Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_2_nj

FD Fridge - Distance from wall in order to get drawers out?

new_2_nj
11 years ago

Hi all,

I've asked at the appliance stores and they haven't been helpful. I'm sure in varies from fridge to fridge, but even just a general rule of thumb would be helpful.

We are planning for a one foot broom closet between the fridge and the wall, but when I've been at the appliance store, it seems like you really have to crank open the doors in order to get the drawers out to clean. In fact, in many instances, I couldn't even open the doors far enough in the store b/c the fridge was too close to the one next to it.

I originally thought that one foot would be ample, but now it seems like it really won't be enough. We're planning for a 36" fridge, but I'm thinking off cutting back to 33". I'm not even sure that will help.

Any information or personal stories would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

• nlion
    11 years ago

Your question seems to be a common one. I know I struggled with the same issue. We recently went from a side-by-side (36") to a 36" French door. I couldn't get the drawers out from the side-by-side without pulling the whole fridge out from the wall. I've decided it's based on the exact design of the specific fridge, depth of its doors, design of the drawers, your clearance dimensions, etc. I don't think any sales person could have told us with 100% certainty that any specific fridge would have no door clearance problems. In the long run, we're satisfied with the Viking 36" French door fridge we have now because it looks wonderful, works great, and we can get its "pantry" drawer fully open. I still ended up putting a little round sticky "carpet-like" protector on the edge of the wall where the door could hit it if someone threw the door open. It looks fine and my fridge won't get banged up. I'm not sure if this has been any help? Good luck.

• new_2_nj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, nlion. Approximately how far is your fridge from the wall?

I totally get that it's appliance by appliance specific (especially if there's ice/water, etc, which is of course on the wall side), but I was hoping for at least a general rule of thumb or real success stories (like yours - although I'm not sure that we're prepared to spring for a Viking!).

• nlion
    11 years ago

I just measured: I have 2.25" of space on the right (our wall side) and 1" on the left side (our countertop/cabinet side) of our fridge. I can open both doors

• willtv
    11 years ago

We found the fridge we wanted (a Samsung FD/CD) and measured how much clearance was required to fully open the doors. In our case it was 15". So that's how wide we built the panty cabinet next to the fridge.
    Here's a not so great shot.

• new_2_nj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both! willtv - the picture helps. I was thinking that most of the ones that we saw (primarily Samsung and LG) would require about 15" to fully open. Ugh. I don't want to give up that much space to a storage closet. I may need to look at Viking as I've heard Viking, SubZero, etc require much less clearance to open.

• meek95
    11 years ago

Maybe you should reconsider getting a FD and going with a two door, bottom freezer and have the door open opposite the direction of the pantry. Like nlion I have to pull out my side by side in order to clean the freezer. Since we are remodeling I won't have to do that anymore but it has been a PITA for over 10 years. BTW, mfrs have drawings and measurements on their websites showing the door clearance needed.

• new_2_nj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion meek, but we have that now and I can't stand it. No landing space for the fridge and it just adds to the non-functionality, which we're trying to eliminate in the new space!

• nlion
    11 years ago

The Viking is a "rebadged" fridge. I don't know what the other brand is...maybe someone on here can help. It may be the same as a Kitchenaid? I'm really not sure, but if you find out what the other brand is, you'll surely save some $.

• nlion
    11 years ago

The Viking is a "rebadged" fridge. I don't know what the other brand is...maybe someone on here can help. It may be the same as a Kitchenaid? I'm really not sure, but if you find out what the other brand is, you'll surely save some $.