter what else they did.

Note: If somebody is trying to do what I did there's no reason to remove this screw.

• beefstew01
    9 years ago

There can be a multitude of changes made to the doors of bluestar ranges.

They have always been stagnant, design-wise, from the very day that they started making the Garland Commercial Industries (now Manitowoc) range for the home.

Granted, the star burner, direct descendant (less power) of Garland's, is solid but it's 35 years old--there's got to be a better way.

prizer-painter has not developed the range in any significant way since its inception.

The first bluestar range from the Garland designs is hardly different from the ones that are made today.