Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Powder coating painting a stainless appliance

julieste
11 years ago

I've read several references to this on forums here. Has anyone actually ever taken a door off a new range and had it painted? I hate stainless, and just looking at ranges that come in colors limits me. I have also had a thought about perhaps getting induction rather than gas, but
Viking is the only one with a colored range--waaaay too pricey.

If you've done this, I'd be interested to hear your experience. I'm not talking about taking an old appliance to have it fixed up; I'm talking about a brand new one and having this done.

Thanks.

I think I'll also post this over on the kitchens forum.

Comments (8)

• Mistman
    11 years ago

Haven't done it yet but there's a place locally that does electrostatic painting on site of appliances/school lockers/commercial bathroom doors etc...anything metallic that can be charged. I'm going to have my new Wolf ovens painted to match my Bluestar in my new construction.
    Here's a link to some of the appliances they've colored.
    http://www.precisionelectrocoat.com/portfolio_appliance.php

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, you're willing to take the risk with those pricey new Wolf ovens!

Have you had any sort of pricing quote for this?

We were also wondering about just using abn autobody shop that has the paint room or whatever they are called.

• Mistman
    11 years ago

Risk is small, my appliance guy asked me the same thing, I told him "I'm that guy" :)
    This isn't really painted in the traditional way more like powder coating but I'm sure a good body shop could do roughly the same thing. Only thing is they may not be able to do textures as with powder coating.

• User
    11 years ago

Powder coating is the more durable option, and yes, they do textures all the time if that's what you want. For something oddball like appliance parts, I'd expect $300-$500 if they actually want the job. If they want to give you a price to just go away, look at them giving you a $700+ quote. Or if you want a custom color mix rather than a standard one. For that they have to play around with the proportions and do a test run, etc. For an range or oven door, I'd probably play it safe and have them do it in the high temp powder coating like they use for exhaust manifolds. You can still get most of the colors in that, but it will add to the bill a bit more.

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually I didn' tunderstand the difference and had just read the term powder coating here. If what I'd want is the standard finish like a painted Viking or Bluestar or like a car, that is not powder coating is it? I guess when we talk texture (something I wouldn't be interested in) is this just slight or heavy texturing?

Thanks.

• lindabiddle
    11 years ago

I just received my 42" island range hood that I had powder coated by Vent-A-Hood and it is gorgeous. I didn't want SS either especially on something that is bound to need cleaning often. I like copper, but wasn't crazy about cleaning that either :( never mind polishing it. The hood now has an aged copper appearance and will be easy to take care of. Powder coating is great.

By the way, about 6 years ago we had metal powder coated sheathing to place around our fascia boards around the exterior of our home here in Tucson because we were tired of painting them every couple of years and they still look like new.

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

llb--Did you order the color through the dealer when you purchased your Vent a Hood? Or, did you take delivery and then seek out this on your own? And, if you don't mind my asking, about how much did it cost for the painted upgrade on the range hood? Thanks.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH