Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
building_a_house_gw

Prestige Power Pack: Should I Convert 6" Vent to 8"?

building_a_house
11 years ago

I am going to buy a 34" Prestige Power Pack with the 600 CFM blower for my 36" rangetop.

The Prestige has only a 6" exhaust pipe but they do sell a 6" to 8" round duct transition. This is going to be installed in a custom cabinet type hood with nothing but open attic space above. So it will be relatively easy to use a 8" or even a 10" duct if needed or wanted and run it straight up and out the roof above the attic.

So my question is: Should I upgrade to a larger duct? If so is an 8" sufficient or should I upgrade to a 10"?

Here is a link that might be useful: Prestige Power Pack

Comments (17)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

What is underneath the hood?

• weissman
    11 years ago

Going with a larger duct will give you more flexibility in the future.

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

36" six burner l.p. rangetop. Won't be using more than 2-3 at a time. No oven underneath (separate double ovens).

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Who is the manufacturer for your 36" six burner rangetop? Pertinent to your question, how many BTU's do the individual 2 to 3 burners you plan to use max out at? High burner power can pack a punch and modify venting plans.

Also, always smart to check with your city/county codes on venting as well as if make up air to replace that vented out is required. Good luck.

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wolf 6 burner. As I mentioned rarely if ever will I be using multiple burners on high.

• fran415
    11 years ago

It depends on your stove, what kind of cooking you do, etc...But, if it's not too expensive, I'd put in the 10". If you have, or ever might have, a commercial style range with high BTU burners (Wolf, Viking, BlueStar) you need the highest CFM possible 1000+, and most hoods of this strength require a 10" duct. Also, if you ever might sell your house, buyers might expect to have the option. Hope this helps!

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Really a range larger than 36" is not possible in the space where it is being installed.

I have read really conflicting things here at GW that state that going with 1000 CFM for how I am going to use the range, for example, is complete overkill and not worth the money.

I have read multiple reports from users that use a ~600 CFM with 6 burners and most are absolutely thrilled with their performance of their hoods.

Not looking to spend $2000 on a hood for how I cook as I am likely not going to need it.

And I am not planning on ever selling the house. :)

So the question remains: 6"? 8"? or 10"?

This post was edited by building_a_house on Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 20:18

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

If I recall correctly, a Wolf all gas 6 burner range has a depth of 28 inches some to 29 inches some for dual fuel. Lovely range btw, nice choice. All 15 K burners.

Just a comment that the Prestige Power Pack vent hood has a depth of 15". Many of us are moving towards 24" depths in vent hoods to theoretically allow greater burner effluent capture front to back. Less grease around the kitchen etc...

I'd try to bump up to an 8" duct for better venting since your run is so straightforward. Check what Wolf says is needed in terms of CFM's in your spec sheet.

If your house is tight (not a lot of air leakage) or you live where MUA is required if vent hood venting > 450 cfm, then you need to plan for this too. Your HVAC installer and the Manufacturer may assist you.

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Sparkling - Thanks for the post.

The 24" depth is interesting. I will have to take a look. This is going into a cabinet style hood so the shorter depth may actually work better.

Wolf recommends 900 CFM but again as I have read there are users that are thrilled with 600 CFM - especially how it will be used. We aren't going to ever use more than 3-4 burners and if we ever did they wouldn't be on high.

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks like the Wolf is 28.5" deep. And the Prestige hood is 15" deep.

Problem?

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Lovely. Can imagine you there. If your plans aren't signed off, maybe you might look at "bumping out" the ventilation cabinets as seen in the below link. Scroll down a few; there's a Wolf. Might give you slightly more options on depth of coverage over your new range which I'm salivating over.

I'd probably take it up to an 8" duct for efficiency sake, ease of run and future venting options.

Good luck to you. Looks as it's all coming together nicely. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful Link:

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

The greater the depth of your hood, the greater the effluent capture theoretically. I would be looking at hoods or inserts 20" to 24" in depth as with 15" you mainly get back burner coverage at the front burners cost. And most of us like our front burners...

It will work out. Talk with your appliance store people and HVAC man.

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Sparkling --- That's exactly what this kitchen was missing. I absolutely love it and can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. I am sending it over to my cabinet designer right now.

Any recommendations on a good hood that is more than 15" deep?

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

I really don't have any personal recommendations, as I haven't researched that yet. I do hear good comments on Best by Broan (see link). Modernaire Vent Hoods make 24" but are very expensive as they are premium. Zephyr Hoods are good too.

http://bestrangehoods.com/store/products/catalog.aspx

Here's a link on ChefTalk, which discusses a lot of what you brought up on "over powering" as well as the "depth" issue.

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/69279/sizing-a-hood

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again.

I am really liking this hood. Seems to be perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Hood

• kaseki
    11 years ago

Generally, larger ducting is better for lower pressure loss, ignoring differences in cost. However, for cooking effluent ducting, too large can lead to increased grease collection on the duct walls by condensation at low air velocities, while too small can lead to grease collection on the duct walls by turbulent impact at high air velocities. This seems to depend, based on experiment, on whether the ducting is warm or cold, which depends on whether or not the ducting is long and/or in a very cold attic.

Short ducts warm up easily and so will long ducts if the temperature is not too low and the vent fan is started well before the steak searing begins. So, warm means that duct velocities not too below 1000 fpm are fine, but cold means that velocities should be higher -- 1500 or so.

Duct velocity in feet per minute equals air flow rate (cubic feet per minute) divided by the area of the duct in square feet.

Usually with variable speed ventilation, the actual air speed will be all over the place, but one should strive for best practice.

kas

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now that was some technical educational material right there.

Thanks.