Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saeyedoc

30" all fridge column + freezer drawers, Miele or SZ?

saeyedoc
9 years ago

With our space limitations, I'm looking at a 30" fully integrated all fridge + 24" freezer drawers with an ice maker.
Given that an all fridge eliminates the separate compressor issue, is there any significant difference in performance or reliability between SZ and Miele? Is there another brand we should consider? Will be installing Miele ovens and an induction cooktop if that makes a difference.
The only quality freezer drawers I could find with an ice maker was the SZ, did I miss anything?

Comments (7)

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Went through same brand choice in Sept replacing a b.i. fridge (different model). Basically a tossup but went with Miele and we are very happy with this fridge.

SZ definitely has the cachet and word of mouth. But I didn't see the value of the 1K additional cost of SZ over Miele. Miele interiors are very high quality, lighting is fantastic and I prefer the door style (no big grill). Also, the electronics were tougher for power outages, which was major for us and the decider. Otherwise, it's interior features mostly.

Both offer excellent service, warrantys etc.

Re fridge drawers. Again, SZ has the market. Don't know if anyone else has ice maker or how sizes vary but under counter drawers are also made by Fisher & Paykel, Perlick, Summit, Kitchen Aid, Jenn Air and Electrolux.

If you're researched through those you will know all.

BTW love my Miele oven, now 8 y.o. It has a learning curve but there are older threads here that discuss it, which should be available.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 6:26

• saeyedoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, in what way do you mean the electronics are "tougher for power outages"?

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

We're in the country and outages around here are not uncommon due to tree limbs or severe weather events.

Miele manuals for my DW and oven stated that the appliance restores itself following a power outage as long as it doesn't last longer than 4 days. We've done fine with both of those. In fact, I know the outage is over when I hear the oven chime and see the clock go back on.

Before I purchased the fridge I called Miele and SZ to ask about outage resistance. Miele said "no problem," and if the fridge was out longer than 4 days the freezer needs to be rebooted at a certain temperature -- to call them.

SZ answered very honestly, and with regret, that power outages could eventually void the warranty as the control board could be weakened.

I very much appreciated the SZ candor. Decision made.

We've had 2 outages since the fridge was installed and it's as tough as the dw. Zero issues, which is what I like.

• saeyedoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, great info. There's one place here that has both Miele and SZ, I'll check them both out. I know when I was originally looking at a larger bottom freezer unit, I liked the configuration of the SZ better, mainly due to the smaller freezer, larger fridge.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Honestly, it was very difficult for me to make the decision.

It comes down to small details IMO. I just had the odd issue.
    But the good news is that you can't go wrong either way, really. Good luck with it.

• RChicago
    9 years ago

We haven't installed ours yet (where are those pesky cabinets?!!), but we're going with a Miele 36" all fridge. We felt the interior in the Miele was much nicer than the comparable SZ and we liked the separate drawer controls. We'll pair the 36" all fridge with an 18" freezer. Both paneled.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, though.

• saeyedoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Had the opportunity to see both last week, but not at the same store. I think the Miele did have the nicer interior, I liked the lighting better.