Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodysapsucker

Brew Express coffee maker

woodysapsucker
9 years ago

Anyone have a Brew Express coffee maker? Our drip pot just died and we're considering a Brew Express since we hate to have big clunky things on our counter and I love the idea of having it plumbed. Before we invest, we wanted to check with current/past owners to see if they are happy with theirs.

I have a couple of questions:
.....is the coffee hot enough after the pot is made?
.....how long does the coffee stay hot in the pot since no burner?
.....does it make a decent cup of coffee?
.....is it convenient to switch filters and get hot water for tea?
.....can the carafe be put in the dishwasher?
.....do you ever use the hot water for anything other than tea?

Comments (2)

• Mistman
    9 years ago

I have one and will answer what I can.
    1. Yes, one of the reasons I got it. Never checked the temp but supposed to be ~205.
    2. About an hour. We have a Bunn w/the thermal carafe and believe it last a bit longer in that one (not interchangeable).
    3. Very subjective. I am not a coffee snob but between my wife and I we do about 4 pots a day and I also drink it at work. My opinion is yes, it makes a pretty decent cup of coffee.
    4. Our micro drawer is under the coffee maker in our "beverage center". I occasionally use the BE for hot water but my DW, who actually heats water quite a bit for the kids, prefers the micro for convenience. It works fine for me, just pull out one basket and put in the other.
    5. Hmmm.....have not done that. I'm kind of a patina guy :) every once in a while my Dw will use baking soda and cream of tater (?) to clean it out. It's spotless when she's done but it doesn't last that long.
    6. Yeah, hot chocolate, kids are nuts for it, usually once a day. Tea is about 15% of our hot bev. intake but that's about it.

I'm a big fan of the BE. I read up quite a bit on automatic coffee machines and while no auto or super auto will appeal to a true coffee snob I read a review where it was actually begrudgingly approved by one. I've never known a true snob to drink as much coffee as we do in our house, kind of a family thing. Having one that works well and makes decent coffee without hassling w/water is great, saves mess and is very convenient. My only 2 real gripes are the relatively short period of time the coffee stays 'HOT', it'll stay drinkable for a couple hours before it needs 'nuked', but is only really hot for about an hour (usually not a problem). One nice thing is that the coffee doesn't continue to cook so even if left for a while can still be passable nuked while a fresh pot is brewing. Second is that when entertaining a larger group it won't keep up, pots too small. Having a 2nd carafe would cure that as the water doesn't need to heat up and can go continuously.
    One great thing w/the BE is that one morning about 1/2 thru a pot it just quit. Why is that a good thing? It was about 4 months out of warranty, we got a hold of the company, they sent us a box, checked it out/fixed it and had it back to us withing 10 days free of charge no questions asked. That's great and something that will allow me to throw my trust behind a company.
    We have a big brewer for gatherings and a back-up Bunn, just in case. We've had ours for almost 2 years now, still love it. Having to go with out it for 10 days made us appreciate it all the more.
    BTW- I don't work for nor do I have any affiliation with the company, just in case you were wondering about my glowing review :)

• woodysapsucker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks so much Mistman for answering all of my questions plus - greatly appreciated