Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dccurlygirl

JennAir Built In Fridge - Opinions?

dccurlygirl
9 years ago

Any strong opinions on the Jenn Air 36" Fully Integrated Built In refrigerator (B36NXFXRE)?

There is a floor model at my local appliance store that's on sale for a great price. I hadn't considered a built in (because of the $$$) and don't know much about this model (other than Whirlpool owns Jenn Air).

Any positives and/or negatives would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Quality is nice. If price is right should buy it. Consider the extended warranty because chances that are the serial number is old and that can present a issue from time to time.

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the warranty suggestion. I can't seem to find many reviews on this Jenn Air and since it's typically so expensive, I worry about the price of replacement parts. The warranty will be a must!

(I thought it was a pretty fridge -- glad to hear it's a good quality piece.)

• arthur_ogus
    9 years ago

We have a Jade refrigerator, which is really a rebranded Jennair, about ten years old. (I know because I have a detailed service manual.) We bought it because it is very nicely laid out inside, with two adjustable temperature drawers. However it has been a complete nightmare in terms of reliability. The sealed system has required work at least three times, and the computer board has been replaced four times. The last time it failed it forgot to turn off the interior lights when the doors were closed, and we were away for a few days. It got so hot inside that, not only did our food spoil, the interior of the refrigerator partially melted, so the lights wouldn't fit any more. The corresponding part is no longer available, and the extended warranty company refused to cover that part, which they said is "nonfunctional." We managed to get it back into rough shape using a heat gun. But now it is failing to hold temperature in the freezer again. Time for a new refrigerator; it won't be Jennair, that's for sure.

• arthur_ogus
    9 years ago

This kind of temperature swing is one of the constant problems we've been having. Typically the freezer temperature would go from 6 to 15 to 0 to 20, then eventually up to 40; at that point we would call the repair people, who would have to empty the system, replace a simple-looking part whose name I don't remember, and recharge it. It starting acting up again a few weeks ago; now it's more or less 20--25 most of the time. Enough is enough.

• arthur_ogus
    9 years ago

May I ask how your repair guy found the "plug"? Ours said there is probably a small leak somewhere that he can't find; hence the need for repeated charging....

• dodge59
    9 years ago

I'm sure the service tech suspected the partial plug when he used the pressure gauges to check the Freon high and low pressures.

A plug or a partial plug would cause excessively high pressures on the "high side", Jenn Air does spell out what these pressures should be in their service manual.

He knew in a few seconds what the problem was, and I had been trying to find the problem for weeks, (grrrr)!!!!

The company I hired were really experts with the Whirlpool appliances, and in fact they don't work on other brands~~~that will be "Bad News" for me, if ever one of my Electrolux appliances breaks~~alto they haven't in 8 years.

I got the name of the service company from Jenn-air when I called JA, they gave me the names of 3 different "JA Approved" service companies in my area.

I checked out ALL Three. Two of the three companies has "Horrific reviews" and had I hired either of those 2 companies, "Most Likely", I would be cussing my JA as you do your Jade!. Fortunately # 3 was a real winner.

There are ways to check for Freon small leaks, including using a dye in the Freon, It really is a shame what some folks have to go through when service is needed, be it an appliance or even a car~~~~It's soooo hard to find competent and honest help!

With a built in fridge, it is especially important to find the kind of help I did, as finding another fridge that "fits perfectly" where the old one was, and including the panels, is not an "Easy task"!!

Gary

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You hit the nail on the head, here, Gary. I am looking at the built-in Jenn Air ONLY because of the clearance price. Under normal circumstances, I would not consider it or any other built-in, so if it fails miserably and expensively in the first 10 years, or so (thinking that's how much longer I'll be in this house), I would be looking to replace it with a standard fridge. I'm remodeling my first floor, including starting all over in the kitchen, so you've given me more to think about than just the quality of the Jenn Air. Thanks!

This post was edited by dccurlygirl on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 18:29

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Glad, I was able to provide you with "Food for thought", (Hopefully, "cold food")!!!!

We had a GE fridge, Stainless Steel before and it was really a Pita to keep it clean and looking nice.

Sooooo, unlike many folks here, we did "NOT" buy the built in fridge to hide it.
    First it is not a "Truly integrated Fridge", even though it is flush with the cabinetry.
    It does have a frame around the doors, if one really looks closely and one can also see the hinges.

Not a problem for us, as we bought a built in fridge for 2 reasons.
    (1) And the most important to us, is the ease it is to keep the wood clean. We have not had to "Scub or polish it like we did the SS fridge in the 8 + years we had the GE. ~~~all it takes is quick swipe of the wood, and not all that often, either!
    (2) We likes the look of the wood, (It matches the rest of the cabinetry).

I would, (and hopefully I won't have to, (at my age, 72) replace it with another built in fridge, even if I had to redo the panels and modify the cabinets for the new one, ~~~we like the built in and paneled that much!!!!
    . .Gary

• dccurlygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha! Yes, "food for thought".
    I definitely love the look of built-ins -- just not the price of them. My concern is how expensive it would be to modify surrounding cabinetry if/when the time comes for a non-built-in.