Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westtoeast

? for Capital Precision owners...

westtoeast
12 years ago

My husband and I have decided on a 36" Capital Precision gas range for our up and coming kitchen remodel. I have heard mostly great things about it, and while I would love a CC, it is just not in our budget. Our local appliance store has a $500 rebate going on through the end of December, bringing the manual clean model down to $3999.

My question is this: does your range scratch easily? One appliance store we were at to see the CP in person had a VERY scratched up model in the showroom. I did a search and couldn't find anyone mentioning this.

Comments (16)

• jscout
    12 years ago

All stainless steel will scratch if you're not careful, especially if it has cast iron grates. The brand doesn't matter. My wife scratched the plate ledge on or CC when she was cleaning it. She didn't want to damage our soapstone counters so she plopped the cast iron grate right on the ledge. I always place the grate on top of another grate. Never on the SS directly.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

jscout.... The scratch on your plate rail / ledge can be removed with a product called scratch be Gone.

• jscout
    12 years ago

Thanks, Trevor!

BTW, Stacey, if you're looking for a Capital, give Trevor a call. He has a shop up in Beverly. You have to see his setup over in the cooking school. You can cook on the ranges! He sells other ranges too and is definitely worth contacting if you have any questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eurostoves

• westtoeast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Peter. I am going to give a Trevor a call this week. And Trevor, thanks for the info on Scratch Be Gone.

• rhivers
    12 years ago

I don't mean to hijack this thread but while we are speaking about appearance issues on the Precision perhaps my question may also be of interest to westoeast. I purchased my Precision before the CC was announced and while I would trade it for a CC in a heart beat, I very highly recommend it notwithstanding my comments which follow. It has scratches but nothing of great concern. However, I have never, ever, been able to get the burner caps or the rings around the burners clean. Every drop of grease seems to immediately form a black stain. I'm not speaking of burnt on polymerized grease (there's some of that too). Any oil or grease that touches it seems to soak in and bond. The same thing happens on the grates but the grates are a black or dark grey porcelainized cast iron so it eventually blends in. The rings and caps have a blue blue-grey matte finish over the cast iron and the black stains are very visible in contrast. Capital suggested soaking them for a few hours in Dawn which led to rust on the bottom of the burner caps but didn't help the stains. I've also tried various degreasers, Barkeepers Friend (which faded the blue finish) and a slurry of water and baking soda (which works great for burnt on grease on pots and pans). I even tried some low fume oven cleaner. I feared it would destroy the finish but instead it rinsed off just same as it started. The baking soda works a bit on fresh stains, but after a year and half I've just come to accept that the stove looks like a cook's tool and not a show piece. That said, I would be grateful for any advice on cleaning this.

• scottdim
    12 years ago

rhivers, I had the same experience with my Precision as well. I would typically get the caps a little wet, let barkeepers friend soak on them for a bit, then scrub the heck out of them. The only drawback was that they appeared to lose some of their luster over time, but nearly all of the dark spots came off. You definitely need to clean after each use which was a pain.

Luckily this is just cosmetic and doesn't affect the cooking experience.

• rhivers
    12 years ago

Thanks scottdim. I tried barkeepers friend and it took the luster off but not the stain. I do agree with your final comment. While I may be jealous of the CC, I have no good things to say about the performance of my Precision.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

rhivers.... Give me a call at the store and i will send you a product at no cost that may do the trick

• rhivers
    12 years ago

Will do. Thanks.

• julier1234
    12 years ago

I tried calling Trevor to find out about the product, but couldn't reach him. Trevor, could you go ahead and post what it is so I can locate it? I have the same issue with stains.

• rhivers
    12 years ago

I spoke with Trevor and it's on it way. The product is Ultra Shine from the folks who make Scratch-B-Gone. Here's a link to it on Trevor's site. I'll let you know how it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultra Shine

• julier1234
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for reporting back. Usually Trevor is great about returning calls, but I'm sure this is a really busy time of year for him.

Please don't forget to report on this because those stains bother me too. I'm also interested in whether or not anyone has had success with Scratch-B-Gone. There are some scratches on my Precision.

• westtoeast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, please report back and let us know if the Ultra Shine works! I JUST placed my order for a 36" Capital Precision with Trevor today, and I'm a little nervous that the cleaning process is going to be an issue.

• rhivers
    12 years ago

Trevor is sending it USPS. Considering that I'm in Canada and it's holiday time it may take a while to arrive, but I'll let you know. In any event, I'm extremely happy with my Precision and I'm sure you will be as well. While Trevor and others make very strong arguments for open burners (and I'll admit a degree of jealousy but the CC wasn't available when I bought my Precision), I find the heat is very intense and reasonably even. I've recently replaced the last of my disc bottomed cookware with fully clad pans and it makes a huge difference in terms of heat distribution and helps remedy any issues caused by the flame being directed around the circumfrence of the sealed burner.

• westtoeast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, rhivers. I have a set of All Clad cookware, so hopefully that will work well for me.
    Anyone care to comment on what hood you have paired with their precession and how you like it?
    Thanks!

• julier1234
    12 years ago

I had a custom hood designed for the Precision. We have the 48" with a grill. It works so well even with the grill full blast.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Fairfax County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living